|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The electric boat and ship market (hence referred to as market studied) was valued at USD 4.58 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 9.01 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 12.65% during the forecast period (2021 – 2026).
The COVID-19 pandemic hampered the growth of the electric boat and ship market due to the shutdown of manufacturing facilities and trade restrictions imposed worldwide. However, with relaxations allowed by governments to improve economic conditions, the market is expected to revive during the forecast period. However, limited range anxiety and high purchase costs to act as restraints for the growth of the market.
Growing government focus on encouraging consumers to adopt eco-friendly boats and ships in order to meet environmental rules and regulations anticipated to propel demand in the market. In addition, rising interest among electric vehicle (EV) manufacturers to capture the growing market by increasing the production of electric boats is expected to supplement the market's growth during the forecast period.
Europe is expected to hold largest share in the market owing to highest demand for new electric ships & boats, and with Germany being a significant contributor to market growth in the region. In addition, United Kingdom became the first country in major G7 countries to target net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, which includes the adoption of electric boats and ships.
Scope of the Report
An electric boat is a form of electric vehicle designed to carry off marine operations by propelling the boat through batteries rather than by fuel. Batteries used in electric boats are similar to the batteries used in electric vehicles. Electric ships are mainly ferries and small passenger ships on inland waterways that sail completely with electricity. They sail only short distances and dock often.
The Scope of the report covers segmentation based on propulsion type, battery type, carriage type, and geography. By propulsion type, the market is segmented into hybrid and pure electric. By battery type, the market is segmented into lead-acid, lithium-ion, and nickel-based batteries.
By Carriage type, the market is segmented into Passenger and Cargo and By Geography, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World. For each segment, market sizing and forecast have been done on the basis of value (in USD million).
|By Propulsion Type|
|By Battery Type|
|By Carriage Type|
Key Market Trends
Growing Adoption of Electric Boats and Ships due to Pollution
The driving factors of the electric boat and ship market include factors, like increased maritime tourism and increased seaborne trade, as most of the world’s goods are carried by ships. As the global economy is dependent on the shipping market, the electric boat market is expected to play a bigger role in this sector as environmental causes have increasingly come to the forefront in this sector. Electric and hybrid types of ships cause less emission and save the environment from getting polluted more.
Moreover, growing government support to promote the usage of electric boats and ships to reduce emissions is likely to help market growth during the forecast period. For instance,
- In 2020, the South Korean government announced a USD 870 million initiative to encourage the development of eco-friendly shipping to reduce pollution caused by the country’s marine sector.
- The 2030 Green Ship-K Promotion Strategy, a central part of South Korea’s plans to achieve carbon-neutrality by 2050, specifically targets the advancement and wider use of low-carbon ship technology, including hydrogen fuel cells and propulsion systems. The initiative has set a goal of reducing the country’s shipping greenhouse gas emissions by 40% in the next 25 years and 70% by 2050.
Additionally, international regulations, like The International Maritime Organization, deployed the global sulfur cap in January 2020. Under this regulation, ships, mainly commercial ships and marine vessels, may require low sulfur fuels to operate outside the emission control areas, which may propel electric ship adoption.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Expected to Hold Largest Market Share During Forecast Period
Europe is expected to hold the largest market share and is anticipated to witness considerable growth over the forecast period. Germany is playing a significant role along with the United Kingdom in propelling the adoption of electric boats and ships in the region in wake of growing environmental regulations and emission standards. Moreover, the growing popularity of electric recreational and leisure vessels in marine tourism, water adventures, and fishing activities in the region is expected to propel regional market growth.
However, the COVID-19 pandemic, which recently spread across European countries, especially Italy, United Kingdom, Spain, and Germany, is expected to have a short-term impact on market growth. Next to Europe, North America to witness the highest growth followed by the Asia Pacific. In North America, the United States is considered a big place for boaters as majority of population in United States is fond of boating and leisure activities.
New technologies, such as improved battery storage systems, rising seaborne trade, and marine tourism drive growth in the Asia-Pacific region. India, Crahina, and Japan anticipated to contribute significantly for the
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The market of Electric Boats and Ships is moderately consolidated due to the presence of several major and local players in the market. Several Key market players are entering into collaborations and engaging in mergers and acquisitions with other electric ship companies to strengthen their position in the market. Furthermore, the market participants focus on improving the battery technology to attain a competitive edge over other players. For instance,
- In June 2021, Discover Battery launched Lithium Blue Series batteries for marine boat and ship applications. These batteries also have a high current Battery Management System (BMS) that manages safety and lightning-fast charge performance. The BMS also has a connectivity feature enabling users to check various parameters via a smartphone app.
- In September 2020, Holland Ship Electric selected Corvus Energy to deliver lithium-ion battery-based energy storage systems (ESS). The company is meant for five new all-electric ferries developed by Holland Shipyards Group for GVB, the municipal public transport operator for Amsterdam.
- In February 2019, Energy storage systems supplier, Corvus Energy Holding, acquired all shares in Grenland Energy, a maker of lightweight lithium-ion batteries for the maritime, offshore, and subsea industry.
Some of the key players in the market are ABB Limited, Siemens AG, Kongsberg Gruppen, General Dynamics Electric Boat, Corvus energy, and many more.
- In October 2021, Groupe Beneteau announced the acquisition of STARFISHER, which has become GB PORTUGAL, thereby strengthening its production capacity for 25 to 35-foot powerboats by establishing itself in Portugal.
- In June 2021, South Korea’s first commercialized hydrogen-electric boat was unveiled at the 2021 Busan International Boat Show, where the Hydrogenia vessel is powered by a Danfoss Editron electric drivetrain and sub-system.
- In May 2021, Limestone Boats and Vision Marine Technologies partnered to produce electric outboard motors equipped to the powerboats produced by Limestone Boats, with an aim to increase up to 510 powerboats in 2022.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Propulsion Type
5.1.2 Pure Electric
5.2 By Battery Type
5.2.3 Nickel-based Batteries
5.3 By Carriage Type
5.4 By Geography
5.4.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 Rest of North America
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 Rest of the World
18.104.22.168 South America
22.214.171.124 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles*
6.2.1 Vision Marine Technologies Inc.
6.2.2 Grove Boats SA
6.2.3 Ruban Bleu
6.2.4 ElectraCraft Boats
6.2.5 Greenline Yachts
6.2.6 Domani Yachts
6.2.7 Ganz Boats GmbH
6.2.9 Duffy Electric Boats
6.2.10 Groupe Beneteau
6.2.11 Hyundai Heavy Industries (Hyundai Electric Limited)
6.2.12 Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME)
6.2.13 ABB Ltd.
6.2.14 Corvus Energy
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Electric Boat And Ship Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Electric Boat And Ship Market?
The Electric Boat And Ship Market is growing at a CAGR of 12.65% over the next 5 years.
What is Electric Boat And Ship Market size in 2018?
The Electric Boat And Ship Market is valued at 4581 Million USD in 2018.
What is Electric Boat And Ship Market size in 2026?
The Electric Boat And Ship Market is valued at 9010 Million USD in 2026.
Which region has highest growth rate in Electric Boat And Ship Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Electric Boat And Ship Market?
Europe holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Electric Boat And Ship Market?
ABB Limited, Siemens AG, Kongsberg Gruppen, General Dynamics Electric Boat, Corvus Energy are the major companies operating in Electric Boat And Ship Market.