Maize Production in Africa Market Size & Share Analysis - Growth Trends & Forecasts (2023 - 2028)

The Report Covers Top Maize Producing Countries in Africa and Market Provides the Production (Volume), Consumption (Value and Volume), and Trade in Terms of Import (Value and Volume), Export (Value and Volume), and Price Trend Analysis of Maize in Africa. The Market is Segmented by Geography (South Africa, Ethiopia, Zambia, Nigeria, and Malawi). The report offers market estimation and forecasts in value (in USD thousand) and volume (in metric ton) for the above-mentioned segments.

Africa Maize Market Size

Africa Maize Market Summary
share button
Study Period 2018 - 2028
Base Year For Estimation 2022
Forecast Data Period 2023 - 2028
Market Size (2023) USD 38.80 Billion
Market Size (2028) USD 53.66 Billion
CAGR (2023 - 2028) 6.70 %

Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?

Africa Maize Market Analysis

The Africa Maize Market size is expected to grow from USD 38.80 billion in 2023 to USD 53.66 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 6.70% during the forecast period (2023-2028).

Maize is considered to be the staple food for most parts of Sub-Saharan Africa. The popularity and production of maize are increasing significantly, with government aid and investments flooding the African agriculture sector. Maize is also considered a food security crop in different parts of Africa as it can be easily produced in different regions year-round according to weather conditions. It provides income for most households that depend on agriculture. The major driving factors for the increasing production are the increasing population pushing food scarcity to new highs and the increasing demand for maize from other sectors like animal feed.

Africa consumes 30.0% of the maize produced in the world, with Sub-Saharan Africa accounting for 21.0% of the consumption. Around 14 countries in Africa consume 85.0-95.0% of maize as their staple food and are more inclined to white maize consumption, with a consumption share of around 90.0%. Thus, white maize has a premium price in the country. Most of the maize is produced in rain-fed areas. However, it is also grown in the drought and famine-stricken regions of Africa.

The total harvested area under maize in the region was around 43 million hectares in 2020. South Africa is the largest producer of maize in Africa, followed by Nigeria. According to USDA reports, maize production in Africa increased by almost 8.2% from 2017 to 2022, estimated to be 90.8 million metric tons. In 2021, South Africa contributed 1.34% of the global maize production, according to a survey done by USDA Foreign Agricultural Service.

The imports from Africa increased by 10.% in value from 2017 to 2021 and reached USD 5.17 million, accounting for 8.6% of the total import value of maize in the world, according to ITC trade data. South Africa is one of the major exporters of maize from the African region, accounting for almost 75% of the export quantity in 2021, estimated to be 3.32 million metric tons, followed by Tanzania, Mali, and Zambia, among others.

Africa Maize Market Trends

This section covers the major market trends shaping the Africa Maize Market according to our research experts:

Increasing Demand from the Animal Feed Industry

With its nutritional values, ease of production, and availability, maize is becoming an important alternative to the animal feed industry. Cereals are the most widely used ingredient in feeds across the world, including Africa. Maize is the most common cereal ingredient used in the manufacturing of feed in the region. The increasing cattle population is leading to the demand for animal feed production. According to Alltech Global Feed Survey, in 2021, a total of 44.2 million metric tons of feed was produced in the African region alone, a 2.4% growth from the previous year. The broiler feed production reached 11.7 million metric tons in 2021, a 1.1 % growth from the previous year, and the aquaculture feed production also saw an increase in the same period, reaching 1.49 million metric tons.

As maize is the major ingredient used in feed manufacturing, the demand for maize production is increasing. According to FAO, total cattle stocks increased to 8.1% in 2020 compared to 2017. Maize as a feed ingredient can increase egg production in poultry and meat mass in other animals. With low cost and easy availability, maize has become one of the best alternatives for producing animal feed with adequate nutrients. Yellow corn is one of the most widely used primary ingredients for animal feeds. In South Africa, around 65% of the maize produced is white, and the rest, 35%, is yellow maize used for animal feed. In the case of Uganda, 37% of the maize produced is used for animal feed.

Approximately 60% of the maize produced globally is used for animal feed, and the sudden increase in the consumption of poultry in Africa has increased the demand for maize as livestock feed. This, in turn, has stimulated the demand for maize as a feed ingredient in the region.

Africa Maize  Market: Africa Maize Market: Cattle Stocks in Million Heads, 2017-2020

South Africa dominates the Market

South Africa is the largest and most active producer of maize in Africa. South Africa has a relatively dry climate that contributes to a unique hardness and whiteness, which is of great importance to the milling industry. Hard maize ensures a higher-quality product and yield per ton, while whiteness is of importance to the consumer market. In South Africa, approximately 65.0% of the maize produced for human consumption is white, whereas the remaining 35.0% is yellow and used for animal feed.

However, maize production in the region is being continuously and severely affected by threats, such as weeds, insects, bacteria, viruses, nematodes, fungi, low-quality seed, low levels of mechanization, suboptimal post-harvest management, drought, and climate change. Despite all these factors, South Africa remains the top maize-producing country in the region, with the demand expected to increase during the forecast period.

South Africa Maize Market : Africa Maize Market: Export Volume in Million Metric Ton, South Africa, 2019-2021

Africa Maize Market News

  • October 2022: Kenya approved GMOs after a 10-year ban on the use of this technology, and this is expected to bring a major shift in the current crop production scenario in the country.
  • August 2022: The United States plans to provide USD 120 million as part of its international efforts to support livelihoods and nutrition. A part of this fund will be allotted to Africa to invest in good quality seeds for wheat, rice, maize, etc., to cover the next four years.
  • July 2022: The African Development Bank granted USD 5.4 million to Burundi, As part of the Emergency Agricultural Production Project to increase the production of maize and rice by promoting the use of climate-resilient seeds.

Africa Maize Market Report - Table of Contents


    1. 1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition

    2. 1.2 Scope of the Study




    1. 4.1 Market Overview

    2. 4.2 Market Drivers

    3. 4.3 Market Restraints

    4. 4.4 Value Chain Analysis


    1. 5.1 Geography (Production Analysis by Volume, Consumption Analysis by Volume and Value, Import Analysis by Volume and Value, Export Analysis by Volume and Value, and Price Trend Analysis)

      1. 5.1.1 South Africa

      2. 5.1.2 Ethiopia

      3. 5.1.3 Zambia

      4. 5.1.4 Nigeria

      5. 5.1.5 Malawi


Africa Maize Industry Segmentation

Maize is one of the cereal grains commonly known as corn and is a major cereal crop grown in the region. 

The African maize market provides the production (volume), consumption (value and volume), and trade in terms of import (value and volume), export (value and volume), and price trend analysis of maize in Africa. The market is segmented by geography (South Africa, Ethiopia, Zambia, Nigeria, and Malawi). The report offers market estimation and forecasts in value (in USD thousand) and volume (in metric tons) for the above-mentioned segments.

Geography (Production Analysis by Volume, Consumption Analysis by Volume and Value, Import Analysis by Volume and Value, Export Analysis by Volume and Value, and Price Trend Analysis)
South Africa

Report scope can be customized per your requirements. Click here.

You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?

Africa Maize Market Research FAQs

The Africa Maize Market size is expected to reach USD 38,803.22 million in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 6.70% to reach USD 53,664.84 million by 2028.

In 2023, the Africa Maize Market size is expected to reach USD 38,803.22 million.

Africa Maize Industry Report

Statistics for the 2023 Africa Maize market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Africa Maize analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.

80% of our clients seek made-to-order reports. How do you want us to tailor yours?

Please enter a valid email id!

Please enter a valid message!