Botulinum Toxin Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Botulinum Toxin Market Analysis
The botulinum toxin market was valued at USD 4,655.53 million in the base year, and it is expected to register a CAGR of 9.5% during the forecast period.
- COVID-19 had a significant impact on the growth of the market during the pandemic period. This was due to the reduction of botulinum toxin procedures due to the imposition of strict lockdown restrictions and the postponement of non-elective surgeries such as cosmetic surgeries. For instance, according to the report published in the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, around 4,401,536 Botulinum Toxin Type A minimally-invasive procedures were performed in 2020, a 13% decrease from the Botulinum Toxin Type A procedures performed in the previous year.
- The decline in the number of surgeries was due to the strict regulations imposed by governments across different countries due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which highly affected the studied market. However, the resumption of cosmetic surgeries after the relaxation of strict guidelines on non-elective aesthetic procedures during the post-pandemic situations is expected to contribute to the market's growth over the coming five years.
- Various factors are currently driving the growth of the global botulinum toxin market. These include the increasing demand for aesthetic procedures, growing research and development initiatives to expand the therapeutic applications of botulinum toxin, and growing patient preference for non-invasive or minimal treatments coupled with novel product development.
- The increasing demand for aesthetic procedures is expected to be the major driver for the market's growth over the forecast period. The survey conducted by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons in 2022 mentioned that in the United States, 76% of plastic surgeons witnessed increased demand for cosmetic procedures and 23% reported that their business has doubled. The report also mentioned that Botulinum Toxin Type A is one of the top minimally invasive cosmetic procedures among patients during 2021-2022. Such increasing demand for botulinum toxin procedures is expected to contribute to the market's growth over the forecast period.
- Also, growing applications for the therapeutic usage of botulinum toxin in various non-cosmetic procedures such as dystonia, migraine, and others are expected to contribute to the growth of the market over the forecast period. Moreover, the prevalence of various disorders in which the botulinum toxin can be used as the potential therapy is expected to drive the demand for the botulinum toxin, thereby contributing to the market's growth.
- For instance, an article published by AAN in January 2021 mentioned that the prevalence of dystonia tremor in the international cross-sectional cohort study varied from 36.9% to 48.4% in the United States. Also, the increasing clinical trials market player for treating diseases using botulinum toxin is expected to contribute to the market's growth.
- For instance, in September 2022, AEON Biopharma reported positive topline results from the phase-2 clinical trial of ABP-450 (prabotulinumtoxinA) in 6treatment of cervical dystonia in adults. Such clinical trials and product development activities by various market players are expected to contribute to the market's growth over the forecast period.
- Furthermore, innovative product launches to meet the growing demand for botulinum toxin are expected to boost the market's growth. For instance, in January 2021, Maypharm launched a botulinum toxin, METOX, which is an effective solution for smoothing any wrinkles from severe to moderate caused by daily active facial movements.
- Thus, the increasing demand for botulinum toxin in cosmetic and non-cosmetic applications and frequent product launches are expected to drive the market's growth over the forecast period. However, adverse effects associated with botulinum toxin and the lack of reimbursement policies supporting cosmetic procedures are expected to restrain the market's growth over the forecast period.
Botulinum Toxin Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Botulinum Toxin Market according to our research experts:
Glabellar Lines Segment is Expected to Hold Significant Share in the Market Over the Forecast Period
- The glabellar lines segment is expected to hold a significant market share over the forecast period. The botulinum toxin- A is the most preferred non-surgical treatment to improve the appearance of glabellar lines. The glabellar lines, also called the 'eleven', are the vertical lines that develop between the eyebrows due to frowning, scowling, or merely focusing while listening or reading. These lines occur due to regular and repeated muscle contractions that control the movement between the eyebrows. These repeated movements cause a loss of skin elasticity, resulting in the formation of deep wrinkles, which can even be seen when the muscle is relaxed.
- The major factors leading to increased glabellar lines are natural aging, exposure to harsh sunlight, and mental stress. Such occurrences of glabellar lines are expected to contribute to the demand for botulinum toxin, thereby contributing to market growth.
- The increasing launch of products and approvals for treating glabellar lines is expected to impact the market positively. For instance, in September 2022, the United States Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) approved daxibotulinumtoxinA-Ianm injection (Daxxify) to temporarily improve the appearance of moderate to severe glabellar lines in adults. Similarly, in June 2022, Galderma obtained topline results from two phase-3 clinical studies demonstrating that RelabotulinumtoxinA improves glabellar lines with a rapid onset of action and a long duration of up to six months.
- Thus, the factors such as rising demand for the treatment of glabellar lines and the launch of effective botulinum toxin products for the treatment of glabellar lines are expected to contribute to the growth of the botulinum toxin market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Hold Significant Share in the Market Over the Forecast Period
- North America is expected to dominate the global market over the forecast period. The major factors such as rising demand for aesthetic procedures, the prevalence of various disorders, and growing research and development activities for the therapeutic applications of botulinum toxin are expected to contribute to the growth of the market over the forecast period in this region.
- For instance, according to the report published in the American Society of Plastic Surgeons in 2020, among cosmetic minimally-invasive procedures, there were around 4,136,289 botulinum toxin procedures performed on females and over 265,247 botulinum toxin procedures performed on males in the United States.
- Similarly, a survey conducted by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) in 2022 revealed that patients aged 31- 45 years most commonly seek botulinum toxin type A cosmetic procedures. Such rising adoption of botulinum toxin procedures is also expected to drive the demand for the growth of the market over the forecast period.
- Additionally, the increasing product launches and product approvals for cosmetic and non-cosmetic applications are expected to contribute to the growth of the market. For instance, Also, in March 2022, Aquavit Pharmaceuticals, Inc submitted its investigation of a New drug for botulinum toxin (DTX-021) to the Food and Administration for approval. The DTX-021 is a botulinum toxin type A drug intended for the treatment of moderate to severe glabellar lines. Similarly, in April 2021, Aquavit Holdings LLC acquired an exclusive license to register, market, and commercialize a botulinum toxin (DTX-021) in the United States and Canada.
- Hence, the factors such as rising demand for aesthetic procedures, the presence of major market players, and frequent product launches are expected to contribute to the growth of the market in this region.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Botulinum Toxin Industry Overview
The botulinum toxin market is moderately fragmented in nature due to the presence of several market players. The competitive landscape includes an analysis of a few international as well as local companies which hold market shares. Major companies in the market are Galderma, Evolus, Inc., Merz Pharma GmbH & Co. KGaA, AbbVie Inc. (Allergan), and Ipsen Pharma, among others.
Botulinum Toxin Market Leaders
AbbVie Inc. (Allergan)
Merz Pharma GmbH & Co. KGaA
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Botulinum Toxin Market News
- October 2022: Hugel announced today the acceptance of its Biologics License Application for letibotulinumtoxinA, by the USFDA. The FDA considered the resubmission a Class 2 response and has assigned a April 6, 2023 action date per the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA).
- July 2022: Fastox Pharma launched the long-lasting botulinum toxin LAST technology at the 'Toxins 2022 International Conference'. Fastox discovered that combining botulinum toxin type A (BoNT/A) with fast-acting myorelaxant drugs is anticipated to accelerate the BoNT/A onset of action.
Botulinum Toxin Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Demand for Aesthetic Procedures
4.2.2 Growing Research and Development Initiatives to Expand the Therapeutic Applications of Botulinum Toxin
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Adverse effects Associated with Botulinum Toxin
4.3.2 Lack of Reimbursement Policies Supporting Cosmetic Procedures
4.4 Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Value - USD Million)
5.1 By Application
5.1.1 Cosmetic Applications
220.127.116.11 Glabellar lines
18.104.22.168 Lateral canthal lines (crow's feet)
22.214.171.124 Forehead Lines
126.96.36.199 Other Cosmetic Applications
5.1.2 Non-Cosmetic Applications
188.8.131.52 Chronic migraine
184.108.40.206 Ophthalmologic disorders
220.127.116.11 Other Non-cosmetic Applications
5.2 By End User
5.2.1 Spas and Beauty Centers
5.2.2 Clinics and Hospitals
5.3.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.3.3 Asia Pacific
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Middle East and Africa
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle East and Africa
5.3.5 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Merz Pharma GmbH & Co. KGaA
6.1.2 AbbVie Inc. (Allergan)
6.1.3 Evolus, Inc.
6.1.4 Revance Therapeutics Inc.
6.1.5 HUGEL, Inc.
6.1.6 Ipsen Pharma
6.1.7 US WorldMeds LLC
6.1.10 Hugh Source International
6.1.12 Daewoong Pharmaceuticals
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Botulinum Toxin Market Research FAQs
What is the current Botulinum Toxin Market size?
The Botulinum Toxin Market is projected to register a CAGR of 9.5% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Botulinum Toxin Market?
Evolus, Inc., AbbVie Inc. (Allergan), Merz Pharma GmbH & Co. KGaA, Ipsen Pharma and Galderma are the major companies operating in the Botulinum Toxin Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Botulinum Toxin Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Botulinum Toxin Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the Botulinum Toxin Market.
Botulinum Toxin Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Botulinum Toxin market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Botulinum Toxin analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.