Coffee Trade Analysis Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Coffee Trade Analysis Market Analysis
The coffee trade analysis market is projected to register a CAGR of 2.5% during the forecast period.
- Coffee is produced in more than 50 developing countries in South America, Africa, and Asia and is an essential source of income for more than 20-25 million families worldwide. The initial production of coffee beans is highly labor intensive. It involves several labor-intensive activities, such as farming, collecting, and processing. Hence, these activities are performed in labor-abundant countries.
- According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), world coffee production for 2022-23 is forecast to rebound 6.6 million bags from the previous year to 172.8 million, primarily due to Brazil's Arabica crop entering the on-year of the biennial production cycle. Global consumption is expected to rise by 800,000 bags to 167.9 million, with the largest gains in the European Union, the United States, and Brazil. World coffee bean exports are forecasted to be 3.0 million bags lower than 116.1 million as losses in Brazil, Vietnam, and India are more than offset gains in Honduras and Colombia in 2023. Ending stocks expected 1.5 million bags higher to 34.1 million. Against this backdrop of an improving supply situation, coffee prices, as measured by the International Coffee Organization (ICO) monthly composite price index, declined by 25% since February 2022.
- Additionally, the coffee industry witnesses various issues from farms to markets, like poor labor practices combined with unfair wages, deforestation, air pollution from roasting plants, and irregular pricing of coffee. According to a survey conducted by the Institute for Scientific Information on Coffee (ISIC) in 2020, 68% of the respondents stated that they often consume coffee while working. This trend is leading to a huge demand for coffee in European countries like Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and others, as consumers are becoming increasingly conscious of the quality of their coffee.
Coffee Trade Analysis Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Coffee Trade Analysis Market according to our research experts:
United States Dominates the Global Imports
- Coffee provides a revitalizing effect as it contains caffeine. It is one of the most consumed and popular drinks worldwide. It is prepared and presented in different ways. As per some clinical studies, modest coffee consumption is gentle or slightly beneficial for healthy adults.
- The shifting work culture, specifically in the corporate industry, along with enhancing living standards, is further anticipated to boost the demand in the global market. Over the years, the coffee demand has significantly broadened beyond mature markets such as the European Union (EU), the United States, and Japan.
- According to the International Trade Center (ITC) Trademap, the United States accounted for 1,580,333 metric tons of coffee beans in 2021. Colombia, Brazil, Switzerland, Canada, and Guatemala are some of the major exporters of coffee in the United States, estimated at 20.1%, 18.4%, 11.6%, 6.4%, and 6.1%, respectively.
- Companies changing their service and establishing modern brand strategies to increase consumer satisfaction and build loyalty are other factors in improving the coffee market worldwide. This is supported by the emergence of various cafes and increased expendable income levels of consumers. All these factors are anticipated to bolster the market growth.
- Green coffee is becoming increasingly popular as consumer purchasing habits change in favor of healthier product options, improving general physical wellness and raising awareness of the prevalence of lifestyle-related health conditions like obesity, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. For instance, in September 2022, the Green Coffee Company (GCC) launched its USD 100m Series C funding round to grow its Colombian operations and build a US-based coffee roasting operation to expand its value chain.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Brazil Dominates the Global Coffee Exports
- Brazil produces around 25% of the world's coffee supply. Coffee grown in Brazil is predominantly of the Arabica variety, making up around 80% of the total crop. Harvest season runs from May to August. The global demand for coffee heavily contributed to the early phase of Brazil's modern economic expansion and industrialization.
- According to the International Coffee Organization (ICO), Brazil is the major producer and exporter of coffee in the global market. According to the Council of Coffee Exporters of Brazil (Cecafé), the main destination markets for Brazil's coffee exports have been the United States, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Japan, Turkey, Russia, Mexico, Spain, and Canada.
- As per the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) report 2022, Brazil's Arabica output rebounded from 3.4 million bags to 39.8 million. The majority of the producing areas are in the on-year of the biennial production cycle, resulting in higher production potential for the upcoming crop; however, this quantity is well below recent on-year crops that peaked at nearly 50 million bags.
- According to the International Trade Center (ITC) Trademap, in 2022, the major importers of coffee from Brazil were the United States accounting for 446,472 metric tons, Germany with 404,068 metric tons, Belgium with 175,582 metric tons, Italy with 174,451 metric tons, and Japan with 149,402 metric tons. Brazil currently exports the majority of its coffee to Germany and the United States. The United States is the world's largest single buyer of coffee, with the North American coffee market accounting for over one-quarter of the global coffee imports in value. The coffee trade helps Brazil remain one of the ten major trading partners of the United States.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Coffee Trade Analysis Market News
- January 2023: Coffee exported from India was up by nearly 2% to 400,000 tons in 2022, with the rise in instant coffee exports and re-exports in the country. The export of instant coffee increased by 16.73% to 35,810 tons in 2022 from 29,819 tons in the previous year.
- December 2022: The US Government, through the US Agency for International Development (USAID), launched the Indonesia Coffee Enterprise Resilience Initiative (Resilient coffee) to support coffee farmers in Indonesia.
- October 2022: Nestle committed over USD 1 billion to a sustainable coffee farming plan. The brand plans to improve the sustainability of coffee farming and help farmers transition to regenerative agriculture practices.
Coffee Trade Analysis Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Value Chain Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Geography (Import Analysis by Volume and Value and Export Analysis by Volume and Value)
5.1.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
5.1.4 South America
184.108.40.206 South Africa
6. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Coffee Trade Analysis Market Research FAQs
What is the current Coffee Market size?
The Coffee Market is projected to register a CAGR of 2.5% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which is the fastest growing region in Coffee Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Coffee Market?
In 2023, the Europe accounts for the largest market share in the Coffee Market.
Coffee Trade Analysis Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Coffee Trade Analysis market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Coffee Trade Analysis analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.