|Study Period:||2019- 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The green data center market was valued at USD 53.19 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach a value of USD 181.91 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 23.01 % during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The concern regarding the growing percentage of energy consumption by data centers, over the years, has alerted the governments globally to regulate energy consumption, which is the primary factor for driving the green data center market.
- As cloud computing becomes more energy-efficient and increasingly relies on renewable sources, other industry verticals such as manufacturing, transportation, and buildings are expected to turn to green data centers to reduce their own emissions. For instance, a car manufacturer has the option to outsource all of its in-house computing to zero-emission data centers.
- According to Huawei, the global estimate of data center demand is expected to increase by 3 to 10 times by 2030. Green data center, which provides effective and eco-friendly solutions in terms of data storage and reduction in energy consumption, is expected to witness great demand, owing to the positive outlook of the data center storage needs and new constructions, which has been brought about due to the regulations and the anticipated rise in need to reduce the operational expenditure.
- Moreover, due to the rise of artificial intelligence, machine learning, big data, and the Internet of Things, the data centers’ global electricity consumption will continue to increase, which is another driving factor for green data centers.
- Despite the long-term savings and ROI, the renewable energy data centers have a high initial investment cost. A green data center solution consists of green power and cooling infrastructure solutions, coupled with energy-efficient equipment and management system, which are the factors driving the demand for green data centers over the other data centers.
- COVID-19 is expected to drive the demand for green data centers. This is due to factors such as acceleration of cloud data center services, growing reliance on data center automation, driving up of hardware reuse as a primary challenge, greater remarketing of data center hardware, and increased environmental awareness due to COVID-19.
Scope of the Report
A green data center is a repository for the storage, management, and distribution of data, in which the mechanical, electrical, lighting, and computer systems are designed to provide maximum energy efficiency and minimum environmental impact. The construction and operation of a green data center include advanced technologies and strategies.
|Cloud Service Providers|
|By Industry Vertical|
|Telecom and IT|
|Other Industry Verticals|
|Middle East and Africa|
Key Market Trends
Power Segment to Hold a Significant Market Share
- Green data centers are designed to obtain maximum energy efficiency and have a minimum environmental impact. Greater energy efficiency is the primary need, as these data centers’ power consumption and cooling issues are two of the biggest issues organizations face across the world.
- Controlling these operational costs has become necessary to optimize the business processes and remain competitive in the market.
- Power is a significant part of green data center investments. Both low-power solutions and efficient solutions help organizations to meet their desired objectives. Datacenter energy costs have exceeded the overall investments in equipment rooms and auxiliary devices.
- However, results from recent researches have shown that this trend is slowing down due to the effective green efficiency measures taken up in mature markets of the United States and Europe.
- With the increasing electricity usage, increased billings, and increasing emissions of CO2 from these data centers, the need for green data centers is set to increase, thereby driving the market forward.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America Occupies the Largest Market Share
- The North American region holds the largest share in the green data center market, owing to the presence of a large number of services and software providers, which also drive the market forward. According to the Department of Energy, data centers account for about 2% of all electricity use in the US.
- The expansion of mobile broadband, the emergence of 5G, growth in Big Data analytics, and cloud computing are the primary factors driving the demand for new data center infrastructures in this region.
- North America, comprising a considerable amount of data centers and a large number of enterprises switching from hardware to software-based services, is expected to impact the market significantly and be a lucrative market for data center transformation. Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook all have pledged to convert their data centers into green data centers in the near future.
- The North American region also contributes substantially to the global data center requirements from the IT, BFSI, retail, and healthcare industries. In addition, data center service providers in the region are prompted to manage their operating costs, as the region seems to be a lucrative market, considering the number of data centers and their expansions.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The green data center market is highly competitive, owing to many players in the market running their business domestically and internationally. The market appears to be moderately concentrated. The key strategies adopted by the major players are product innovation and mergers and acquisitions. Some of the major players in the market are Cisco Technology Inc., IBM Corporation, Dell EMC Inc., Fujitsu Ltd, among others.
- September 2021 - Schneider Electric and the Enel Group announced the Net Zero Carbon Cities Toolbox beta version at Sustainable Development Impact Summit. This toolbox contains a range of decarbonization solutions for urban transformation in buildings, mobility, data centers, and water management.
- August 2021 - Hewlett Packard (HPE) collaborated with Patrick Terminals, Australia's largest container terminal operator. With the help of this collaboration HPE's GreenLake, the edge-to-cloud platform, will power the IT infrastructure of Patrick Terminal. The partnership will help Patrice Terminals manage information inputs from importers, shipping lines, industry regulators, and exporters without delays and latency.
- September 2021 - Sparkle, the first international service provider, announced the first green data center in Greece called Metamorfosis II. The data center is fully integrated with Sparkle's Tier-1 global backbone Seabone and pan-Mediterranean optical network, Nibble, to provide high-speed connectivity and offer a rich ecosystem in connectivity at the international and domestic level.
- August 2021 - The Norwegian government announced the new strategy for all data centers in the country as a part of a commitment to digitalization and the data-driven economy. These strategies include new measures on job creation and sustainable growth. Due to cold weather, building green and efficient data centers in Norway is ideal, and renewable sources generate 98% electricity supply.
- March 2021 - ST Telemedia Global Data Centres (GDC) announced a renewed strategy to drive sustainability in 120 facilities in the United Kingdom, China, Thailand, India, and Singapore. The Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) strategy focus on making all facilities net carbon neutral by 2030.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGTHS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3.5 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Demand for Data Storage
5.1.2 Focus on Energy Efficiency
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Higher Initial Investments
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Service
6.1.1 System Integration
6.1.2 Monitoring Service
6.1.3 Professional Service
6.1.4 Other Services
6.2 By Solution
6.2.3 Management Software
6.2.4 Networking Technologies
6.2.6 Other Solutions
6.3 By User
6.3.1 Colocation Providers
6.3.2 Cloud Service Providers
6.4 By Industry Vertical
6.4.2 Financial Services
6.4.4 Telecom and IT
6.4.5 Other Industry Verticals
6.5 By Geography
6.5.1 North America
6.5.3 Asia Pacific
6.5.4 Latin America
6.5.5 Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Fujitsu Ltd
7.1.2 Cisco Technology Inc.
7.1.3 HP Inc.
7.1.4 Dell EMC Inc.
7.1.5 Hitachi Ltd
7.1.6 Schneider Electric SE
7.1.7 IBM Corporation
7.1.8 Eaton Corporation
7.1.9 Vertiv Corporation
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Green Data Center Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Green Data Center Market?
The Green Data Center Market is growing at a CAGR of 23.01% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Green Data Center Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Green Data Center Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Green Data Center Market?
Cisco Technology Inc., IBM Corporation, Dell EMC Inc., Fujitsu Ltd, Hitachi Ltd are the major companies operating in Green Data Center Market.