Agricultural Lubricants Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Market Volume (2024)
|1.56 Million tons
|Market Volume (2029)
|1.83 Million tons
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Agricultural Lubricants Market Analysis
The Agriculture Lubricants Market size is estimated at 1.56 Million tons in 2024, and is expected to reach 1.83 Million tons by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 3.26% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
In 2020, the agricultural lubricants market was affected negatively due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus, which resulted in lockdowns and different government restrictions worldwide. As a result, the agriculture equipment industry witnessed challenges as several companies struggled to remain operational because of the pandemic. However, in 2021 and 2022, the increased number of vaccinations helped the countries to gradually uplift restrictions like lockdowns. This also marked the recovery of the agriculture equipment industry and, thus, of the agricultural lubricants.
Factors such as the provision of subsidies for farm machinery by the Indian and Chinese governments, increasing farm mechanization rates in developing countries, and increasing cost of farm labor are projected to be the prominent drivers of the market.
However, the high cost of synthetic and bio-based lubricants will likely hinder market growth during the forecast period.
The growing prominence of biodegradable lubricants will likely act as an opportunity for market growth during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the global agricultural lubricants market during the forecast period.
Agricultural Lubricants Market Trends
Engine Oil Dominates the Market
- Engine or motor oils are widely used for lubricating internal combustion engines and are mainly composed of 75% to 90% base oils and 10% to 25% additives. They protect the engines from corrosion and keep them cool while in use.
- In the agricultural sector, engine oils are used in tractors, harvesters, and forage equipment to reduce maintenance, enhance wear and corrosion protection, improve engine reliability, and improve fuel efficiency.
- According to Pacific Fuel Solutions, Agricultural lubricants or oils can be used for plenty of different functions, but one of the most noticeable examples is engine oil. Farm machinery such as tractors and harvesters need to be effectively lubricated to maintain the parts in good working order while still being appropriate for use in the circumstances.
- Total, Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Chevron Lubricants, CONDAT Group, and Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. are some of the significant lubricant manufacturers offering various types of engine oils for agricultural equipment.
- Several leading vendors are investing in research and development to develop innovative equipment and maintain a strong tractor market foothold. Companies like Case IH and New Holland launched new autonomous tractors.
- Due to growing automation in farming practices combined with the increasing production of food and farmland expansions, the demand for new and used farm machinery or agriculture equipment is projected to increase year-on-year. This will substantially increase demand for engine oil in the agricultural lubricants market worldwide as it ensures longer life of the equipment because when the engine starts getting old, its engine oil consumption starts to increase.
- For instance, the International Grains Council projected that about 2.294 billion metric tons of grains were to be produced globally in the 2023-24 season, a 1.77% increase from a forecast of 2.254 billion tons for the 2022-23 season.
- According to Lemken CEO Anthony van der Ley, a 6-7% drop in international farm machinery sales will likely occur in 2024 due to the rise in inflation witnessed across all international markets over the past 12 months and the accompanying impact this has had on interest rates.
- Furthermore, according to Progressive Dairy, the used farm equipment market of Canada was expected to stay robust for most of 2023 and into 2024 because of the rising interest rates. Such trends of using aging engines propel the demand for engine oil.
- During the forecast period, all the factors mentioned above are projected to influence the dominance of engine oil in the agricultural lubricants market.
Asia-Pacific to witness Fastest Growth
- China is the largest lubricant consumer globally. China accounts for around 7% of the overall agricultural acreage globally, thus feeding 22% of the world population.
- The country is the largest producer of various crops, including rice, cotton, potatoes, and others. Owing to the large-scale agricultural activities in the country, a high demand for various types of agricultural machinery is present and will likely grow in the future. This will subsequently increase the demand for agricultural lubricants.
- For instance, the increasing area under cultivation enhanced the demand for agricultural machinery in China. For instance, corn acreage in China rose to 5% in 2022, and the output rose to 4.6%.
- India is the second-largest lubricant consumer in the region and the third-largest globally, after the United States and China.
- India is one of the economies that are largely dependent on agriculture. Agriculture is still the primary source of livelihood for more than 55% of the country's population.
- In 2022, tractor exports from India increased by 6%, reaching 131,850 units. It is the highest annual export in Indian history, up from 124,901 units in 2021. India accounts for nearly 2.1% of global tractor sales.
- Moreover, the Japanese government plans to increase agricultural production to 54 million tons by 2025, from 50 million tons in 2013. Additionally, the government plans to increase the producer income from USD 29 billion to USD 35 billion, an increase of approximately 21% over the same period, by enhancing agricultural output quantity and revenue and cutting costs.
- Such trends in the agriculture industry of the Asia-Pacific are expected to drive agricultural lubricants market growth at the fastest rate globally during the forecast period.
Agricultural Lubricants Industry Overview
The agricultural lubricants market is partially consolidated in nature. Some of the major players (not in any particular order) in the market studied include Shell plc, Fuchs, Exxon Mobil Corporation, TotalEnergies SE, and BP p.l.c., among others.
Agricultural Lubricants Market Leaders
Exxon Mobil Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Agricultural Lubricants Market News
- December 2023: Phillips 66 acquired Hunt & Sons Inc., a diversified petroleum distribution company based in Sacramento, California. The company specializes in commercial fleet fueling services, bulk fuel supply, and comprehensive lubricant solutions for industrial, commercial, agricultural, and automotive use.
- March 2023: Exxon Mobil Corporation announced that it invested nearly USD 110 million to build a lubricant manufacturing plant at the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation’s Isambe Industrial Area in Raigad, India.
- August 2022: Phillips 66 announced that it submitted a non-binding proposal to the board of directors of DCP Midstream's general partner, offering to buy all publicly held common units of DCP Midstream for cash. Phillips 66 is proposing USD 34.75 in compensation for each outstanding publicly-held common unit of DCP Midstream. It was part of a deal structured as a merger of DCP Midstream with an indirect subsidiary of Phillips 66, with DCP Midstream surviving.
- March 2022: HollyFrontier Corporation and Holly Energy created HF Sinclair Corporation, followed by the acquisition of Sinclair Oil Corporation and Sinclair Transportation Company. It was to enhance the company's lubricants business and strengthen its presence in the competitive market.
- March 2022: Morris Lubricants launched an innovative new range of advanced multifunctional lubricants designed to cover the majority of agricultural requirements. Applications for these lubricants included engines, gearboxes, hydraulics, and oil-immersed brake systems in a wide variety of agricultural equipment.
Agricultural Lubricants Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Provision of Subsidy for Farm Machinery by the Indian and Chinese Governments
4.1.2 Increasing Farm Mechanization Rates in Developing Countries
4.1.3 Increasing Cost of Farm Labor
4.2.1 High Cost of Synthetic and Bio-based Lubricants
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Engine Oil
5.1.2 Transmission and Hydraulic Fluid
5.1.4 Other Product Types
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.2.2 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.2.4 Rest of the World
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 BP p.l.c.
6.4.2 Chevron Corporation
6.4.3 CLASS KGaA mbH
6.4.5 Cougar Lubricants International Ltd.
6.4.6 Exol Lubricants Limited
6.4.7 Exxon Mobil Corporation
6.4.8 FRONTIER PERFORMANCE LUBRICANTS, INC.
6.4.10 Gulf Oil International Ltd.
6.4.11 Hf Sinclair Corporation
6.4.12 Lubrication Engineers
6.4.13 Morris Lubricants
6.4.14 Pennine Lubricants
6.4.15 Phillips 66 Company
6.4.17 Rymax Lubricants
6.4.18 Schaeffer Manufacturing Co.
6.4.19 Shell plc
6.4.20 TotalEnergies SE
6.4.22 Witham Group
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Prominence of Biodegradable Lubricants
7.2 Other Opportunities
Agricultural Lubricants Market Research FAQs
How big is the Agriculture Lubricants Market?
The Agriculture Lubricants Market size is expected to reach 1.56 million tons in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 3.26% to reach 1.83 million tons by 2029.
What is the current Agriculture Lubricants Market size?
In 2024, the Agriculture Lubricants Market size is expected to reach 1.56 million tons.
Who are the key players in Agriculture Lubricants Market?
Shell plc, Fuchs, Exxon Mobil Corporation, TotalEnergies SE and BP p.l.c. are the major companies operating in the Agriculture Lubricants Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Agriculture Lubricants Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Agriculture Lubricants Market?
In 2024, the Asia Pacific accounts for the largest market share in Agriculture Lubricants Market.
What years does this Agriculture Lubricants Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Agriculture Lubricants Market size was estimated at 1.51 million tons. The report covers the Agriculture Lubricants Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Agriculture Lubricants Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Agricultural Lubricants Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Agricultural Lubricants market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Agricultural Lubricants analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.