|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The e-commerce plastic packaging market was valued at USD 17.87 billion in 2021, and it is expected to reach USD 42.91 billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of 15.48 % over the forecast period (2022 - 2027). The outbreak of COVID-19 at the beginning of 2020 caused a significant increase in the usage of e-commerce instead of traditional brick-and-mortar sales as the lockdown measures were implemented in multiple countries to curb the spread of the virus. The pandemic resulted in the return of single-use plastic bags and boxes due to hygienic reasons, thus, positively impacting the usage of plastic packaging in e-commerce.
- Plastic packaging has become popular among consumers for products delivered through e-commerce, as plastic material is lightweight and unbreakable, making them easier to handle. Even major manufacturers prefer plastic packaging, owing to the lower cost of production. A wide variety of innovative, cost-effective, and sustainable packaging solutions are emerging in the market, and plastic, as a product, has been accepted globally.
- E-commerce sales are steadily growing globally owing to many factors. Some of the major factors include increasing urban population percentage, penetration of mobile internet, usage of digital payments, digital skills of the population, and improving delivery infrastructure, among others.
- The internet penetration, coupled with the boom in smartphone penetration, has raveled up online shopping. Market growth in developing countries such as India has benefited from this growing internet and smartphone penetration. According to IBEF, internet users in India are projected to increase from 493.96 million in March 2018 to 829 million in 2021.
- The past few years have seen a continual consumer purchasing shift toward e-commerce and away from brick-and-mortar stores. However, the e-commerce trend that was supposed to be a slow and steady trajectory upwards has turned into a significant rise due to pandemic shopping habits. On a parallel path, omnichannel fulfillment gained a foothold. Retailers are challenged to offer their customers a superior purchasing experience regardless of the product's origin. The objective is to make the right packaging choices that will positively impact quality, speed, and shipping costs.
- The market is expected to be significantly challenged due to dynamic regulatory standards changes, primarily due to increasing environmental concerns. Governments globally have been responding to public concerns regarding plastic packaging waste, especially plastic packaging waste, and implementing regulations to minimize environmental waste and improve waste management processes.
- The COVID-19 pandemic caused substantial changes in the packaging industry. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, many businesses and market players were progressing toward sustainability goals. However, the pandemic negatively affected many industries globally, particularly the packaging industry. Packaging companies have produced innovative technologies that are eco-friendly, biodegradable, and reusable. However, there were concerns about the safety and hygiene of reusable packaging; hence it temporarily halted the packaging industry’s progress toward a circular and sustainable supply chain.
Scope of the Report
The report on the global e-commerce plastic packaging market studies the market by segmenting it based on different types of plastic packaging products used, such as bags, pouches, shrink films, protective packaging, and other types of packaging.
The end-user verticals considered while studying the market include consumer electronics and media, food and beverage, personal care products, fashion and apparel, home care and furnishing, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the e-commerce plastic packaging market across different geographies and the implementation of different strategies to minimize the usage of the same by players along with the COVID-19 impact.
|By Product Type|
|Pouches and Bags|
|Other Product Types (Labels, Tapes, and Other Product Types)|
|By End-user Industry|
|Consumer Electronics and Media|
|Food and Beverage|
|Personal Care Products|
|Fashion and Apparel|
|Home Care and Furnishing|
|Other End-user Industries|
|Middle-East and Africa|
Key Market Trends
Consumer Electronics and Media to Hold Significant Market Share
- Manufacturers of packaging products for consumer electronics are increasingly using protective packaging items, such as air bubble wraps, air pillows, and other inflated packaging products, to shield devices. It is anticipated that in the future, these packaging alternatives will satisfy the requirements of all electronic categories.
- The consumer electronics plastic market is very competitive and has a number of well-established companies. In the years to come, several of them are anticipated to account for a sizable portion of the market. Innovative product releases and other growth tactics provide market leaders an advantage over their rivals. Leading players in the consumer electronics plastic industry team up with lesser-known players in an effort to enhance their market share and clientele.
- Manufacturers of packaging products for consumer electronics are increasingly using protective packaging items, such as air bubble wraps, air pillows, and other inflated packaging products, to shield devices. It is anticipated that in the future, these packaging alternatives may satisfy the requirements of all electronic categories.
- Plastic use in consumer electronics is increasing significantly globally, which is enhancing the market outlook. Consumer electronics frequently employ plastic wrapping to shield various electronic gadgets from internal and external dangers like inclement weather. Additionally, the market is growing due to the rising demand for safe packaging for smartphones and their peripherals, including chargers, earbuds, and universal serial bus (USB) cables.
- Electronic product packaging that is environmentally friendly is growing in popularity. Regulators and government authorities have vigorously pushed for the use of green packaging. The necessity of protecting the environment from non-biodegradable packaging trash is being recognized by brands and consumers alike.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China of Asia Pacific region to Hold Significant Market Growth
- China is the largest e-commerce market globally, generating approximately 50% of global transactions. Alibaba's Taobao and Tmall, and JD.com are the domestic platforms that dominate the country's e-commerce market. Pinduoduo overtook dozens of competitors to become the third-largest platform, using a new group purchasing model. Other platforms, including Vipshop, Mogujie, Suning, Gome, Dangdang, Yihaodian, and JuMei, comprise the remaining market share, according to The eCommerce Guide.
- Parallel to the rapid growth in the e-commerce industry, the government has been enacting regulations to regulate the industry effectively. For instance, in February 2021, China's State Council introduced the "Antitrust Guidelines for the Platform Economy." According to the Government of China, this action was taken in response to the rise of the digital economy and targeted to stop monopolistic behaviors and promote online commerce's healthy and sustainable development.
- China has the most online buyers and sellers globally, aided by being the world's most populous nation. According to the China Internet Network Information Center, at the end of 2021, it had 842.1 million online consumers, more than twice the United States population, which is the next largest e-commerce market.
- Due to expanding consumer preference for online shopping, the proliferation of payment options, and online shopping events, including single-day offers, enticing discounts, and enhanced logistic infrastructure, China is one of the emerging nations where the e-commerce sector is expanding rapidly.
- The e-commerce boom in the country compelled packaging companies and resellers to explore sustainable packaging alternatives, including recycled plastics. Such initiatives are likely to boost the e-commerce packaging market growth in the coming years.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The e-commerce plastic packaging market is fragmented, with market incumbents, such as Amcor PLC, Berry Global Inc., Sealed Air Corporation, Pregis LLC, Sonoco Products Company, Storopack Hans Reichenecker GmbH operating in the market. Companies are gaining sustainable competitive advantage through innovation in design, technology, and application.
- May 2022 - The Huhtamaki Foundation inaugurated its first recycling plant in India, Maharashtra, to help drive circularity for packaging. The site - spread across 2,000 square meters - would recycle about 1,600 kilograms of post-consumer used flexible plastic waste per day from early May as the plant becomes fully operational.
- February 2022 - ExxonMobil completed its sale of certified circular polymers to Berry. The circular polymers are developed using the company’s Exxtendrecycling technology, designed to help expand the range of recyclable plastic materials and maintain products’ performance over several recycling loops. Berry Global is expected to use the polymers to produce containers for food-grade packaging.
Sonoco Products Company
Storopack Hans Reichenecker GmbH
Sealed Air Corporation
- July 2022 - Amcor Rigid Packaging (ARP) announced to offer samples of spirits bottles made of recyclable polyethylene terephthalate (PET) that meet the newly approved US Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) sizes. Amcor’s new offering was developed to give customers the freedom and flexibility to explore new markets while gauging consumer interest. The six new ARP bottles were developed to maximize ease of use in customer production and shipping.
- March 2022 - Berry Global Group partnered with Koa to launch Body Cleanser & Body Moisturizer bottles made from 100% recycled plastic. As a prominent player in sustainability, Berry focuses on creating a positive environmental impact through streamlined operations, continuously engaged partners, and optimized products, a vision shared by Koa. Koa chose Berry as their supplier for this project due to the shared vision for sustainability in packaging.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Proliferation of Online Retailing and Emergence of Omni-channel Presence
5.1.2 Rising Usage of Lightweight Flexible Packaging
5.1.3 Increasing Biodegradable Plastic Packaging for Online Retail
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Lack of Exposure to Good Manufacturing Practices
5.2.2 Regulation Pertaining to the Use of Plastic
5.2.3 Approach Toward Sustainable Packaging in E-commerce
5.3 Impact of COVID-19 on the E-Commerce Plastic Packaging Industry
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Product Type
6.1.1 Pouches and Bags
6.1.2 Protective Packaging
6.1.3 Shrink Films
6.1.4 Other Product Types (Labels, Tapes, and Other Product Types)
6.2 By End-user Industry
6.2.1 Consumer Electronics and Media
6.2.2 Food and Beverage
6.2.3 Personal Care Products
6.2.4 Fashion and Apparel
6.2.5 Home Care and Furnishing
6.2.6 Other End-user Industries
6.3 By Geography
6.3.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.3.4 Latin America
6.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Amcor PLC
7.1.2 Pregis LLC
7.1.3 Sealed Air Corporation
7.1.4 Sonoco Products Company
7.1.5 Storopack Hans Reichenecker GmbH
7.1.6 Berry Global Inc.
7.1.7 Huhtamaki Oyj
7.1.8 CCL Industries Inc.
7.1.9 Clondalkin Flexible Packaging
7.1.10 ProAmpac LLC
8. AMAZON E-COMMERCE CONTRIBUTION
8.1 Amazon Contribution (%) to E-commerce Sales in the United States and Canada (in USD billion)
8.2 List of Various Packaging Products Used by Amazon
8.3 Suppliers of Packaging Products (Product-wise list will be provided)
8.4 Sustainable Packaging Initiatives across Various Countries
8.5 Impact of Frustration-free Packaging on Amazon and their Average Savings
8.6 Recycling Trends of Plastic Packaging Material (Percentage of Plastic Bags, Sacks, and Wraps Recycled)
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The E-commerce Plastic Packaging Market market is studied from 2020 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of E-commerce Plastic Packaging Market?
The E-commerce Plastic Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 15.48% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in E-commerce Plastic Packaging Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in E-commerce Plastic Packaging Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in E-commerce Plastic Packaging Market?
Amcor PLC, Pregis LLC, Sonoco Products Company, Storopack Hans Reichenecker GmbH, Sealed Air Corporation are the major companies operating in E-commerce Plastic Packaging Market.