|Study Period:||2018 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Automotive Piston Engine System Market was valued at USD 30 Billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 43 Billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of over 6%, during the forecast period.
The Covid-19 pandemic has had a negative impact on the market, owing to the decreased sales registered by the automotive industry worldwide. With stringent lockdown, the production plants for different OEMs were shut down and the vehicle dealers did not register enough sales in 2020. Also, with no travel activity, and reduced vehicle repair activity, the need for aftermarket piston systems was also reduced, forcing the Piston Engine System market's economy to run low.
- Innovations and prototypes of engines from major automakers and OEMs, coupled with consumer preferences for high-performance and fuel-efficient automobiles, are some of the major factors that are propelling the market growth.
- Engine downsizing trends are on the rise, with automakers developing smaller engines with better fuel injection systems. L4 and V6 engines dominated the vehicle category; thereby, creating a demand for more than four pistons in the engine, by placement type, in 2019. Passenger cars have continued their dominance as the major vehicle type in the market.
- Over the past five years, the sales trends of gasoline and diesel engine have been experiencing significant growth and decline, respectively. The production of piston systems has been gaining traction from both the engine types, as well from the aftermarket channel. For instance, companies, like Shriram Pistons and Rings, Bosch, Mahle, etc., have stated that more than 22% of their revenues is generated from aftermarket channels that strengthen their brand recognition.
With China, India, and Japan growing as global automotive manufacturer hubs, the Asia-Pacific region is expected to continue as a major market for automotive piston systems, owing to the increase in manufacturing during the forecast period.
Scope of the report
The Automotive Piston Engine System Market is segmented by Raw Material Type (Cast Iron, Aluminum Alloy, and Others), by Vehicle Type (Passenger Cars and Commercial Vehicles), by Fuel Type (Gasoline and Diesel), by Component Type (Piston, Piston Ring, and Piston Pin), and by Geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World). The report offers market size and forecasts for Automotive Piston Engine System in volume and value (USD Billion) for all the above segments.
Key Market Trends
Rising Sales of Electric Vehicle is hindering the Growth of Automotive Piston System Market
The rise in sales of electric vehicles is hindering the growth of the automotive piston system market. The spike in sales has been the result of an increase in regulatory norms, by various organizations and governments, to control emission levels and to propagate zero-emission vehicles.
As a result, automakers have been continually working and focusing to increase their expenditure on the R&D of electric vehicles, which, in turn, is aiding the OEMs to market electric vehicles in the future.
The global electric vehicles (including Battery Electric Vehicles, Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles, and Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles) market has observed a tremendous increase in the number of sales registered every year from 2018. This increase was registered in almost all the segments of vehicles which include passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles. For instance,
- In the year 2020, the total passenger electric cars registered were 2.98 million units as compared to 2.12 million units registered in 2019, representing a Y-o-Y growth of 41%.
- A total of 83,499 units of electric buses were registered in 2020, as compared to 77,093 units registered in 2019, accounting for a Y-o-Y growth of 8%.
- In the Vans segment, a total of 95,315 units of electric LCVs were registered in 2020, as opposite to 70,382 units registered in 2019, registering a Y-o-Y growth of 35%.
With the increased inclination towards electric vehicles, governments of different countries offering subsidies and the growing need for automation and reduced emissions, the electrification of automotive industry is a major restraint for the market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific and Europe are Projected To Dominate The Market
Europe and Asia are projected to be the leading regions for the Automotive Piston Engine system market during the forecast period. This is mainly due to the heavy reliance on Internal Combustion Engines especially in commercial vehicles operating in the European region. For instance,
- In 2020, diesel dominated the European truck registrations with a huge 96.5% of market share of new trucks registered, with a mere 1% decrease of market share from 2019, in spite of the huge market growth potential for electric vehicles.
- Although the sales figures of commercial trucks powered by Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) saw a dip in 2020, compared to 2019, the market share and preference of ICE over other types of vehicles has been constant and has driven the Piston Engine System market. For example, the number of ICE trucks registered in Europe stood at 225,854 units in 2020, as compared to 303,393 units in 2019 and yet, occupied a major share of the trucks market.
- The passenger cars segment of the European market was still dominated by the conventional fuels with a combined market share of 75.5% in 2020 for both petrol and diesel engine vehicles. The total diesel cars registered in 2020 stood at 2,778,817 units as opposed to 4,106,951 units in 2019, with a Y-o-Y decrease of 32.3%, while petrol cars stood at 4,713,778 units in 2020, as compared to 7,514,812 units in 2019, registering a Y-o-Y decrease of 37.3%.
In Asia-Pacific, India and ASEAN countries have dominated the automotive market in terms of vehicle sales based on Internal Combustion Engines. For instance,
- In 2020, a total of 2,427,883 units of passenger vehicles were registered in India as compared to 2,936,626 units in 2019, recording a Y-o-Y decline of 17.32%. Of the total vehicles registered in 2020, a mere 1,554 units were electric cars, indicating the huge market for piston engine systems in the country.
- Major countries of the ASEAN have reported a total of 2,453,808 units of new vehicles registered in 2020, showing a 29% decline in sales from 3,458,476 units in 2019. The decrease in sales mostly was due to the global coronavirus pandemic and in spite of the decrease, conventional fuel based engines occupied the majority of market share as opposed to the electric vehicles.
With the immense market for conventional IC Engines in the regions, despite the growing inclination towards electric vehicles, the growth potential for Automotive Piston Engine systems is still high in both Europe and Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The Automobile Piston System Market is consolidated with only a few companies dominating the market. Some of the major companies dominating the market are Aisin Seiki, Federal-Mogul Holding LLC, Rheinmetall Automotive AG, Hitachi Automotive Systems, Mahle GmbH, amongst others.
- Rheinmetall in February 2021, announced the strategic re-alignment to integrate the small and large bore pistons business into the Rheinmetall Group as a whole, in a view to achieving better profitability for the company.
- In March 2020, Tenneco (Federal-Mogul Holding LLC), has announced the supply of complete engine components for the Chevrolet Corvette, which includes pistons, piston rings, bearings, and other engine products.
In 2021, Rheinmetall has opened a new technology center in Nanjing, China in a strategic partnership with ZYNP Corporation and Riken Corporation to develop and produce complete piston systems.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Raw Material
5.1.1 Cast iron
5.1.2 Aluminium Alloy
5.2.1 Passenger Cars
5.2.2 Commercial Vehicle
5.3 Fuel Type
5.4 Component Type
5.4.2 Piston Ring
5.4.3 Piston Pin
5.5.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 Rest of North America
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.5.3 Asia Pacific
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.5.4 Rest of the World
22.214.171.124 South America
126.96.36.199 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles*
6.2.1 Aisin Seiki
6.2.2 Art Metal Mfg Co. Ltd
6.2.3 Federal Mogul Holding LLC
6.2.4 Mahle GmbH
6.2.5 Rheinmetall Automotive AG
6.2.6 Hitachi Automotive Systems Ltd
6.2.7 Shriram Pistons & Rings Ltd
6.2.8 Magna International Inc.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Automotive Piston System Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Automotive Piston System Market?
The Automotive Piston System Market is growing at a CAGR of >6% over the next 5 years.
What is Automotive Piston System Market size in 2018?
The Automotive Piston System Market is valued at 30 Billion USD in 2018.
What is Automotive Piston System Market size in 2026?
The Automotive Piston System Market is valued at 43 Billion USD in 2026.
Which region has highest growth rate in Automotive Piston System Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Automotive Piston System Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Automotive Piston System Market?
Aisin Seiki , Federal-Mogul Holding LLC , Rheinmetall Automotive AG , Hitachi Automotive Systems , Mahle GmbH are the major companies operating in Automotive Piston System Market.