The South American polymer emulsion market is expected to register a moderate CAGR during the forecasted period, 2018-2023. The market is majorly driven by stringent government regulations regarding emissions. However, the availability of substitutes, such as high solid coatings and powder coatings are hindering the market.
Strict Government Regulations Driving the Market
Emulsion polymerization produces polymers with high molecular weight and very little viscosity which reduces VOCs emission. Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) are the major problem of environmental concerns, therefore governments are enacting stringent policies to either curtail or completely ban them which is driving the market. In Brazil, the government has cooperated with EPA which has resulted in intensifying the regulations on environment degradation which are resulting in production of low VOC paints.
Acrylic Emulsion - the Fastest Growing Segment
Based on product type, acrylic emulsion has a highest share and is expected to be the fastest growing segment, due to the recovering end-user industries like construction and automotive. This was because of rapid urbanization in countries, like Brazil and Colombia, which has resulted in growing population, rising disposable income, and the increasing residential houses, thereby driving the demand for acrylic emulsion. In Brazil, the government is planning to resume about 7,000 construction projects with an investment of BRL 131 billion. With programs like ‘My House, My Life’, the government is planning to provide affordable housing.
Colombia - a Potential Market
Brazil has the largest share in the South American region, however, Colombia has been witnessing a consistent growth over the period, and depicts huge potential market opportunities in the industry. This is because of the recovering construction sector which is in response to the rising consumer spending and growing investment by the foreign companies in infrastructure sector. In Colombia, the expansion of roads, airport, and ports, along with growing 4G contracts, which are based on the Public Private Partnership (PPP) law with US companies, is increasing the foreign investments in infrastructure sector. Therefore this growing infrastructure in Colombia is expected to drive the studied market in this region during the forecasted period.
- November 2016: Sumitomo Chemical had announced the opening of Latin America Research Center (LARC) in Brazil. LARC, Sumitomo Chemical Group’s first research and development base in Latin America, is operated by Sumitomo Chemical Brazil, the Company’s wholly owned subsidiary.
Major Players: 3M, Akzo Nobel NV, Arkema SA, BASF SE, Clariant AG, DowDuPont, Synthomer PLC, and Wacker Chemie AG among others.
Reason to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The type of product and application expected to dominate the market
- Countries expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Scope of the Report
1.2 Research Phases
1.3 Study Deliverables
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Insights
3.1 Industry Value Chain Analysis
3.2 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Force Analysis
3.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.2.5 Degree of Competition within the Industry
3.3 Raw Material Analysis
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Strict government regulations regarding VOCs
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Availability of substitutes
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3.1 Increasing Awareness about Bio-based Polymer Emulsion
4.3.2 Increasing Awareness toward Water-Based Acrylic Dispersion for Anticorrosive Coatings
4.3.3 Other Opportunities
5. Market Segmentation and Analysis (Market size, Growth, and Forecast)
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.2 Polyurethane (PU) Dispersions
5.1.3 Styrene Butadiene (SB) Latex
5.1.4 Vinyl Acetate
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 Adhesives & Carpet Backing
5.2.2 Paper & Paperboard Coatings
5.2.3 Paints & Coatings
5.3 By End-user Industry
5.3.1 Building & Construction
6. Regional Market Analysis (Market size, Growth, and Forecast)
6.6 Rest of South America
7. Future of the Market
8. Competitive Landscape
8.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
8.2 Market Share Analysis
8.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
9. Company Profiles (Overview, Financials**, Products & services, Recent Developments)
9.2 Akzo Nobel NV
9.3 Arkema SA
9.4 BASF SE
9.5 Clariant AG
9.6 Cytec Industries Inc
9.7 DIC Corp
9.9 Reichhold Inc
9.10 Sumitomo Chemical
9.11 Synthomer plc
9.12 Wacker Chemie AG
*List not exhaustive
**Subject to feasibility and availability on Public Domains