3D Printing Materials & Services Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
3D Printing Materials & Services Market Analysis
The 3D Printing Materials and Services Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 23% over the forecast period 2021 - 2026. Additive manufacturing, also known as 3D printing, is an automated process used to create rapid prototypes and functional end-use parts that has witnessed increasing demand from healthcare, automotive, and other industries globally.
- One of the early adopters of 3D Printing Technology is the aircraft industry, where the technology is useful for producing complex parts by providing designers the advantage of creating the best parts with reduced cost and production feasibility. The industry mainly uses titanium metal and alloys as it offers good mechanical properties and high dimensional accuracy during production.
- The growing demand from the educational sector is also driving the growth of the market. With labs being set up at many educational institutions for 3D printing, such as for engineering students to enable them to print prototypes, for biology students to allow them to study cross-sections of organs, and graphic design students to work on 3D versions of their work.
- The push from the healthcare sector is also expected to impact the growth of the market positively. For instance, various medical products, such as surgical equipment, prosthetics & implants, and tissue engineering products, are manufactured through 3D printing technology and in other sector applications such as orthopedic, dental, and craniomaxillofacial, and more.
- The high material cost is the major restraint the market is facing due to high material costs owing to its higher standards of purity and composition required.
- The pandemic has negatively impacted the 3D Printing Materials market with the supply chain disruptions resulting in delays or non-delivery of raw materials, financial flows getting affected, and decrease of the workforce in the production line have resulted in industries such as aerospace & defense, automotive, construction, and others to operate at zero or partial capacities.
3D Printing Materials & Services Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the 3D Printing Materials & Services Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Applications in the Automotive Industry
- 3D printing materials are extensively used in the automotive industry to manufacture scaled models for testing. They are also used for components, such as bellows, front bumper, air conditioning ducting, suspension wishbone, dashboard interface, alternator mounting bracket, battery cover, etc. Automotive OEM manufacturers are using 3D printing materials for rapid prototyping.
- Owing to the advantages of the 3D printing process, such as low cost, less manufacturing time, reduced material wastage, etc., automotive manufacturers are moving toward the usage of this process. Some of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world, such as AUDI, Rolls Royce, Porsche, Hackrod, and many others, are using these materials for manufacturing spare parts and metal prototypes.
- The current slowdown in global automotive production has affected the market for polyester staple fiber because of the decreased demand for automotive fibers. Additionally, the current slowdown in automotive sales in countries such as China is further expected to hinder the demand for 3D printing materials.
- The pandemic has severely impacted the automotive sector globally; according to OICA (International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers), global production of vehicles in the third quarter of 2020 was around 50 million, a significant decrease compared to the production in the third quarter of 2019, which was around 65 million.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China is Expected to Dominate the Market
- China is among the fastest-growing markets in terms of new technologies and the usage of innovative materials for construction purposes. With China's dominating role as a global construction center, the accelerated development in the 3D concrete printing sector is likely to revolutionize the traditional construction industry in the country, with applications ranging from residential buildings to monuments.
- The country is involved in the construction of buildings, offices, and bridges using 3D printing technology. Additionally, Shanghai is the home for the longest 3D-printed bridge, which is 86 feet in length in the world, consisting of 176 concrete units.
- There are a few limitations for 3D printing in the construction sector, such as lack of confidence from building developers and absence of proper regulations for the usage of this technology. However, with the increasing awareness regarding new technologies and their advantages, organizations and individuals are increasingly tending toward cost-saving alternatives. This, in turn, is driving the demand in the 3D concrete printing market in the country.
- China has the world's largest automotive market in terms of production. Although the production in the country declined in the past few years, the electric vehicles segment is expected to grow. In April 2020, the Ministry of Finance of the People's Republic of China issued a notice on ways to promote financial subsidies for new electric vehicles. It stated that new EVs purchased between January 1, 2021, and December 31, 2022 would be exempted from vehicle purchase tax.
- Furthermore, the layer-by-layer deposition process in 3D printing allows sensors, antennas, and other functional electronics to be printed directly onto plastic components, metal surfaces, and even glass panels and ceramic materials.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
3D Printing Materials & Services Industry Overview
Companies operating in 3D Printing Materials and Services Market focus on the research and development of its materials for product differentiation and innovation in materials that could be applied for newer applications areas. The key market vendors include 3D Systems, Inc., Arkema Group, CRP Technology S.r.l., EnvisionTEC Inc., EOS GmbH Electro Optical Systems, General Electric Company, Hoganas AB, LPW Technology Ltd, Royal DSM N.V., Sandvik AB, Solvay, Stratasys Ltd, and Ultimaker B.V.
- September 2021 - 3D Systems introduced VisiJet Wax Jewel Red, an addition to the materials portfolio that is transforming jewelry production. The material enables jewelry manufacturers to design and produce more intricate, durable patterns as well as deliver improved production efficiency and reduced waste.
- September 2020 - DSM announced an agreement to sell DSM additive manufacturing to Covestro AG at the total purchase price of EUR 1.61 billion, as part of the sale of DSM Resins & Functional Materials and (other) related businesses. DSM Additive Manufacturing provides performance materials and deep application expertise in 3D printing to help manufacturers rethink the way they design products. As of that date, DSM reclassified these businesses as discontinued operations. The closing of the transaction is subject to regulatory approvals, including antitrust clearance.
3D Printing Materials & Services Market Leaders
3D Systems, Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
3D Printing Materials & Services Market News
- October 2021 - Arkema has announced the construction of a polyamide 11 powders plant on its Changshu platform in China, which is scheduled to start functioning in the first quarter of 2023. This investment will further support the growing demand for advanced bio-circular materials in Asia. These are demanding applications and provide solutions for fast-growing markets driven by trends such as durable home appliances, energy-efficient transport, and advanced additive manufacturing, primarily for consumer, industrial, and aerospace markets.
- May 2021 - Ultimaker started its offering for Ultimaker PETG to provide users with standard material for industrial applications. The material created by Ultimaker is extensively tested material profiles to ensure a hassle-free, reliable PETG experience on its 3D printers. PETG is a Glycol Modified version of Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET).
3D Printing Materials & Services Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. MARKET DYNAMICS
3.1 Market Overview
3.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
3.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
3.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
3.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
3.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
3.4 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
3.5 Market Drivers
3.5.1 Growing Usage in Manufacturing Applications
3.5.2 Mass Customization Associated with 3D Printing
3.5.3 Government Support for Research and Development
3.6 Market Restraints
3.6.1 High Capital Investment Requirement
4. MARKET SEGMENTATION
4.1 By Material
4.1.1 Plastics (including Polypropylene and other plastics)
4.1.4 Other Material Types
4.2 By End-user Industry
4.2.2 Aerospace and Defense
4.2.4 Construction and Architecture
4.2.5 Other End-user Industries
4.3 By Geography
4.3.1 North America
4.3.3 Asia Pacific
4.3.4 Latin America
4.3.5 Middle East and Africa
5. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
5.1 Company Profiles
5.1.1 3D Systems, Inc.
5.1.2 Arkema Group
5.1.3 CRP Technology S.r.l.
5.1.4 EnvisionTEC Inc.
5.1.5 EOS GmbH Electro Optical Systems
5.1.6 General Electric Company
5.1.7 Hoganas AB
5.1.8 LPW Technology, Ltd
5.1.9 Royal DSM N.V.
5.1.10 Sandvik AB
5.1.12 Stratasys Ltd
5.1.13 Ultimaker B.V.
- *List Not Exhaustive
6. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
7. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
3D Printing Materials & Services Market Research FAQs
What is the current 3D Printing Materials and Services Market size?
The 3D Printing Materials and Services Market is projected to register a CAGR of 23% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in 3D Printing Materials and Services Market?
Ultimaker BV, Arkema, 3D Systems, Inc., Höganäs AB and Covestro AG are the major companies operating in the 3D Printing Materials and Services Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in 3D Printing Materials and Services Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in 3D Printing Materials and Services Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the 3D Printing Materials and Services Market.
3D Printing Materials and Services Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 3D Printing Materials and Services market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. 3D Printing Materials and Services analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.