|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The United States online gambling market was valued at USD 1,978.57 million in 2020, and it is is projected to register a CAGR of 17.32% during the forecast period, 2021-2026.
- The COVID-19 pandemic had a major impact on the gambling industry on an international level, including the United States. This led to the closure of casinos, lottery outlets, and gambling venues (i.e., gambling lounges, bars, breweries, hotels, bingo halls, horse racing) and to the suspension of sporting events for which betting systems were in place.
- As a result, the market has witnessed migration from offline to online gambling activities. In response to the closure of many gambling establishments, several operators have gone digital. Many players have expanded their online gambling offerings, and bingo operators have moved their offerings online, which has positively impacted the market.
- With more states introducing regulations, online gambling in the country is expected to increase, with the higher number of downloads of various online casino games, and it may add more revenue streams in the overall online gambling market. After the imminent launch of internet gambling in 2019 in the state of Pennsylvania, companies are forming partnerships to handle the spur in the demand for these online casino platforms and provide consumers with a better online casino experience.
- New Jersey is currently the largest market for regulated online gambling in the United States. Over a dozen legal and licensed online casino sites and poker rooms compete for an overall market that is worth more than USD 225 million a year. There are a number of sportsbooks and online sports betting apps live in the state.
- As per the data released by the Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE), in June 2019, the revenues from the top three online casinos in New Jersey were as follows: The Golden Nugget/Betfair accounted for USD 13.6 million, the Resorts AC recorded USD 6.39 million revenue, and Borgata/Party earned a revenue of USD 5.66 million.
Scope of the Report
Online gambling (or Internet gambling) is any kind of gambling conducted on the internet. The United States online gambling market is segmented by game type into sports betting, casino and other game types. The casino is further segmented into the live casino, slots, baccarat, blackjack, poker and other casino games. There are two end-users in online gambling which includes desktop and mobile. The market is thoroughly studied for different American states such as New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Michigan, and the Rest of the United States.
|By Game Type|
|Other Game Types|
|By End Use|
|Rest of the United States|
Key Market Trends
Live Casino Gaining Momentum in The Country
The live casino market is still at a nascent stage in the country, owing to its stringent regulations. However, software providers, like Ezugi and Evolution Gaming, have been granted licenses to provide their live dealer games in New Jersey. Thus, global players are investing significantly and entering into this market, in order to broaden their geographical presence and customer base. For instance, in January 2018, Evolution Gaming opened its first live casino studio in Vancouver. The New Jersey studio offers ten tables of various games, including American Roulette, Blackjack, Baccarat, and Slingshot Roulette.
Moreover, Evolution Gaming signed contracts with several licensed operators, such as Ocean Resort Casino, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Atlantic City, 888casino, and PokerStars Casino New Jersey. Apart from key players, software providers are also embarking on mergers and acquisitions as one of their key strategies to achieve consolidation and optimize their offerings. For instance, in January 2019, Evolution gaming acquired live dealer gaming provider Ezugi. Ignition Casino, BetOnline, MyBookie, Bovada, 5Dimes, and The BoVegas Casino are some of the prominent players offering live casino games across the country.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Pennsylvania is The Fastest Growing Market
Pennsylvania is the fourth and biggest state to legalize and regulate online gambling. The new law allows for online casinos, online poker, sports betting, and more. Casino gaming (including slots and casino table games, such as roulette and blackjack), poker, sports/horse race betting, and fantasy betting are regulated by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, whereas lotteries are regulated by the Pennsylvania Lottery. Also, as per the data published by the American Gaming Association, the total gross gaming revenue of Pennsylvania casinos amounted to approximately USD 3226.92 million in 2017, which was the second-highest after Nevada. Therefore, regulation of online casinos in the state is expected to increase the number of downloads of various online casino games and add more revenues to the overall online gambling market. After the imminent launch of internet gambling in 2019 in the state of Pennsylvania, the companies are forming partnerships, to handle the spur of demand for these online casino platforms and provide consumers with a better online casino-playing experience. <However, the tax rates for online gambling in Pennsylvania are high. There are three distinct tax rates for online games, namely, slots (54%), table games (34%), and poker (16%).
The United States gambling market is a highly fragmented market and comprises regional and global players such as 888 Holdings PLC, William Hill PLC, Caesars Entertainment Corporation and others. Major players are focusing on mergers and acquisitions to expand their presence in the country and to enhance their brand portfolio to cater to various preferences of the consumers. For instance, in 2019, The Stars Group Inc. (a subsidiary of Flutter Entertainment PLC) announced that it had entered an agreement with the Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort for betting and gaming market access, and certain retail sports betting operations in the State of New York.
The key players are also entering into partnerships/agreements to enhance their offerings. Moreover, these players are also focusing to launch their offering in the new potential markets. For instance, in 2018, 888 Holdings PLC launched a new portfolio of live dealer casino games in New Jersey, as part of the continued expansion of its business in the Garden State.
Flutter Entertainment PLC is one of the most active companies with numerous brand offerings and a broad range of casino games. The company invests considerably in continuous expansion through strategic mergers and acquisitions.
- In May 2020, Flutter Entertainment announced the completion of its acquisition of and merger with The Stars Group.
- In July 2018, Paddy Power Betfair merged its US business with the fantasy sports company, FanDuel, with a 61% stake in the company, to target the US sports betting market.
MGM Resorts International, another active company in the United States, has been involved in product innovation and partnerships, to expand its market share.
- In December 2020, MGM announced the launch of its BetMGM Casino in Pennsylvania, bringing the digital gaming company's exclusive portfolio of online slots and table games to players in the state.
In July 2018, Paddy Power Betfair merged its US business with the fantasy sports company, FanDuel, with a 61% stake in the company, to target the US sports betting marketand develop user-friendly casino gaming with innovative features.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Game Type
5.1.1 Sports Betting
18.104.22.168 Live Casino
22.214.171.124 Other Casino Games
5.1.3 Other Game Types
5.2 By End Use
5.3.1 New Jersey
5.3.5 Rest of the United States
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Most Active Companies
6.2 Most Adopted Strategies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 William Hill PLC
6.4.2 MGM Resorts International (Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa)
6.4.3 Flutter Entertainment PLC
6.4.4 Caesars Entertainment Corporation
6.4.5 Wild Casino
6.4.6 El Royale Casino
6.4.8 888 Holding PLC
6.4.9 Slots Empire Casino
6.4.10 Golden Nugget Hotels and Casinos
6.4.11 Bet 365
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
8. IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The United States Online Gambling Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of United States Online Gambling Market?
The United States Online Gambling Market is growing at a CAGR of 17.32% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in United States Online Gambling Market?
888 Holding PLC, William Hill PLC, Caesars Entertainment Corporation, MGM Resorts International , Cherry Gold Casino are the major companies operating in United States Online Gambling Market.