Drilling Automation Market Size
|Study Period||2018- 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|CAGR||> 3.00 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||North America|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Drilling Automation Market Analysis
The drilling automation market is expected to register a CAGR of more than 3% over the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by the outbreak of COVID-19 due to the crude oil price crash. Currently, the market has reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Factors such as an increase in the complexity of the wellbore due to increased depth and the use of multiple horizontal wells, an increase in the number of rigs, and rising production of natural gas are expected to drive the market.
- However, the volatility of crude oil and natural gas is expected to restrain the market's growth.
- Gas hydrate production may become an opportunity for market players as its economically viable production may pose new problems that may require better drilling automation techniques.
- Due to the high output of shale oil and gas, North America is expected to be the largest market during the forecast period, with the majority of demand coming from the United States and Canada.
Drilling Automation Market Trends
Offshore Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- Drilling automation is centered on the downhole activities necessary for the actual drilling of an oil or gas well. This involves linking surface and downhole measurements with near-real-time predictive models to improve the safety and efficiency of the drilling process. In the offshore segment, a high level of expertise is required to maneuver the drill below the surface, and therefore, drill automation may prove its reliability, which may stimulate the growth of the market.
- Although technology is being continuously refined, it is expected to create a paradigm shift in the oil and gas drilling industry. Concerns over the environment and safety of individuals are expected to be mitigated with the large-scale operationalization of the technology, which is expected to aid the growth of the market, especially in the offshore segment where safety is a significant concern.
- In January 2022, ADNOC announced an investment of USD 1 billion in the long-term development of the Umm Shaif field. In the process, the company awarded National Petroleum Construction Company a contract to develop, increase efficiencies, and enhance the field's long-term potential. This investment aligns with ADNOC's aims to achieve production capacity plans of 5 million barrels per day by 2030.
- Although significant growth has taken place in unconventional onshore production, offshore production represented approximately 28% of overall oil and gas production in 2021. Offshore production of oil and gas is expected to increase due to the increasing demand for hydrocarbon resources. An increase in the offshore sector is expected to contribute to the growth of the market.
- The amount of natural gas produced in the world increased by 4.8%, to 4036.9 billion cubic meters in 2021 from 3861.5 billion cubic meters in 2020. The increased utility of natural gas has ordained an increase in natural gas production to meet the world's consumption.
- Hence, the offshore segment is expected to witness growth in the forecast period due to an increase in free cash flow, advancements in technology, and an increase in oil production.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Dominate the Market
- The North American region is expected to be among the largest drilling automation markets and is likely to continue its dominance in the coming years. The region consists of the largest oil and gas production basins in the world, which provide fertile ground for further growth in the industry.
- The United States is expected to be the largest user of drilling automation in the region, especially with the boom in shale oil and gas in many onshore basins like the Permian basin that has contributed to advancements in the drilling automation market. Shale oil and gas have steadily increased in the country and may provide a platform for increasing drilling automation in multilateral horizontal drilling in the shale basins.
- North America increased its output of crude oil significantly to 1074.7 million tons in 2021 from 1058.7 million tons in 2020. Whereas the region's gas production increased from 1112.1 billion cubic meters in 2020 to 1135.8 billion cubic feet per day in 2021. Increasing production of oil and gas is expected to create demand for better drilling automation techniques and thereby aid the growth of the market.
- As of March 2023, the United States had a total of 755 active rotary rigs. A rotary rig is considered active when it is on location and drilling the majority of the week (4 days out of 7 days). This indicates the dominance of fixed assets such as drilling rigs and production platforms in the upstream segment of the country.
- Hence, the North America region is expected to dominate the market due to its vast crude oil and natural gas upstream sector, rising exploration in the offshore industry, and increasing demand for fossil fuels.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Drilling Automation Industry Overview
The drilling automation market is partially fragmented. Some of the key players in this market (in no particular order) are Schlumberger Limited, Halliburton Company, Baker Hughes Company, Weatherford International PLC, National-Oilwell Varco, Inc.
Drilling Automation Market Leaders
Baker Hughes Company
Weatherford International PLC
National-Oilwell Varco, Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Drilling Automation Market News
- July 2022: Saipem and the Saudi construction company, Nasser S. Al Hajri Corporation (NSH), signed with Aramco a national industrial engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) champion implementation agreement, as part of the Namaat Industrial Investment Programs, for the execution of onshore EPC projects in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia by a newly founded entity, to be incorporated by Saipem and NSH.
- July 2022: Samsung Engineering signed an agreement with Aramco for the National EPC Champions initiative. Samsung Engineering, along with ARPIC, a local EPC contractor, was expected to establish a joint venture with the objective of increasing Saudization levels, maximizing in-Kingdom total value-added targets, and deploying leading construction technologies.
Drilling Automation Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2028
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Location of Deployment
5.2.1 North America
5.2.4 South America
5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Weatherford International plc
6.3.2 National-Oilwell Varco Inc.
6.3.3 Baker Hughes Company
6.3.4 Schlumberger Ltd
6.3.5 Halliburton Company
6.3.6 Superior Energy Services, Inc.
6.3.7 Sekal AS
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Drilling Automation Market Research FAQs
What is the current Drilling Automation Market size?
The Drilling Automation Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 3% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Drilling Automation Market?
Schlumberger Limited, Halliburton Company, Baker Hughes Company, Weatherford International PLC and National-Oilwell Varco, Inc. are the major companies operating in the Drilling Automation Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Drilling Automation Market?
North America is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Drilling Automation Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the Drilling Automation Market.
Drilling Automation Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Drilling Automation market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Drilling Automation analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.