|Study Period:||2018 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The automated plate readers market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 10.8% over the forecast period (2021 - 2026).
Besides the need for a profound understanding of SARS-CoV-2 biology and for the swift development of treatments, the COVID-19 outbreak focused significant efforts on the development of diagnostic methods to identify infected individuals. The Automated Systems from Berthold Technologies allow unattended automation of most microplate-based assays.
- The operational and strategic needs of labs are continually changing, evolving, and expanding. The adoption of a new laboratory automation solution utilizes a workflow analysis and offers benefits to laboratories to a large extent. A workflow study will provide lab leaders with a transparent and data-driven picture of what the laboratory is doing right now.
- This is where comes the role of automated plate readers which are plate readers for quantifying protein and other activities, via a specific light source connected through an optical filter, for analyzing the sample. Fluorescence detection is developed for detecting microplate. It is more expensive than absorbance detection. In the pattern for fluorescence detection, the sample undergoes illumination through two optical systems.
- The need for flexibility and adaptability in a laboratory is driving more number of laboratories to look for solutions that will help in growing their panel selections in diagnostic systems, along with the ability to offer flexibility to third-party providers.
- The market is witnessing an increase in investments from government agencies and private organizations to finance the R&D activities in small companies striving to advance their initial discoveries to commercial development. For instance, the Department of Health and Human Services’ Small Business Innovation Research and Small Business Technology Transfer programs provide financial assistance to small companies endeavoring to advance their primary discoveries to commercial development. However, the major challenge for automated plate readers is to interconnect various platforms across the lab.
Scope of the Report
An automated plate reader is a device to detect chemical, biological, or physical reactions by hitting them with light and then measuring its characteristics since every element solid or liquid emits different characteristics when being hit by the light. The market study comprises of Product Type, Application and Geography.
|By Product Type|
|Dedicated Microplate Readers (Single-mode Readers)|
|Multimode Microplate Readers|
|Genomics and Proteomics Research|
|Rest of the World|
Key Market Trends
Bioanalysis Application is Growing Exponentially
- The use of technology to streamline or substitute manual intervention of equipment and processes is known as lab automation. Technological innovations leading to device miniaturization and increased throughput, demand for replicable and accurate solutions to aid diagnostics/clinical research, and the need for efficient testing processes to off-set lack of highly skilled laboratory professionals, are the factors fuelling the growth in bioanalysis.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific's Varioskan LUX multimode microplate reader can simplify the measurement with the automatic dynamic range selection, and its smart safety controls are workflow and help to avoid the experimental errors by its flexible range of measurement technologies including Absorbance, Fluorescence, Intensity, Luminescence, AlphaScreen, and Time-resolved Fluorescence.
- This segment is expected to grow with the highest annual growth rate during the forecast period. This is due to the snowballing investments and R&D activities in biotechnology, physical, engineering, and life sciences for applications in drug discovery, which will propel the need for automated plate readers.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Account for Significant Market Share
- The market landscape in North America is extremely dynamic, with a high level of merger and acquisition activities and many high-value deals. The United States is a major contributor in this region.
- According to PerkinElmer, with GPCR-targeting drugs accounting for more than 30% of all FDA-approved therapeutics and 20% of all drugs being studied, this area of R&D has been prominent and holds immense potential for the future. By adding these new assays to its already robust GPCR capabilities, the company provides researchers a complete solution for unlock the role GPCRs play in disease so new and better therapeutics can be uncovered.
- Further, in 2020, despite challenges related to the COVID-19 outbreak, the FDA approved 30 new drugs and biologic agents, 45 supplemental drug and biologic applications, and one biosimilar application in oncology). By the end of August (August 28, 2020), the US Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA’s) Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) approved 38 NMEs. Of these 38 NME approvals, 29 were small molecules (27 drugs & two diagnostic agents), or 76% of the 38 NMEs approved thus far in 2020 by the FDA’s CDER.
- Moreover, stringent regulations for the classification of devices imposed by the US government and the FDA, to assure safety and effectiveness, along with the growing demand in the market, is also expected to drive the market for automated plate readers.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The major players include Thermo Fisher Scientific, Tecan Group Ltd, Eppendorf AG, Bio-Rad, Siemens Healthcare, Bio-Tec, Shimadzu Corp., PerkinElmer, and Danaher Corporation, among others. The market is fragmented because there is a major competition going on between the major players in terms of R&D.
- November 2020 - Enzo Biochem Inc., a prominent biosciences and diagnostics company, announced the launch of a small portable microplate reader for use with its immunoassays and molecular diagnostics, offering new opportunities in point-of-care (POC) medicine.
- November 2020 - BioTek's Synergy Neo2 Hybrid Multi-Mode microplate reader received expanded certification from Cisbio Bioassays for HTRF technology, a TR-FRET assay platform in the Life Sciences. The reader was recently updated with an optional TRF laser. The TRF laser offers ultra-fast measurement speed, along with optimal sensitivity for critical screening applications such as Time-Resolved Fluorescence (TRF) and Time-Resolved Fluorescence Energy Transfer (TR-FRET) assays.
- April 2020 - BioNTech SE announced that the German regulatory authority, the Paul-Ehrlich Institute, has approved the Phase I/II clinical trial for the company’s BNT162 vaccine program to prevent COVID-19 infection. BioNTech and Pfizer are jointly developing BNT162. Such initiatives are anticipated to create scope for the market.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Increasing R&D Expenditure in the Pharmaceutical Industry and Growing Demand from Drug Discovery and Genomics
4.3.2 Technological Advancement (Launch of Products with New Features)
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 High Cost of Microplate Systems
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.7 Technology Snapshot (Detection Modes)
4.7.4 Time-resolved Fluorescence
4.7.5 Fluorescence Polarization
4.7.6 Light Scattering
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.1 Dedicated Microplate Readers (Single-mode Readers)
5.1.2 Multimode Microplate Readers
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 Drug Discovery
5.2.2 Genomics and Proteomics Research
5.2.3 Clinical Diagnostics
5.2.4 Other Applications
5.3.1 North America
5.3.3 Asia Pacific
5.3.4 Rest of the World
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Molecular Devices LLC (Danaher Corporation)
6.1.2 Thermo Fisher Scientific
6.1.3 PerkinElmer Inc.
6.1.4 BioTek Instruments Inc. (Agilent Technologies Inc.)
6.1.5 Tecan Group Ltd
6.1.6 Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.
6.1.7 Eppendorf AG
6.1.8 BMG Labtech
6.1.9 Enzo Biochem Inc.
6.1.10 Berthold Technologies GmbH & Co. KG
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Automated Plate Readers Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Automated Plate Readers Market?
The Automated Plate Readers Market is growing at a CAGR of 10.8% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Automated Plate Readers Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Automated Plate Readers Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Automated Plate Readers Market?
Bio-Rad Laboratories, Eppendorf AG, Tecan Group Ltd, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Molecular Device LLC are the major companies operating in Automated Plate Readers Market.