Africa Plastic Packaging Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Africa Plastic Packaging Market Analysis
The African plastic packaging market recorded a revenue of USD 13.87 billion in the previous year, and it is expected to reach USD 17.28 billion, registering a CAGR of 3.38% during the forecast period. The rigid plastic packaging market is expected to register a CAGR of 2.31%, while the flexible packaging market is anticipated to witness a CAGR of 4.78%.
- Africa has experienced rapid population growth and urbanization in recent years. As the population increases and more people move to cities, there is a rising demand for packaged goods, creating the need for plastic packaging products. Furthermore, economic growth resulted in an expansion of the middle class and increased disposable income in various countries of the region. As purchasing power of people increases, the demand for packaged goods also rises, driving the growth of the plastic packaging industry.
- Many countries in the region are focusing on industrialization and manufacturing for their economic development, which includes the establishment of factories for various industries, such as food, beverage, pharmaceuticals, personal care products, and more. As plastic packaging is a convenient solution for these industries in multiple applications, its demand is growing continuously in the region.
- International food manufacturing companies are expanding their operations in Africa due to rising product demand. In October 2022, cookie manufacturer Britannia Industries Ltd finalized a deal for operations in Kenya as part of its plan to expand in Africa.
- The market is expected to be challenged owing to dynamic changes in regulatory standards, primarily due to increasing environmental concerns. Governments across the region have been responding to public concerns regarding plastic packaging waste and implementing regulations to minimize environmental waste and improve waste management processes.
- The pandemic accelerated the expansion of e-commerce in the region, resulting in an increase in demand for packaging materials, which is assisting the African plastic packaging industry to grow further. Plastic packaging is a prevalent choice for e-commerce in the region due to its durability and low cost. Moreover, in the coming years, it is expected to witness robust growth focusing on retail-ready packaging, driven mostly by increasing urbanization and quickly expanding mass retailers and clubs. Food, beverage, and pharmaceutical companies need shelf-ready packaging to maximize stock earnings. Therefore, it shows a positive outlook for the market in the post-COVID-19 scenario.
Africa Plastic Packaging Market Trends
Food Industry to Hold Major Share in Both Rigid and Flexible Plastic Packaging Markets
- Plastic food storage containers help preserve food during storage or keep them fresh by effective sealing. These containers are suitable for use in cafes, grocery shops, or any food business. Packaging is an important market in West Africa. This industry has developed in the sub-region largely in response to farming and the growth of the food industry. Nigeria, South Africa, and Kenya have a substantial share of the plastic packaging market in the region.
- The food sector in Eastern and Southern Africa is expected to grow by 800% by 2050, with trade in processed foods increasing by up to 90%. Africa as a whole is anticipated to be a USD 1 trillion food industry by 2030, with urban consumption driving demand for more products. Food packaging is one of Africa's most significant end-user plastic industries. Rigid plastic packaging is increasing in the food industry. The industry uses it for its properties, such as lightweight and reduced cost.
- Rigid plastic and disposable containers are integral to takeouts, food chains, and restaurants. However, there are environmental concerns across the region. The opening of several food chains across the region has spiked the demand for plastic packaging in Africa. In May 2022, the Dubai-based halal fast-food chain ChicKing announced its intentions to open 30 outlets in Kenya over the next five years.
- Typical flexible food packaging applications include films and pouches to package food products like cheeses, meats, bread, and vegetables, among others. In most cases, flexible packaging is used as the primary packaging, but it can also be used as the secondary packaging in some cases.
- These films can be laminated or nonlaminated and withstand harsh environments like freezers. Their impact strength, tear strength, flex-crack resistance, and excellent sealing properties are extensively used in food applications. Such factors are driving the flexible packaging market in the country.
- Due to increasing urbanization in Africa, more people are living in cities and having less access to fresh produce, which is driving the demand for flexible packaging. Additionally, the growing focus of consumers toward sustainability is leading to packaging made from recycled materials that can be easily recycled, hence supporting the demand for flexible packaging.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
South Africa to Hold Significant Market Share
- The rising popularity of packed meals, the expanding number of restaurants and supermarkets, and rising bottled water and beverage consumption are all key drivers of the country's market expansion.
- The South African home care products market has seen considerable growth in recent years owing to a growing trend among individuals to maintain a healthier lifestyle. This has driven demand for products like beverage bottles, toiletry bottles, plastic bags, and others, thereby increasing the growth of the region's plastic packaging market.
- With the country's enormous volume of plastic garbage, the recycling trend is expanding at a healthy rate, owing to government restrictions and strong consumer awareness. Moreover, companies like Coca-Cola in South Africa collected and recycled more PET than was produced within the country.
- On the demand side, customers in South Africa are migrating to e-commerce as mobile connectivity develops. This tendency has accelerated as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic as well as a spike in interest in contactless transactions inside the country. This has permitted several market acquisitions. For instance, in July 2021, Austrian plastic packaging firm ALPLA Group purchased South African packaging producer Verigreen Packaging to extend its footprint in southern Africa.
- Overall, beverage consumption in the country is increasing rapidly, despite the impact of external economic variables. Soft drink consumption is increasing in the country as a result of climatic conditions, with people drinking more carbonated beverages. Due to severe water scarcity in the country over the previous two years, the usage of bottled water has also increased dramatically. With PET bottles becoming the market norm, the demand for plastic bottles has also increased. Therefore, these factors are driving the growth of the plastic packaging market in the country.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Africa Plastic Packaging Industry Overview
The African plastic packaging market is highly fragmented, comprising market incumbents such as Mondi, Nampak, and Berry Astrapak and several regional packaging firms. With environmental concerns rising across countries, major players have boosted their investments in research and development to tackle environmental concerns and make plastic bottles safer.
- In January 2023, Phatisa announced the acquisition of a significant minority stake in MHL International Holdings, a printing and packaging provider operating in Sub-Saharan Africa through subsidiaries in Kenya and Nigeria with strong exposure to the food and beverage sector.
- In August 2022, ALPLA expanded its OTC packaging manufacturing technology. Alplapharma, the pharma packaging business of the ALPLA group, accomplished this by expanding its manufacturing technology for OTC bottles with the inclusion of flexible extrusion blow molding (EBM), which allows for sustainable and customer-specific packaging solutions in this field.
Africa Plastic Packaging Market Leaders
Berry Astrapak (Berry Global Group Inc.)
Mpact Pty Ltd
Foster International Packaging
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Africa Plastic Packaging Market News
- April 2023: Egypt and India laid the foundation stone for a USD 110 million PET production factory in Ain Sokhna, Suez governorate. A monthly output capacity of 30,000 tonnes is anticipated for the project. Construction is expected to be completed in two stages, the first of which will begin in the first half of 2024 and the second in the middle of 2025.
- November 2022: Tempo Paper Pulp & Packaging Ltd's second BOPP film line was established in Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria, representing a significant investment in the African plastic packaging market. This investment is in response to the increasing demand for high-quality packaging film on the African continent, particularly in Nigeria. Tempo Paper Pulp & Packaging Ltd made a significant commitment to satisfy Africa's growing packaging needs by establishing a new BOPP film line with a width of 8.7 meters and an annual production capacity of 42,000 tons. BOPP films are widely utilized in various applications, such as flexible packaging, labeling, and laminating, making them an indispensable component of the packaging industry.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Ecosystem Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Rising Demand for Pet Bottles is Expected to Drive the Need for Rigid Packaging in the Region
5.1.2 Beverage Packaging is Expected to Gain Traction over the Coming Years
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Fluctuating Raw Material Prices
5.3 Impact of COVID-19 and the Recent Geopolitical Changes on the Growth of the African Packaging Industry
5.4 Analysis of the Key Emerging Markets in Africa
5.5 Analysis of the Key Raw Material Imports into Africa Based on Relevant HS Codes
5.6 Technological Innovations in the Plastic Packaging Market
5.7 Analysis of the Broader ROI Measures within the Packaging Industry
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 Rigid Packaging
220.127.116.11 Polyethylene (PE)
18.104.22.168 Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
22.214.171.124 Polypropylene (PP)
126.96.36.199 Polystyrene (PS) and Expanded Polystyrene (EPS)
188.8.131.52 Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
184.108.40.206 Other Materials
6.1.2 End User
220.127.116.11 Healthcare and Pharmaceutical
18.104.22.168 Personal Care and Cosmetics
22.214.171.124 Other End Users
6.2 Flexible Packaging
126.96.36.199 Polyethylene (PE)
188.8.131.52 Bi-orientated Polypropylene (BOPP)
184.108.40.206 Cast Polypropylene (CPP)
220.127.116.11 Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
18.104.22.168 Ethylene Vinyl Alcohol (EVOH)
22.214.171.124 Other Materials
6.2.2 End User
126.96.36.199 Personal Care and Cosmetics
188.8.131.52 Other End Users
6.3.1 South Africa
6.3.10 Rest of Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Berry Astrapak (Berry Global Group Inc.)
7.1.2 Nampak Ltd
7.1.3 Mondi PLC
7.1.4 Mpact Pty Ltd
7.1.5 Foster International Packaging
7.1.6 Constantia Flexibles
7.1.7 Tetra Pak SA
7.1.8 Amcor PLC
7.1.9 LIQUIBOX (Sealed Air Corporation)
7.1.10 Sonoco Products Company
7.1.11 Toppan Inc.
7.1.12 Huhtamaki Oyj
7.1.13 ALPLA Group
7.1.14 Plastipak Holdings Inc.
7.1.15 Polyoak Packaging
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. LIST OF KEY VENDORS IN AFRICA BY COUNTRY
8.1 South Africa
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
10. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the current Africa Plastic Packaging Market size?
The Africa Plastic Packaging Market is projected to register a CAGR of 3.38% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Africa Plastic Packaging Market?
Berry Astrapak (Berry Global Group Inc.), Nampak Ltd, Mondi PLC, Mpact Pty Ltd and Foster International Packaging are the major companies operating in the Africa Plastic Packaging Market.
Africa Plastic Packaging Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Africa Plastic Packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Africa Plastic Packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.