|Study Period:||2015 - 2026|
|Largest Share by Vehicle Type:||Commercial Vehicles|
|Fastest Growing by Vehicle Type:||Passenger Vehicles|
The Canada Automotive Engine Oils Market is at 297.16 million liters in 2021 and is projected to register a CAGR of 2.19% to reach 331.08 million liters in 2026. In 2020, post the COVID-19 outbreak, sales of off-road and dual-sport bikes significantly increased, and they are likely to grow at a decent rate during the forecast period.
- Largest Segment by Vehicle Type - Commercial Vehicles : The average engine oil capacity of heavy-duty trucks and buses was high, attributed to the highest consumption of engine oil from the commercial vehicle sector in Canada.
- Fastest Segment by Vehicle Type - Passenger Vehicles : As lockdown measures and social restrictions are slowly being eased in the country, the usage of passenger vehicles is likely to increase and boost engine oil consumption.
Scope of the Report
|By Vehicle Type|
Key Market Trends
Largest Segment By Vehicle Type : Commercial Vehicles
- 0Ws and 5Ws were the most used engine oil grades for passenger vehicles in Canada. Similarly, 15Ws were the most used engine oil grades for commercial vehicles in Canada.
- Most of the engine oils used in Canada meet the latest standards set by the International Lubricant Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC) and the American Petroleum Institute (API). Although these synthetic grades have higher profit margins per gallon, they also support higher drain intervals. Hence, the higher penetration of synthetic engine oils significantly restrained the growth of this product type, in terms of volume, during 2015-2020.
- Post the COVID-19 outbreak, the engine oil change requirements of vehicles further declined. The usage of the existing automotive fleet is gradually boosting the engine oil volume consumption, which is likely to recover at a rate of 2.19% during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The Canada Automotive Engine Oils Market is fairly consolidated, with the top five companies occupying 82.72%. The major players in this market are BP PLC (Castrol), ExxonMobil Corporation, HollyFrontier (Petro‑Canada lubricants), Royal Dutch Shell Plc and Valvoline Inc. (sorted alphabetically).
- October 2021: Valvoline and Cummins extended their long-standing marketing and technology collaboration agreement for another five years. Cummins will endorse and promote Valvoline's Premium Blue engine oil for its heavy-duty diesel engines and generators and will distribute Valvoline products through its global distribution networks.
- June 2021: TotalEnergies and Stellantis group renewed their partnership for cooperation across different segments. Along with the renewal of partnerships with Peugeot, Citroën, and DS Automobiles, the new collaboration extends to Opel, and Vauxhall as well. This partnership includes the development and innovation of lubricants, first-fill in Stellantis group vehicles, recommendation of Quartz lubricants, and shared usage of charging stations operated by TotalEnergies, among others.
- March 2021: Castrol announced the launch of Castrol ON (a Castrol e-fluid range that includes e-gear oils, e-coolants, and e-greases) to its product portfolio. This range is specially designed for electric vehicles.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary & Key Findings
2.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
2.2 Scope of the Study
2.3 Research Methodology
3. Key Industry Trends
3.1 Automotive Industry Trends
3.2 Regulatory Framework
3.3 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Vehicle Type
4.1.1 Commercial Vehicles
4.1.3 Passenger Vehicles
4.2 By Product Grade
5. Competitive Landscape
5.1 Key Strategic Moves
5.2 Market Share Analysis
5.3 Company Profiles
5.3.1 Boss Lubricants
5.3.2 BP PLC (Castrol)
5.3.3 Chevron Corporation
5.3.4 ExxonMobil Corporation
5.3.6 HollyFrontier (Petro‑Canada lubricants)
5.3.7 Phillips 66 Lubricants
5.3.8 Royal Dutch Shell Plc
5.3.10 Valvoline Inc.
6.1 Appendix-1 References
6.2 Appendix-2 List of Tables & Figures
7. Key Strategic Questions for Lubricants CEOs
List of Tables & Figures
VEHICLE POPULATION, NUMBER OF UNITS, CANADA, 2015 - 2026
COMMERCIAL VEHICLES POPULATION, NUMBER OF UNITS, CANADA, 2015 - 2026
MOTORCYCLES POPULATION, NUMBER OF UNITS, CANADA, 2015 - 2026
PASSENGER VEHICLES POPULATION, NUMBER OF UNITS, CANADA, 2015 - 2026
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, BY VEHICLE TYPE, 2015-2026
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY VEHICLE TYPE, 2020
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, COMMERCIAL VEHICLES, 2015-2026
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET, COMMERCIAL VEHICLES, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2020
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, MOTORCYCLES, 2015-2026
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET, MOTORCYCLES, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2020
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, 2015-2026
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET, PASSENGER VEHICLES, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2020
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT GRADE, 2020
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET, MOST ACTIVE COMPANIES, BY NUMBER OF STRATEGIC MOVES, 2018 - 2021
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET, MOST ADOPTED STRATEGIES, 2018 - 2021
CANADA AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS MARKET SHARE(%), BY MAJOR PLAYERS, 2019
- Vehicle Types - Passenger Vehicles, Commercial Vehicles and Motorcycles are the vehicle types considered under the automotive lubricants market.
- Product Types - For the purpose of this study, lubricant products such as engine oils, transmission oils, greases and hydraulic fluids are taken into consideration.
- Service Refill - Service refill is the primary factor considered while accounting the lubricant consumption for each of the vehicle segments, under the study.
- Factory Fill - First lubricant fill-ups for newly produced vehicles are considered.
Mordor Intelligence follows a four-step methodology in all our reports.
- Step-1: Identify Key Variables: The quantifiable key variables (industry and extraneous) pertaining to the specific product segment and country are selected from a group of relevant variables & factors based on desk research & literature review; along with primary expert inputs. These variables are further confirmed through regression modeling (wherever required).
- Step-2: Build a Market Model: In order to build a robust forecasting methodology, the variables and factors identified in Step-1 are tested against available historical market numbers. Through an iterative process, the variables required for market forecast are set and the model is built on the basis of these variables.
- Step-3: Validate and Finalize: In this important step, all market numbers, variables and analyst calls are validated through an extensive network of primary research experts from the market studied. The respondents are selected across levels and functions to generate a holistic picture of the market studied.
- Step-4: Research Outputs: Syndicated Reports, Custom Consulting Assignments, Databases & Subscription Platforms