Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market Analysis
The automotive seat belt pretensioner market was valued at USD 13.90 billion in 2021, and it is expected to reach USD 20.62 billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of about 6.78% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
The COVID-19 pandemic affected the automobile industry as demand and sales of automobiles in most countries declined in 2020. However, post lockdown, an increase in the demand for automobiles started picking up pace, which is expected to raise the demand for seatbelt pretensioner in various countries across the world over the forecast period.
The primary drivers propelling the market's growth include technological advancements, increasing awareness, and stringent safety regulations and laws by governments across the world. Moreover, an increase in the adoption of automotive seat belt pretensioner-embedded vehicles with the increase in passenger safety and government laws may boost the demand and sales of the seat belt pretensioner in automobiles across the world.
Asia-Pacific is expected to hold the largest market share in the automotive seat belt pretensioner market, followed by North America and Europe. Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the market over the forecast period due to an increase in vehicle production and sales in developing countries such as India and China.
Moreover, rising awareness about safety among people and strict government norms toward driver and passenger safety are expected to propel the market's growth in this region.
Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Industry Segmentation
An automotive seat belt pretensioner is generally designed to retract some of the webbing of a seatbelt when an instant collision occurs by tightening the seatbelt to restrain occupants quickly and reducing the amount they are thrown forward in a moderate or severe frontal crash.
The automotive seat belt pretensioner market report covers details about the latest trends, developments, and technologies in the X-by-Wire system market. The scope of the report covers segmentation based on technology, seat type, vehicle type, end-user type, and geography.
By technology, the market is segmented into retractor pretensioner and buckle pretensioner. By seat type, the market is segmented into rear type and front type. By vehicle type, the market is segmented into passenger cars and commercial vehicles.
By end-user type, the market is segmented into OEM and aftermarket. By geography, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa. For each segment, market sizing and forecast have been done on the basis of value (USD billion).
|By Seat Type|
|By Vehicle Type|
|By End-user Type|
Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market according to our research experts:
Passenger Car Segment Expected to Hold Majority Share in the Market
The passenger cars segment of the market studied is expected to dominate the market over the forecast period. The increasing number of SUV sales across the world has been a major driver for the market. The increased ride height places the vehicle’s center of gravity high, increasing the risk of the vehicle toppling or overturning when it is cornering at high speed. In order to minimize the damage, it is imperative to use pretensioners equipped with seatbelts. It catered to 30.7 million units of SUVs sold in 2020.
- However, the impact of COVID-19 is inevitable on the market due to several manufacturing facilities shutting down and declining vehicle production. New passenger car sales across the world witnessed a significant decline during 2020. However, new vehicle models launched in 2020 across major regions had seatbelt pretensioners as standard.
Earlier, seatbelt pretensioners were available in premium car segments due to the high initial expenditure for developing this technology. Due to the increased need for passenger safety and owing to several crashes, the technology was made affordable for low-cost markets.
- The world has also witnessed a huge number of passenger vehicle sales, including SUVs, peaking at 74.9 million units sold in 2019 and reducing to 63.8 million units in 2020. Such a high number of passenger cars also points toward the immense potential for pretensioners due to the mandates laid by international organizations for passenger safety.
In light of such advancements, growth in passenger cars is expected to be steady and consistent during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Witness Fastest Growth over the Forecast Period
Asia-Pacific is expected to occupy the largest share by volume and value due to the growing vehicle sales in the region. Countries such as China, South Korea, Japan, and India are the major manufacturers of automotive seatbelt pretensioners. The increasing number of premium vehicles and strict road safety norms are expected to drive the Asia-Pacific automotive seatbelt pretensioner market during the forecast period. For instance,
- As of 2003, only 24 million vehicles had been registered in China, whereas by 2018, that number had skyrocketed to 232.21 million cars. In 2020 alone, the number of newly registered vehicles in China had amounted to around 20.17 million cars. Increasing vehicle production, upgradation of road infrastructure, and stringent road safety norms are expected to drive the Chinese automotive seatbelt pretensioner market.
Increasing fatalities due to road accidents have forced governments across the region to take preventive measures and make seatbelts mandatory for both drivers and passengers.
· In 2018, South Korea introduced Universal Seatbelt Law, according to which every passenger traveling will have to wear the seatbelt. Violation of the law will attract a penalty of KRW 30,000, those younger than 13 will be fined twice as high.
Owing to the above-mentioned factors, the automotive seatbelt pretensioner market is expected to experience a boost in the Asia-Pacific region.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Industry Overview
market is said to be relatively consolidated, with about five players accounting for more than 50% of the market share. These companies have been expanding their businesses with new products to have the edge over their competitors.
Owing to increased demand for seatbelt pretensioners, several manufacturers are partnering with major players in the industry to source components for their upcoming vehicle models. For instance,
- In December 2021, BMW launched its new I4 at the BMW World event at corporate HQ in Munich. The new I4 equips a seat pretensioner system from Gedia Gebrueder Dingerkus.
Apart from these, several automobile manufacturers have been introducing seatbelt pretensioners in the wake of increased safety standards in virtually every country of the world. For instance,
- Renault India, in June 2021, tested its most basic safety specifications in models that were offered with bare minimum features. The Triber model, for instance, showed significant improvements with improved chest and head protection for rear-seat passengers. The vehicle offers optimum head and body protection with the help of the proper positioning of center seat belts.
Some of the key players in the market are Joyson Safety Systems, Autoliv Inc., Tokai Rika Co. Ltd, and Iron Force Industrial Co. Ltd.
Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market Leaders
Joyson Safety Systems
Tokai Rika Co. Ltd
Iron Force Industrial Co. Ltd
ZF Friedrichshafen AG
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market News
- In May 2021, Continental Engineering Services announced a collaboration with Tri Eye. This collaboration will focus on the implementation of SWIR imaging systems in Driver Monitoring Systems. With Tri Eye's technology, Continental Engineering Services will be able to offer its customers valuable sensing solutions, such as enhanced user identification capabilities or precise seat belt detection.
- In November 2020, ŠKODA patented the world’s first illuminated smart seat belt buckle that features a clear transparent button in place of the traditional red eject button. The patented system will use red, green, and white colors to indicate different usage modes.
Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Technology
5.1.1 Retractor Pretensioner
5.1.2 Buckle Pretensioner
5.2 By Seat Type
5.3 By Vehicle Type
5.3.1 Passenger Cars
5.3.2 Commercial Vehicles
5.4 By End-user Type
5.5 By Geography
5.5.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 Rest of North America
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.5.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.5.5 Middle East & Africa
18.104.22.168 United Arab Emirates
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 ZF Friedrichshafen AG
6.2.2 Autoliv Inc.
6.2.3 Ashimori Industry Co. Ltd
6.2.4 Joyson Safety Systems
6.2.5 ITW Automotive Products GmbH
6.2.6 Continental AG
6.2.7 Hyundai Mobis Co. Ltd
6.2.8 Special Devices Inc.
6.2.9 Iron Force Industrial Co. Ltd
6.2.10 Tokai Rika Co. Ltd
6.2.11 Hasco Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market?
The Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.78% over the next 5 years.
What is Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market size in 2018?
The Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market is valued at 14 Billion USD in 2018.
What is Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market size in 2028?
The Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market is valued at 20 Billion USD in 2028.
Which region has highest growth rate in Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market?
Autoliv Inc., Joyson Safety Systems, Tokai Rika Co. Ltd, Iron Force Industrial Co. Ltd, ZF Friedrichshafen AG are the major companies operating in Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Market.
Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Automotive Seat Belt Pretensioner analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.