|Study Period:||2019- 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Middle-East and Africa|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Glass Bottles and Containers Market with a production of 689.94 units in 2020 was valued at USD 58.64 billion in 2020, and it is expected to be valued at USD 78.41 billion, and reach 922.43 billion units by 2026, registering a CAGR of 4.18%, during the forecast period 2021-2026. COVID-19 outbreak created a growing necessity for industries in the F&B sector to focus more on hygiene and sanitization and given the current situation, people, nowadays, are opting for a healthy and sustainable lifestyle. As most of the products in this sector are included in essential services, it becomes crucial for the packaging sector to follow conservative practices.
- Alcoholic drinks, like beer, accounted for the largest segment of the market, as glass does not react with the chemicals present in drinks and, therefore, preserves the aroma, strength, and flavor of these beverages, making it a favorable option for packaging. Due to this reason, a majority of the beer volume is transported in glass bottles, and this trend is expected to continue over the study period. Glass packaging is 100% recyclable, which makes it a desirable packaging option from the environmental point of view. 6 ton of recycled glass directly save 6 ton of resources and reduce the emission of CO2 by 1 ton.
- One of the main factors driving the growth of the market is the increase in beer consumption worldwide. Beer is one of the alcoholic beverages that use glass bottles for packaging. It is packed in dark-colored glass bottles to preserve the contents, which are prone to spoilage when exposed to UV light.
- There has been an increasing trend of transparency in food packaging over the past few years. Going beyond the listed ingredients on the label, consumers also want to see the physical product before purchase. In order to capture this trend, many companies, especially dairy product companies, have started offering their products in transparent glass containers.
- High competition from substitute packaging like plastic, metal is challenging the market’s growth. Incremental advancements in plastic packaging solutions are posing a threat to the market studied. This can be primarily attributed to the popularity of plastics, such as polyethylene terephthalate (PET), as substitutes for glass bottle formats.
Scope of the Report
Glass bottles and containers provide an ideal way to keep the consumables safe, fresh, and healthy for a longer period and ease transport. Glass bottles and containers are majorly used in the alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverage industry, due to their ability to maintain chemical inertness, sterility, and non-permeability. The Global Glass Bottles and Containers Market is segmented by End-user Vertical (Beverages, Food, Cosmetics, Pharmaceutical), and Geography.
|Other End-user Verticals|
Key Market Trends
Milk is expected to Account for Significant Market Share
- The global dairy industry has been witnessing a backward shift from plastic to glass bottles. Driven by consumer demand for environmentally friendly milk, many small dairy market players choose to sell their products in reusable bottles. The demand for glass bottles in the milk industry has been increasingly more in Europe, when compared to other regions.
- DiaryDrop, based in Alderly Edge, which has 3,000 customers in Cheshire, announced a significant reversal in the glass milk bottle delivery trend. Another Cheshire-based milk supplier, Creamline Dairies, witnessed an increase of 85% in the number of people getting glass bottles delivered since last year.
- Moreover, with companies, such as A.B. Munroe Dairy United States, taking several initiatives to encourage people to use glass bottles by providing door-to-door delivery of fresh milk bottles, the market studied, especially in the sub-urban regions of the United States, is expected to grow over the forecast period.
- Dairy firms across the United Kingdom have witnessed a surge in demand for milk in glass bottles. About 17 out of 20 dairy businesses, researched by BBC News, have observed a surge in sales of glass milk bottles to homes and businesses amid concern over plastic waste.
- The Pan-UK company, Milk & More, and East-London dairy giant, Parker Dairies, have found a substantial increase in the demand for glass bottles. Most of the dairies from London mentioned that most of the change is from their younger consumers whose families seem more than willing to pay a little extra for the service rather than the plastic, in their efforts to help the environment.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific is Expected to Hold the Largest Market Share
- The Asia Pacific region is expected to register a significant growth rate compared to other nations owing to an increase in demand for pharmaceutical and chemical industries, which prefers glass packaging because of the inert nature of glass bottles. China, India, Japan, and Australia among others are the prominent nations majorly contributing to the growth of the Asia Pacific glass packaging market.
- The pharmaceutical and healthcare sector in China is one of the largest markets in the world, mainly driven by its ageing population. Due to the recent regulatory changes in the country, the foreign pharmaceutical companies are facing difficulties in conducting business, especially when it comes to market entry and price control. Hence, there is a potential growth opportunity for the domestic players as they might experience an increase in demand for glass bottles and containers from these companies.
- In India, only the reusage of glass packaging solution, especially bottles, is increasing. As the Indian consumers are emphasizing on health, they are showing preference toward glass packaging over other options, as it prevents leaching from its surface. Also, the country comprises many companies, including Hindustan National Glass and Asahi India Glass, offering glass packaging solutions across the industries.
- Japan boasts of one of the fastest-growing pharmaceutical industries after the United States, and is continuously focusing on strong innovation and patent drugs. The Government of Japan is also contributing to the growth through deregulations for international companies to invest, thus driving the pharmaceutical market in the country.
- Additionally, international companies are extensively investing in pitching to the Chinese market. For instance, Givaudan has invested USD 100 million for forming its new production hub for its fragrance business. The plant is expected to start operation by 2020.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The glass bottles and containers market is highly competitive and fragmented. Few of the major companies in this market are Owens-Illinois Inc., Hindustan National Glass & Industries Ltd, Vitro, S.A.B. De CV, Amcor Ltd, etc. These established vendors with strong access to distribution channels have a strong foothold in the market studied.
- Feb 2021 - ALPLA Group announced that it would be investing up to EUR 250 million in globalizing its recycling activities between 2021 and 2025, in order to close the materials cycle in as many regions as possible. This is expected to help the company reduces the logistical effort related to its packaging solutions and helps the company to achieve the overall objective of reducing CO2 emissions and actively bring the circular economy forward.
- April 2021 - Resilux announced a major new technology investment which will result in them doubling their bottle-to-bottle PET recycling capacity. Using state of the art equipment from Erema, it is Resilux’s latest step in their drive to create a truly circular economy in PET. The equipment is expected to be installed at the company’s Bilten location in Switzerland where the Resilux Group Recycling competence center is based
- April 2021- Alpha Packaging, announced the recent acquisition of Boxmore Plastics Limited, a leading manufacturer of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) plastic packaging for the beverage, industrial, concentrates, healthcare and food markets, located in Ballyconnell, County Cavan, Ireland. This acquisition of Boxmore supports Alpha’s strategy of geographic expansion and is expected to strengthen its presence in the European market.
- Aug 2021 - ALPLA Group announced the acquisition of Wolf Plastics Group to expand its product portfolio increase its presence in Central and Southeastern Europe. The company intends to use the Wolf Plastic’s expertise in the manufacture of plastic buckets and canisters to expand its product portfolio.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Industry Policies
4.5 Market Drivers
4.5.1 Higher Disposable Income and Integration in Premium Packaging
4.5.2 Improved Technology Offering Better Solutions
4.6 Market Restraints
4.6.1 High Competition from Substitute Packaging Solutions
4.6.2 Operation and Logistical Concerns
4.7 Assessment of Impact of Covid-19 on the Market
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 End-user Vertical
126.96.36.199 Soft Drinks
5.1.5 Other End-user Verticals
5.2.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.2.3 Asia Pacific
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.2.4 Latin America
22.214.171.124 Rest of Latin America
5.2.5 Middle East and Africa
126.96.36.199 United Arab Emirates
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles*
6.1.1 Owens-Illinois Inc.
6.1.2 Vidrala SA
6.1.3 Ardagh Packaging Group PLC
6.1.4 Wiegand-Glas GmBH
6.1.5 Verallia Packaging SAS (Horizon Holdings II SAS)
6.1.6 Vetropack Holding Ltd
6.1.7 Stölzle Glass Group (CAG Holding GmbH)
6.1.8 AGI Glasspack Ltd
6.1.9 Hindustan National Glass & Industries Ltd
6.1.10 Vitro SAB de CV
6.1.11 Consol glass (Pty) Ltd
6.1.12 Carib Glassworks Ltd
6.1.13 Gerresheimer AG
6.1.14 Middle East Glass Manufacturing Co SAE
6.1.15 Toyo Glass Co. Ltd (Toyo Seikan Group)
6.1.16 BA Glass BV
6.1.17 Piramal Glass Ltd
6.1.18 Verescence France
6.1.19 APG Europe
6.1.20 Saver Glass
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Global Glass Bottles and Containers Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Global Glass Bottles and Containers Market?
The Global Glass Bottles and Containers Market is growing at a CAGR of 4.18% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Global Glass Bottles and Containers Market?
Middle-East and Africa is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Global Glass Bottles and Containers Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Global Glass Bottles and Containers Market?
Owens-Illinois Inc., Ardagh Packaging Group Plc, Vidrala, S.A., Verallia Packaging SAS (Horizon Holdings II SAS) , Wiegand-Glas GmBH are the major companies operating in Global Glass Bottles and Containers Market.