Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Market Size (2024)
|USD 0.93 Billion
|Market Size (2029)
|USD 1.20 Billion
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market Analysis
The Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market size is estimated at USD 0.93 billion in 2024, and is expected to reach USD 1.20 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 5.31% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
- The rapid increase in pesticide use in Thailand may be accounted for an increase in cash crops. Most pesticide-intensive crops, vegetables, and fruits in Thailand are the highest cash value-added crops. As farmers have gradually switched from low-value-added to high-value-added crop production, the overall consumption rate of pesticides has naturally increased.
- The Office of Agricultural Economics (OAE) and the Office of Agriculture Regulations (OAR) have shown that the usage of pesticides has increased significantly in recent years. The import value of pesticides increased from USD 649.8 million in 2020 to USD 885.1 million in 2021. The major reason for the increase in pesticide imports and use being expanded over the last decade is attributed to Thailand's significant role as a leading exporter of food and agricultural products.
- Insecticide classes commonly imported included organophosphate (OP; e.g., chlorpyrifos), carbamate (e.g., fenobucarb, methomyl), and pyrethroid. Paraquat, glyphosate, 2,4-D, ametryn, and atrazine were the most often imported herbicides. Dithiocarbamate, mancozeb, carbendazim, and captan were the most often imported fungicides in the previous years.
- The favorable tax policy of the Thai government toward the growing market of agrochemical imports, the promotion of sustainable and integrated pest management techniques, and the increased intensity of land use are the major drivers for the market.
Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market according to our research experts:
Increase in Cash Crops with a Higher Application Rate
Cash crops such as rubber, coffee, and sugarcane, are primarily grown on large holdings in Thailand, which are owned by agribusinesses that have emerged in recent years. Thailand is the world's largest producer and exporter of natural rubber, accounting for roughly one-third of the world's production. As farmers have gradually switched from low-value-added to high-value-added crop production, the overall consumption of crop protection chemicals has naturally increased. To raise yield, farmers have intensified insecticides and pesticide use in the production of all crops.
Rubber production in Thailand has been receiving great attention from growers as compared to other cash crops. According to the Department of Agriculture Thailand, production has been increasing gradually in the past few years and the total production totaled 1.25 million metric ton in the year 2021 with a rise of 11% as compared to the year 2020. Outputs have tended to climb as a result of a mix of increased crop area, improved climatic conditions, and the motivating effect of high prices on growers. The Rubber Authority of Thailand estimates higher exports in the year 2022 due to rising international demand for rubber from Thailand which China being the key market.
More cash crops, reduction in the prices of agrochemicals, awareness about increasing crop yield by mitigating risks posed by pests and diseases, and the promotion of agrochemicals use by the government are some of the factors that relate to this rapid rise in the use of herbicides, pesticides and insecticides application in Thailand. Further, the volume of agrochemicals imported into Thailand has increased remarkably over time, owing to higher demand and application.
Increasing Fruit and Vegetable Production and Exports
For the herbicide market, insecticide market, and, fungicide market, the horticultural sector of Thailand plays a very crucial role.
Fresh and processed tropical fruits are important contributors to Thailand's booming agriculture sector, complementing the crop protection industry. Thai farmers currently cultivate 57 different types of tropical fruits on around 1.2 million hectares of land. Thailand also produced approximately 11 million metric ton of tropical fruits. Thailand's tropical fruit business is well-known due to variables such as geography and tropical environment. Thailand's topography conditions vary by location, allowing for the development of a wide range of tropical fruits. The tropical fruit business in Thailand has undoubtedly expanded, as seen by the rising output index in recent months due to the increasing use of agrochemicals for steady production. Durian, young coconut, longan, and pomelo are Thailand's most valuable exported fruits which have been complementing heavily in the consumption of crop protection chemicals. According to ITC Trademap Statistics, the value of Durian exports from Thailand has risen more than 500% in the year 2021 compared to the year 2017.
A research study undertaken by the Biodiversity Sustainable Agriculture Food Sovereignty Action Thailand (Biothai) found that the highest levels of pesticide residues were present in fruits and vegetables. Also, around 62.0% of such fruits and vegetables included more than one pesticide as residue. However, the pesticide use intensity in Thailand is still lower than that of Vietnam, though it is higher than that of Laos and Cambodia. The application of pesticides in fruits and vegetables has been the highest over the past several years, and this trend is likely to continue in the future.
Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Industry Overview
The Thai crop protection chemicals market is consolidated with a few major players. The top three major global pesticide players present in Thailand are Corteva Agriscience, Syngenta, ADAMA Agriculture Solutions, BASF SE, and Bayer Crop Science AG. The market is also dominated by local traders. Companies in the market are mainly focusing on developing new and qualitative products and developing new technologies to improve product quality. New product launches, partnerships, and mergers and acquisitions are the main strategies followed by the major players in the market.
Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market Leaders
Bayer Crop Science AG
Syngenta International AG
ADAMA Agriculture Solutions
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market News
- June 2022: Best Agrolife, one of the leading agrochemical companies in Thailand launched its agro-products basket of insecticide, fungicide, and pesticide products - Ronfen, AxeMan, Warden, and Tombo.
- June 2022: BASF Agriculture Solutions launches Basta - x with new applications on cassava and rubber in Thailand. With Basta - x, BASF provides a non-selective, non-residual herbicide with limited translocation potential which is effective for controlling over 80 weed species for Rice, Mango, Cassava, Palm Oil, and Rubber farms.
- May 2022: Bayer Thai invested 26.7 million THB (USD 0.76 Million) for the 'Better Farms, Better Lives 2.0' to support smallholder farmers improve their crop yield, reduce production costs and enhance their technical know-how. The 'Better Farms, Better Lives 2.0' program aims to benefit 26,000 smallholder farmers in 11 provinces in the central and northeastern regions.
Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.2.4 Other Products
5.3.1 Grains and Cereals
5.3.2 Oilseeds and Pulses
5.3.3 Fruits and Vegetables
5.3.4 Turf and Ornamental Grass
5.3.5 Other Applications
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Bayer Crop Science AG
6.3.2 BASF SE
6.3.3 Corteva Agrisicence
6.3.4 ADAMA Agriculture Solutions
6.3.5 Syngenta International AG
6.3.6 Arysta Lifescience Co. Ltd
6.3.7 Sumitomo Corporation
6.3.8 Sahaikaset Agrochemicals Co. Ltd
6.3.9 AG-AGRO Co. Ltd
6.3.10 Sotus International Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market Research FAQs
How big is the Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market?
The Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market size is expected to reach USD 0.93 billion in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 5.31% to reach USD 1.20 billion by 2029.
What is the current Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market size?
In 2024, the Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market size is expected to reach USD 0.93 billion.
Who are the key players in Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market?
Bayer Crop Science AG, BASF SE, Corteva Agriscience, Syngenta International AG and ADAMA Agriculture Solutions are the major companies operating in the Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market.
What years does this Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market size was estimated at USD 0.88 billion. The report covers the Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Thailand Crop Protection Chemicals analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.