2018 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Companion Diagnostics Market was valued at USD 4,865.60 million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 14,920.22 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 20.24% during the forecast period.
Early diagnosis of COVID-19 is becoming more essential in the market, as it has the potential to find the right treatment for the patients impacted with the virus. The most commonly used and reliable test for diagnosis of COVID-19 has been the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test performed using nasopharyngeal swabs or other upper respiratory tract specimens, including throat swabss. Thus, the disease diagnosis using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) emerged as a major focus for the management of the disease. In November 2020, TScan Therapeutics signed a research license and option agreement with Qiagen to develop a COVID-19 immune response test.
The companion diagnostics market is expected to experience substantial growth due to the development of new biomarkers for various diseases, a rise in R&D of targeted therapies, an increase in demand for customized medicine with increased recognition in developing markets and a higher number of unmet cancer care needs. For instance, in September 2020, Roche introduced a highly effective SARS-CoV-2 antibody test that provided fast results. The introduction of such highly effective diagnostic tests is expected to boost the market growth.
The growth of the global companion diagnostics market can be attributed to the rising focus on personalized medicine and the co-development of drug and diagnostic technologies. Additionally, rising cases of adverse drug reactions related to drugs, due to the lack of efficacy, drive the need for companion diagnostics.
In addition, globally, the rising burden of cancer increasing demand for personalized medicines and awareness about the same, among the population. With companies increasing their collaborations for better biomarkers and diagnostics, in order to focus on cost regulations, there has been a significant number of opportunities for its applications in indications, like cancer, cardiovascular, and neurological disorders. For instance, in April 2019, Myriad Genetics, Inc. and AstraZeneca plc and Merck Group entered into a partnership, to identify unmet medical needs in men related to metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer and expand the company's patient access in the market.
Overall, the rising R&D activities in the development of novel diagnostic test for various chronic diseases is anticipated to drive the global companion diagnostics market growth.
Scope of the Report
As per the scope of the report, companion diagnostic tests provide information that is essential for the safe and effective use of a corresponding drug or biological product. The Companion Diagnostics Market is segmented by Technology (Immunohistochemistry (IHC), Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), In-situ Hybridization (ISH), Real-time PCR (RT-PCR), Gene Sequencing, and Other Technologies), Indication (Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, Leukemia, Melanoma, and Other Indications), and Geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa, and South America). The report offers the value (in USD million) for the above segments.
|Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)|
|In-situ Hybridization (ISH)|
|Real-time PCR (RT-PCR)|
Key Market Trends
Under Indication Lung Cancer Segment is Expected to Dominate the Market over the Forecast Period
- Companion diagnostic tests (CDXs) are considered mandatory in decision-making for treatment with targeted therapies in lung cancer. Patients with lung cancer who received a companion diagnostic as part of their initial treatment have a greater survival benefit than those who were not tested.
- In 2020, the outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) was one of the greatest public health crises faced by the society. Moreover, lung cancer patients represented a great challenge in clinical diagnosis and treatment decision-making in the context of the highly contagious COVID-19 pandemic. For instance, according to a research article by Zhou Sha et al., published in Annals of Pallative Medicine Journal 2020, study results found that there was a significant impact of the COVID-19 crisis on oncological care, indicating the need for appropriate change of treatment decisions and continued follow-up and psycho-oncological support during the pandemic.
- Globally, high incidence rate of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) coupled with a rise in the development of oncology companion diagnostic tests for the disease is expected to boost the market growth. For instance, in May 2020, US FDA approved FoundationOne CDx assay for use with Capmatinib for the treatment of metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). In addition, in 2018, Roche Molecular Systems, Inc received US FDA approval for cobas EFGR mutation test v2, a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test used in diagnosis of mutation in epidermal growth factor receptor gene in non-small cell lung cancer.
- The emergence of immunotherapy has also given rise to the development of CDXs. Therascreen EGFR RGQ PCR Kit (Qiagen) and Cobas EGFR Mutation Test v2 (Roche Molecular Systems) are some of the many companion diagnostics available for lung cancer therapies.
- Moreover, lung cancer is the most common form of cancer, and causes most cancer-related deaths, globally, as per the 2020 data by the Globocan, there were around 2,206,771 (11.4%) new lung cancer cases and 1,796,144 (18%) deaths due to lung cancer in 2020. This translates to more demand for lung cancer companion diagnostics, which is expected to help the market growth over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to hold Significant Market Share Over the Forecast Period
- North America dominated the overall companion diagnostics market, with the United States emerging as the major contributor to the market. The use of companion diagnostics is considered an important treatment decision tool for a number of oncology drugs, which is also reflected in the way the FDA classifies these assays, in relation to risk.
- Companion diagnostics clinical trials have come to the forefront in the pharmaceutical industry, despite the COVID-19 outbreak, as it helps boost the chances of clinical success. The testing kit has been seeing high demand for identifying those infected with SARS-CoV-2. The novel coronavirus, since gripping the whole world, has remained the main focus for diagnostic test makers, in terms of research and development. In 2020, in the United States, MiraDx has set up its lab to provide COVID-19 based test services. The company claims that the lab has been able to analyze more than 9,000 tests accurately.
- The increasing burden of cancer in the United States is also expected to drive market growth. For instance, according to data published by American Cancer Society, Inc, in 2020, in the United States there were around 1.8 million new cancer cases diagnosed and 606,520 cancer deaths.
- Furthermore, favorable reimbursement scenario for breast cancer diagnostic solutions in the United States is anticipated to facilitate their adoption. In January 2020, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) expanded its coverage of next generation sequencing as a diagnostic tool for patients with germline (inherited) breast cancer.
- The evolving role of oncology companion diagnostics in the era of next-generation omics is expected to drive the market. For instance, in August 2020, Guardant Health, Inc received US FDA approval for Guardant360 CDx which is a companion diagnostic test that detects genetic mutations found in circulating cell-free DNA (cfDNA) to help doctors identify patients with non-small cell lung cancer who should be treated with TAGRISSO (osimertinib).
- Similarly, Foundation Medicine, Inc. received US FDA approval for FoundationOne Liquid companion diagnostics which is the only FDA-approved blood-based test to analyze over 300 genes making it the most comprehensive FDA-approved liquid biopsy on the market.
- In the United States, companion diagnostic assays are classified as IVD class III products, which represents a high-risk category, and consequently, the highest level of regulatory control. Hence, owing to high healthcare technology adoption rates and increasing demand for personalized medicine, the US companion diagnostics market is expected to register a substantial growth rate, during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The Companion Diagnostics Market is moderately fragmented and highly competitive consists of several major players. The presence of major market players, such as Abbott Laboratories Inc, Agilent Technologies Inc., F Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Biomerieux SA, and Qiagen NV, is increasing the overall competitive rivalry of the market studied. Moreover, the rising focus of companies toward personalized medicine, co-development activities, and increased cases of adverse drug reactions is expected to boost the competitive rivalry in the market studied.
In December 2020, HalioDx SAS, reached an exclusive distribution deal in Brazil with Diagnosticos da America (DASA) SA for the commercialization of Immunoscore.
In June 2020, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. and Agios Pharmaceuticals entered into a strategic partnership to co-develop a second companion diagnostics platform for oncology.
In May 2020, Bayer AG and ArcherDX, Inc., entered into a collaboration for the development and commercialization of a next-generation sequencing (NGS)-based companion diagnostic (CDx) for Vitrakvi (larotrectinib).
In January 2020, QIAGEN N.V. and Amgen collaborated with the aim to develop tissue-based companion diagnostics for the identification of patients with cancers that have the KRAS G12C mutation.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Companies Promoting Personalized Medicine and Targeted Therapy as a New Treatment Option
4.2.2 Increasing Cases of Adverse Drug Reactions
4.2.3 Co-development of Drug and Diagnostic Technology
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 High Cost of Drug Development and Associated Clinical Trials
4.3.2 Reimbursement Issues among Many Countries
4.4 Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Technology
5.1.1 Immunohistochemistry (IHC)
5.1.2 Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
5.1.3 In-situ Hybridization (ISH)
5.1.4 Real-time PCR (RT-PCR)
5.1.5 Gene Sequencing
5.1.6 Other Technologies
5.2 By Indication
5.2.1 Lung Cancer
5.2.2 Breast Cancer
5.2.3 Colorectal Cancer
5.2.6 Other Indications
5.3.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States (By Technology and By Indication)
220.127.116.11 Canada (By Technology and By Indication)
18.104.22.168 Mexico (By Technology and By Indication)
22.214.171.124 Germany (By Technology and By Indication)
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom (By Technology and By Indication)
188.8.131.52 France (By Technology and By Indication)
184.108.40.206 Italy (By Technology and By Indication)
220.127.116.11 Spain (By Technology and By Indication)
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe (By Technology and By Indication)
22.214.171.124 China (By Technology and By Indication)
126.96.36.199 Japan (By Technology and By Indication)
188.8.131.52 India (By Technology and By Indication)
184.108.40.206 Australia (By Technology and By Indication)
220.127.116.11 South Korea (By Technology and By Indication)
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific (By Technology and By Indication)
5.3.4 Middle East and Africa
22.214.171.124 GCC (By Technology and By Indication)
126.96.36.199 South Africa (By Technology and By Indication)
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle East and Africa (By Technology and By Indication)
5.3.5 South America
184.108.40.206 Brazil (By Technology and By Indication)
220.127.116.11 Argentina (By Technology and By Indication)
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America (By Technology and By Indication)
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Abbott Laboratories, Inc
6.1.2 Agilent Technologies Inc.
6.1.3 F.Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
6.1.4 Biomerieux SA
6.1.5 Qiagen NV
6.1.6 Siemens Healthcare
6.1.7 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
6.1.8 Danaher Corporation (Beckman Coulter Inc.)
6.1.9 Almac Group
6.1.10 Illumina, Inc
6.1.11 Myriad Genetics, Inc
6.1.12 Sysmex Corporation
6.1.13 Abnova Corporation
6.1.14 Guardant Health, Inc
6.1.15 Biogenex Laboratories, Inc
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Global Companion Diagnostics Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Global Companion Diagnostics Market?
The Global Companion Diagnostics Market is growing at a CAGR of 20.24% over the next 5 years.
What is Global Companion Diagnostics Market size in 2018?
The Global Companion Diagnostics Market is valued at 4865 Million USD in 2018.
What is Global Companion Diagnostics Market size in 2026?
The Global Companion Diagnostics Market is valued at 14920 Million USD in 2026.
Which region has highest growth rate in Global Companion Diagnostics Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Global Companion Diagnostics Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Global Companion Diagnostics Market?
- F Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
- Biomerieux SA
- Qiagen NV
- Abbott Laboratories Inc
- Agilent Technologies Inc.
Are the major companies operating in Global Companion Diagnostics Market.