Dashboard Camera Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Dashboard Camera Market Analysis
The Global Dashboard Camera Market is projected to register a CAGR of 12.9% during the forecast period. The market studied expanded rapidly across the European region over the past few years due to a considerable rise in the number of accidents and thefts, resulting in various governments mandating the installation of dash cams.
- Dashboard cameras have evolved from the first cameras installed on police cars in the late 1980s. They were primarily analog cameras that did not have memory cards and were recorded on VHS cassettes. The industry transformed drastically in the 1990s when citizens began to install dash cams and use them to record driving instances. The advancements in technology have led to many improvements in the dash cams, such as high-quality video output and cost-effectiveness.
- The consistent drop in the prices of dash cams worldwide enabled the rapid growth of the market studied. Companies, such as YI Technologies, developed smart dash cams that cost as low as USD 50. The low cost of acquiring systems, along with the benefits associated with their installation, encourage end users to install them in their automobiles.
- Driving assistance systems have gained popularity, owing to the drastic rise in the number of accidental fatalities reported in the last decade. The demand for better assistance systems, categorically judging imminent dangers and guide drivers, is increasing, as these systems have emerged as a viable product in the automotive sector. Currently, driver assistance systems are predominantly being used in the luxury cars segment. Many connected car vendors are developing driver assistance technology, which is expected to be commercialized during the forecast period.
- Further, according to the NCRB (National Crime Records Bureau), Delhi reported 35,019 cases of vehicle thefts in 2021. Around 95 vehicles were stolen every day in Delhi, the maximum across all states and Union Territories in India.
- For instance, in February 2021, according to the National Police Agency (NPA), dashcam video evidence was used in 54 of the 58 road rage investigations conducted in the six months since the Road Traffic Act was changed to penalize "obstructive driving," indicating the difficulties of developing such a case in Japan. According to the NPA data, officers used dashcam footage in 93.1% of the 58 road rage cases they investigated.
- As the coronavirus pandemic spread since the first quarter of 2020, the market became stagnant due to the shut down of factories, causing a halt in automobile production, and thus changed consumer behavior to buying of essentials over spending on luxuries. For instance, according to Scotiabank, worldwide car sales increased to around 66.7 million automobiles in 2021, up from around 63.8 million units in 2020. The sector experienced a downward trend, along with a global slowdown of economy and the advent of the coronavirus pandemic in all key economies.
Dashboard Camera Industry Segments
The Global Dashboard Camera Market is segmented by Technology (Basic, Smart), Product Type (Single-channel, Dual-channel, Rear-view), and Geography. Dashboard cameras are onboard cameras that continuously record the view through a vehicle's front windscreen and sometimes rear or other windows. The essential benefits of vehicle dashboard cameras are their accident recording capabilities. They help to capture vehicle collations on video, which ensures that there is always a witness around. Dashcams are also placed on truck dashboards, which help to record front-facing videos.
|By Product Type|
Dashboard Camera Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Dashboard Camera Market according to our research experts:
Dual-channel Cameras to Witness Significant Growth
- Multi-lens dashboard cameras represent a lucrative segment to invest in for dashboard camera manufacturers. There has been an increasing preference for dual-channel dashboard cameras over single-channel dashboard cameras.
- These cameras are gaining popularity among private and commercial vehicle owners. Dual-channel dashcam systems comprise two cameras with high-resolution feed for front and rear video recording.
- For instance, in August 2022, DPPAI launched the Z50 dash cams model, As in Z-series, continuing the preview screen and sleek design but upgraded details with powerful performance. This is a 4K Dual Dash Cam. Compared with Z40, Z50 is more powerful in image processing and resolution. With advanced color boost algorithms and NightVIS technology, Z50 records with sharper details, balanced lighting, and vivid color even in dark conditions.
- Further, the introduction of innovative technology applications by the companies is driving the growth of the market. For instance, Thinkware launched its dual-channel Dash Cam F800 Pro, which has improved features over the F800 model. The new dashcam offers enhancements, such as better power management for hard -wired installations and a different color scheme, while retaining the best -in -the - business night capture
- With the increasing traffic-related fatalities across the globe, the market is expected to witness positive growth. The adoption rate of dash cams can be affected by several concerns regarding privacy issues, such as recording others involved in accidents without their permission, which is a breach of privacy. In countries, such as Belgium, Portugal, and Austria, privacy laws ban recording people without their consent with a dash cam.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Witness Significant Growth
- North America is expected to witness significant growth led by various companies and startups in the United States starting to make substantial investments to increase their presence and aid the region's adoption rate. Moreover, the existing companies are innovating new products to expand the product portfolio to gain market traction and increase their market share.
- For instance, Garmin International Inc. launched the new Dash Cam 46/56/66W and the Dash Cam Mini, the latest additions to its popular dashboard camera lineup. The new series includes an ultra-compact design, high-resolution video, an extra-wide view, GPS, and voice control; the drivers can easily find a Garmin dash cam that is tailored to their specific needs.
- Similarly, a group of startups in the United States have developed an innovative business model wherein the drivers are offered monetary rewards for installing dashboard cameras in their vehicles. As a result, an increasing number of ride service providers across North America, such as Lyft and Uber, have started deploying in-car DVRs to record their rides.
- Besides, the current lack of direct discounts from insurance companies for the installation of dashcams is estimated to impact the low interest of US consumers. However, stringent regulations mandated by the government, due to the growing number of accidents in the United States, are expected to propel the growth.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Dashboard Camera Market Competitor Analysis
The Global Dashboard Camera Market is very competitive in nature. The market is highly concentrated due to the presence of various small and large players. All the major players account for a large share of the market and are focusing on expanding their consumer base across the world. Some of the significant players in the market are Garmin Ltd, Panasonic Corporation, Aiptek Inc., ABEO Company Co. Ltd, Papago Inc., Steelmate Automotive (UK) Ltd, HP Development Company LP, DOD Tech, and many more. The companies are increasing the market share by forming multiple partnerships and investing in introducing new products to earn a competitive edge during the forecast period.
- May 2022 - Garmin and FIAT partnered to launch new Panda and Tipo special editions. The ideal solution for customers who need a car to explore outdoors or to escape everyday routine. Both models feature the new Foresta Green livery, exclusive to the new Garmin special series, embellished with orange details, exclusive matte light grey exterior highlights, and dedicated wheels that accentuate the cross look. The dash cam footage in vehicles can also be used to help others if they meet with an accident in front of people.
Dashboard Camera Market Top Players
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (Harman International Industries, Inc.)
HP Development Company LP
Steelmate Automotive (UK) Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Dashboard Camera Market Recent Developments
- August 2022 - Garmin International, Inc. announced the Garmin DriveCam 76 and RVcam 795 all-in-one navigators with a built-in, high-definition dash cam1. Both models feature a sharp 7-inch display, 1080p HD video recording, and a wide 140-degree field of view to capture a broad picture of the road ahead. The camera continuously records and saves videos of detected incidents and serves as an eyewitness behind the wheel once plugged in. Garmin DriveCam 76 and RVcam 795 bring premium navigation technology and high-definition video capabilities to everyday and recreational drivers.
- February 2022 - THINKWARE announced the launch of the F790 dash camera, the latest addition to THINKWARE’s F-series line of dash cams built for commercial and consumer use. The F790 includes added features to facilitate fleet management systems to track vehicle conditions and maximize efficiency to cater to the commercial and fleet management markets.
Dashboard Camera Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Impact of COVID-19 on the Dashboard Camera Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increase in the Number of Road Accidents and Thefts
5.1.2 Favorable Insurance Policies
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Reliability and Privacy Issues
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Technology
6.2 By Product Type
6.3 By Geography
6.3.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia Pacific
6.3.4 Latin America
126.96.36.199 Rest of Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East and Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 United Arab Emirates
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Garmin Ltd
7.1.2 Panasonic Corporation
7.1.3 Aiptek Inc.
7.1.4 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (Harman International Industries, Inc.)
7.1.5 DOD Tech
7.1.6 Steelmate Automotive (UK) Ltd
7.1.7 HP Development Company LP
7.1.8 Thinkware Dash Cam
7.1.9 Cobra Electronics Corporation
7.1.10 LG Electronics Inc.
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Dashboard Camera Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Dashboard Camera Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Dashboard Camera Market?
The Dashboard Camera Market is growing at a CAGR of 12.9% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Dashboard Camera Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Dashboard Camera Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Dashboard Camera Market?
Garmin Ltd, Panasonic Corporation, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (Harman International Industries, Inc.), HP Development Company LP, Steelmate Automotive (UK) Ltd are the major companies operating in Dashboard Camera Market.
Dashboard Camera Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Dashboard Camera sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Dashboard Camera research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Dashboard Camera report PDF.