Ampoules Packaging Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Ampoules Packaging Market Analysis
The ampoules packaging market was valued at USD 4.1 billion in 2021, and it is expected to reach a value of USD 6.27 billion by 2027 at a CAGR of 7.4%, during the forecast period (2022-2027). Packaging is considered to be a critical stage in the manufacturing process, where the value addition process is one of the significant trends. The pharmaceutical industry has been using ampoules, especially glass, for a very long period, as a primary packaging solution.
- The surge in government initiatives to increase the adoption of generic products, government support to start a generic medical store, and a high prevalence of infectious diseases in the region are some factors that are anticipated to boost the generic injectables market in the region, during the forecast period.
- The emergence of plastic ampoules in the market has been to counter some of the concerns relating to glass particles entering the contents, during the breaking of the ampoules. This is expected to create an opportunity for plastic ampoules manufacturers and may be impacted by regulatory upgrades and standards present in the respective nation.
- Since the usage of ampoules is profoundly impacted by its demand in the pharmaceutical and life sciences end users, the market remains highly inclined toward these end-users for demand variations.
- Regulatory and advisory bodies overseeing vaccine quality and safety, governments across industrialized and developing countries, and pooled procurement agencies are some of the leading entities driving the demand for the vaccine market across the world. This is expected to give a boost to ampoule production capacity in the near term.
- Asia-Pacific may witness significant growth in the market, as developing countries, such as India, witness exceptional growth in a pharmaceutical market where players, like SGD Pharma India Ltd., produces 4,000 metric ton of tubular vials and ampoules annually (corresponding to more than 700 million pieces at the Vemula glassworks of SGD Pharma (India)) to meet the demand for the ampoules in the market.
- Likewise, manufacturers of ampoules are significantly investing in the capacity to expand their foothold in the market. For instance, Schott AG Kaisha planned to invest INR 50 crores in the plant, to set up a production capacity of 360 million ampoules.
- The spread of COVID-19 has negatively impacted the market, due to disruptions in the supply chain initially as a result of delayed production, globally. However, the scenario changed significantly. For instance, FEVE (Federation of European manufacturers of glass containers and machine-made glass) called on the authorities to recognize the critical role of container glass manufacturing and subsequently led the manufacturing continuity across all plants to supply people with food, beverages, and pharmaceutical goods.
Ampoules Packaging Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Ampoules Packaging Market according to our research experts:
Plastic Ampoules Packaging to Hold a Significant Share
- Demand for plastic ampoules is witnessing significant growth from the pharmaceutical industry, Features that led to increased pharmaceutical adoption are barrier against moisture, high dimensional stability, high impact strength, resistance to strain, low water absorption, transparency, resistance to heat and flame, and extension of expiry dates. Moreover, the high demand for low-cost packaging is another significant driver to the same.
- Glass containers are characteristically fragile and have been found to cause concerns involving the drug and container interaction. These storage limitations have led to the growing interest in plastic ampoules that can be effectively filled, shipped, stored, and administered safely while following strict regulatory standards.
- With an increase in liquid dosage forms, the need for plastic packaging is on the rise. These are often the preferred choice for premium products that require extreme protection from foreign particle interference.
- Liquid/semisolid drug dosages are widely used for children for different medication needs. Children need smaller doses due to difficulty in swallowing tablets or capsules. Over the last few years, there has been increasing pressure to ensure that drugs are available in the form which is suitable for administration to children.
- On the other hand, unit dose parenteral packaging as a choice for consumers over multi-dose packaging has been increasing. Plastic ampoules offer fixed dosages that help pharmaceutical companies control costs by reducing drug overfill and inefficiencies in the manufacturing process. Therefore, the use of plastic ampoules is particularly advantageous for companies dealing with costly drugs.
- For instance, in the United States, as per the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, unit dose plastic ampoules account for almost 24% for pharmaceutical packaging. The segment is expected to generate above-average growth opportunities to ampoule packaging.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Latin America To Show Significant Growth Over Long Term
- In Latin America, the market growth is impacted, as the countries are proactively working to reduce these counterfeit medicine, vaccines, and drugs from reaching the consumers.
- Brazil, for instance, is among the most prominent pharmaceutical markets in the region, with projections estimating it to emerge as a significant player on the global level. Brazil's pharmaceutical business is now positioned as the sixth in the world and is projected to be in the top five, by end of 2022.
- Similarly, Mexico is globally positioned on 11th rank, on the list of countries in the pharmaceutical market. On the other hand, Argentina is considered the third-largest market in the region. These countries with the promising future of the pharmaceutical industry present a high opportunity for ampoules.
- Moreover, Latin America's geriatric base is increasing rapidly. In 2010, 10% of the region's population was above 60 years, and by the end of 2040, this number is estimated to more than double, reaching 21%, according to Pharmaphorum. With this increasing aging population, chronic diseases are principally driven, because over 80% of adults aged over 60 years have at least one chronic disease.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Ampoules Packaging Industry Overview
The ampoules packaging market is fragmented. The surge in government initiatives, and increasing demand for injectables and other medicines, provide lucrative opportunities in the ampoules packaging market. Overall, the competitive rivalry among existing competitors is high. Moving forward, expansion and mergers of large companies in different pharmaceutical industries are expected to increase the demand of ampoules packaging. Key players are Schott AG, Amposan SA, Gerresheimer AG, etc.
- August 2021 - Serum Institute of India, the largest vaccine producer and manufacturer of biologics, had bought a 50% stake in the Indian packaging joint venture SCHOTT Kaisha. The joint venture between Germany's specialty glass company SCHOTT AG and Indian group Kaisha, manufactures pharma packaging products such as vials, syringes, ampoules and cartridges used to package life-saving medications.
- May 2021 - Japan-based packaging company Nipro PharmaPackaging had acquired Croatian glass pharmaceutical packaging manufacturer Piramida. Under the ownership of Blue Sea Capital private equity fund, Piramida got a modernisation of its facilities, welcomed eight new production lines, and witnessed a strong development of its ampoules and vials business. This led the company being ranked among the top five largest ampoule manufacturers for the pharmaceutical industry in the European market.
Ampoules Packaging Market Leaders
James Alexander Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Ampoules Packaging Market News
January 2022 - Following an increasing worldwide demand for high-quality pharma solutions, Schott announced a major investment: In China, the company plans to triple the production capacity for vials and ampoules.
March 2021 - Aenova, one of the leading development service provider sand contract manufacturers for the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries, significantly increased its ampoule capacities, at its Gronau site. With the new ampoule filling and closing line, the sixth sterile line at the Gronau site, a new fully automatic optical control line and a likewise new packaging line, a total of more than 100 million ampoules and vials can now be produced per year.
Ampoules Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Demand for Tamper-proof Pharmaceutical Product Packaging
4.3.2 Commodity Value of Glass Increased with Recyclability
4.3.3 Government Regulations and Standards
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Concerns Regarding Dumping of Used Ampoules
4.5 Impact of the COVID-19 on the Ampoules Packaging Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
5.2 Market Drivers
5.2.1 Demand for Tamper-proof Pharmaceutical Product Packaging
5.2.2 Government Regulations and Standards
5.3 Market Restraints
5.3.1 Concerns Regarding Dumping of Used Ampoules
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Material
6.2 By End-user Industry
6.2.2 Personal Care and Cosmetic
6.2.3 Other End-user Industries
6.4 North America
6.4.1 End User
188.8.131.52 Personal Care And Cosmetic
184.108.40.206 Other End-user Industries
220.127.116.11 United States
6.5.1 End User
18.104.22.168 Personal Care And Cosmetic
22.214.171.124 Other End-user Industries
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest Of Europe
6.6 Asia Pacific
6.6.1 End User
184.108.40.206 Personal Care And Cosmetic
220.127.116.11 Other End-user Industries
18.104.22.168 Rest Of Asia Pacific
6.7 Latin America
6.7.1 End User
22.214.171.124 Personal Care And Cosmetic
126.96.36.199 Other End-user Industries
188.8.131.52 Rest Of Latin America
6.8 Middle East and Africa
6.8.1 End User
184.108.40.206 Personal Care And Cosmetic
220.127.116.11 Other End-user Industries
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles*
7.1.1 Schott AG
7.1.2 Gerresheimer AG
7.1.3 Stevanato Group
7.1.4 ESSCO Glass
7.1.5 AAPL Solutions
7.1.6 Global Pharmatech Pvt Ltd
7.1.7 James Alexander Corporation
7.1.8 Nipro Pharma Packaging International NV
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Ampoules Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the current Ampoules Packaging Market size?
The Ampoules Packaging Market is projected to register a CAGR of 7.4% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Ampoules Packaging Market?
Schott AG, Gerresheimer AG, James Alexander Corporation, ESSCO Glass and Stevanato Group are the major companies operating in the Ampoules Packaging Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Ampoules Packaging Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Ampoules Packaging Market?
In 2023, the Asia-Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Ampoules Packaging Market.
Ampoules Packaging Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Ampoules Packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Ampoules Packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.