Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems in Laboratories Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems in Laboratories Market Analysis
AS/RS have emerged as one of the most dynamic solutions in the field of material handling equipment and are mainly deployed in warehouses and distribution centers. Despite gaining initial traction in the manufacturing sector, other sectors such as food & beverage, life sciences, etc., have gradually realized the benefits of using AS/RS across various phases in the supply chain, ranging from mundane to complex tasks.
Various healthcare centers are collaborating with hospitals to consolidate the medical supply warehouses. The ideology is to increase the throughput that healthcare facilities require. Implementation of AS/RS has led to an average of 70% of the SKUs, including bandages, needles, gauze, laboratory devices, catheters, masks, and respiratory devices, for storage and picking purposes, which can be automated through carousels and pick light towers.
Additionally, hospitals have also started using these systems for developing "patient-centric" automated storage and retrieval systems that allow for minimizing inventory while maintaining the accurate and timely delivery of medicines. This has proven to be a very effective method of cost-cutting, and therefore, the use of AS/RS in hospitals is expected to show significant growth during the study period.
Material handling is incomplete without efficient storage systems. Automated storage systems enhance the efficacy of an organization by providing users with increased inventory control and tracking and greater flexibility to address changing business conditions. These systems also help reduce labor costs and workforce requirements and increase workplace safety.
Currently, with the increasing manufacturing activities and expanding transportation and logistics industry globally, companies are adopting advanced manufacturing techniques. Firms are also looking to expand and upgrade their factories, warehouses, and existing facilities. This is driving the adoption of new AS/RS in order to improve productivity, efficiency and to reduce labor costs. Vendors are also aiming to design advanced control systems that provide an interface between AS/RS equipment and higher-level software applications.
Stacker cranes have played a dominant role in material handling and find major applications in warehouses that prefer relatively slow storage and retrieval operations. These systems are generally preferred in warehouses that are under construction rather than established warehouses, as modification operations can involve rearranging the entire racking architecture.
The capabilities of AS/RS systems have improved in recent years. AS/RS cranes have transitioned into new double-decker cranes with upper and lower levels from single-load cranes to dual-load. These cranes have the capability to retrieve about eight different items, driven by software. Through retrofits, advanced cranes and modules are serving both as storage and picking technology.
Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems in Laboratories Industry Segmentation
Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems (abbreviated as AS/RS) have undergone technological innovation, ranging from the incorporation of onboard processors, actuators to new forms of control processors to enable better performance and system utilization.
ASRS is most beneficial in warehouse applications but is also being implemented in laboratories. These systems save a large floor space, which is a crucial factor in tightly knit operations. With the evolution of technology, the flow and control of materials have become better. The equipment offers better visualization and the ability to handle variability, variety, and volume at higher speeds, thus, generating increased value.
Rapid progress in the manufacturing of hardware systems and control components has been driving these advancements. The need to get the right tools, fixtures, pallets, and parts at the right time and the right place has led to the adoption of AS/RS.
The scope of the study for the automated storage and retrieval systems market is limited to the hardware product systems offered by various vendors for their applications in a wide range of end-user verticals globally. The after-sales services and maintenance are not considered for market estimation.
Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems in Laboratories Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems in Laboratories Market according to our research experts:
Increased Emphasis on Value of Development
- The workforce is a company’s greatest asset as productivity depends entirely on the well-being of its workforce. Hence, the safety of the workplace, which deals with the prevention of any sort of injury or incident, becomes critical.
- Labs of all sizes are facing the same challenges: shortage of laboratory technologists and technicians, historic financial pressures on hospitals and health systems, and physically and mentally exhausted laboratory professionals. This pre-pandemic problem has since been exacerbated.
- The OSHA of 1970 from the US Government has been promoting the use of automation and robotics in the factory to make work safer, thus protecting the physical well-being of the employee. Moreover, several regulatory standards have been prescribing threshold conditions in terms of temperature and environmental conditions under which workers are supposed to perform their duties. AS/RS can be widely used in conditions where it is advisable not to use manual labor since it could affect their health.
- The ability of the AS/RS to move products quickly out of the storage increases the production capabilities of these manufacturers, adding to their advantage. These systems also provide the ability of real-time insight for quality control, which helps them in maintaining the industry standard and complying with strict government regulations related to the pharmaceutical industry.
- Furthermore, the market is looking forward to creating the omnichannel business model among pharmacies into reality through order processing. KNAPP AG is manufacturing smart shuttle solutions for central, secure, and space-effective storage of article range. KNAPP-Store, a storage and picking system, is specifically to be used along the pharmaceutical supply chain, whether in wholesale or for online pharmacies.
- Additionally, through the KNAPP Medication Dispenser (KMeD), which is an automation solution for fast, efficient, and accurate picking of patient-specific orders into vials, typically ideal to be used for medium- and slow-moving medicinal articles, is transforming the ways in which traditional pharmacies function.
- The incorporation of such systems also allows manufacturers to develop new drugs with shorter time to market metrics. Technologically improved AS/RS also provide additional functionalities, like controlled environment and temperatures, to prolong the shelf life of the products, further helping the incorporation in the healthcare industry.
- COVID further increased the need for automated labs to simplify the testing process and not hamper any aspect of the treatment route for the pandemic. Several startups are applying artificial intelligence and big data analytics for enterprises, such as Turing, which is applying AI to automate lab work for CPG companies; and Paige, which is focusing on AI to better interpret data from cancer and other pathology studies.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific to Dominate Automated Storage and Retrieval Market
- E-commerce has been growing at a very fast rate in the last few years. Many companies have moved from physical retail to online to better cater to consumer requirements. Many of the large companies have bet big on the technology to provide reliable consumer service. North American and European nations have been pioneers in online retail and have established markets with large players.
- APAC region is witnessing fast-paced growth in the market. China and India together account for almost half of global online retail sales. The volume of online sales in China and India exceeded that of the United States and is expected to grow 20% annually by 2022. Upcoming generations in China and India country include young, urban, and highly educated individuals. Their attitude towards shopping is expected to be different when compared to the older generation.
- There is a growing need for increased output while improving operational efficiency in the pharmaceutical industry. The need to maintain the high quality of products and safety standards is creating a huge demand for automation in the healthcare industry.
- As a result, there is a parallel growth of AS/RS in the healthcare industry, as these systems facilitate the availability of the required products in a timely manner, with minimal human interaction, thus, facilitating the prevention of contamination during drug manufacturing process. Moreover, the requirement of the samples and their lot number tracking, serial number recording, urgent timeframe demands, increased security demands, and strict confidentiality is prevailing as major factors that are increasing the adoption of AS/RS.
- Furthermore, more convenient cross-border payments methods like UniPay and PayPal have also boosted the transactions on the e-commerce platforms. With such reliable and convenient cross-border transactions and the boom of e-commerce, consumers have reduced their patronage of brick-and-mortar stores for shopping. This is resulting in the expansion of the online retail market, and companies are thus investing heavily to improve the technology. With logistics playing a major part in online retail, warehouse and delivery stations are one of the crucial points in the e-commerce segment.
- AS/RS systems are deployed in warehouse and delivery stations to identify and retrieve the selected goods for processing. With companies handling many orders on a daily basis, the need for fast and efficient operating systems is on the rise. Companies are deploying advanced automated systems to replace human labor and improve the efficiency of the systems.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems in Laboratories Industry Overview
Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems in Laboratories Market is moderately fragmented, with several vendors severely cemented into the supply chain. In terms of market share, some of these important actors currently manage the market. These influential players with a noticeable share in the market are concentrating on expanding their customer base across foreign countries. These businesses are also leveraging strategic collaborative actions to improve their market percentage and enhance their profitability.
- July 2021 - Netherlands-based cold chain logistics company NewCold invested USD 160 million in its Victorian facility, bringing its total investment in Victoria to USD 460 million. The facility is expected to be more than double the size of its Melbourne 2 facility, rounding up to 43 m high and expanding from 115,000 pallet positions to 225,000, reflecting an increase of 110,000 pallets. NewCold also announced a new partnership with Simplot Australia, which is planning to transition all of its frozen products to the Melbourne facility in 2023. The Melbourne cold storage facility will use automated storage and retrieval systems (ASRS) to move and store products in the high-bay warehouse automatically. The equipment and operators will be directed by NewCold’s software systems to ensure products are kept in optimal conditions.
- May 2021 - Beckman Coulter announced the European launch of the DxA 5000 Fit, a workflow-automation solution designed to fit into medium-sized labs that run fewer than 5,000 tests a day. The clinical laboratory was overwhelmed in 2020, where total testing was 245% of baseline volumes, with ~55% being SARS-CoV-2 molecular tests.
Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems in Laboratories Market Leaders
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Roche Holding AG
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems in Laboratories Market News
- November 2021 - Cold chain solutions provider FreezPak Logistics announced plans to open a fully automated facility by the end of 2022 in Woodbridge, New Jersey. The 267,575-square-foot cold storage development aims to serve the logistics market in the Northeast. FreezPak’s Woodbridge site spans 26 acres and features 42 robots that can automatically store and retrieve goods. The facility also includes 209,500 square feet of freezer space, A 45,760-square-foot cool dock, 12,000 square feet of office space, 34 dock doors, 70 trailer spaces and 167 automobile parking spaces, and a 67-foot clear height in the freezer and 30 feet in the cool dock.
- October 2021 - Dematic announced its partnership with Aspire Food Group to construct a new facility to maximize the productivity of food-grade insect protein production. The project, expected for completion in Q1 2022, will develop the world’s first fully automated food-grade insect protein manufacturing site with Dematic Automated Storage and Retrieval System (AS/RS) technology. Dematic implemented an 11-story high, high-density automated storage system using totes to breed and mature crickets prior to processing for pet and human consumption. Totes were monitored to ensure food-grade quality using Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and sensors that provide data to deep-learning Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology to optimize conditions for maturation, breeding, and incubation.
Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems in Laboratories Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Indian Cybersecurity Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Product Innovation, Differentiation, and Branding
5.1.2 Rising Per Capita Income Positively Impacting Purchase Power
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Fluctuating Raw Material Prices
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Product Type
6.1.1 Fixed Aisle System
6.1.3 Vertical Lift Module
6.2 By Application
6.3 By Geography
6.3.1 North America
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
6.3.4 Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
7.1.2 Danaher Corp
7.1.3 Hudson Robotics Inc
7.1.4 Becton Dickinson and Company
7.1.5 Synchron Lab Automation
7.1.6 Agilent Technologies Inc.
7.1.7 Siemens Healthineers
7.1.8 Tecan Group Ltd
7.1.9 PerkinElmer Inc.
7.1.10 Honeywell International Inc
7.1.11 BioRad Laboratories Inc
7.1.12 Roche Holding AG
7.1.13 Eppendorf AG
7.1.14 Shimadzu Corp
7.1.15 Aurora Biomed Inc.
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems in Laboratories Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The ASRS in Laboratories Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of ASRS in Laboratories Market?
The ASRS in Laboratories Market is growing at a CAGR of 12.58% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in ASRS in Laboratories Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in ASRS in Laboratories Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in ASRS in Laboratories Market?
Thermo Fisher Scientific, Danaher Corp, Roche Holding AG, Honeywell International, Siemens Healthineers are the major companies operating in ASRS in Laboratories Market.
ASRS in Laboratories Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 ASRS in Laboratories market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. ASRS in Laboratories analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.