Self-Service Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Market Size (2024)
|USD 38.22 Billion
|Market Size (2029)
|USD 55.62 Billion
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Self-Service Market Analysis
The Self-Service Market size is estimated at USD 38.22 billion in 2024, and is expected to reach USD 55.62 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 7.79% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
Self-service technology has been around for ages with ATMs and pay-at-the-pump gas station terminals. In the present world, self-service is woven into the fabric of consumerism and is becoming an essential part of many verticals' paths to digital transformation. In Japan, where every 23rd person on the street is provided with self service assistance in the form of a convenience store, kiosk or ATM, demand for these services does not seem to be decreasing.
- In particular, given hygienic reasons and the speed of delivery, consumers prefer to use self service technology instead of human interaction. The pandemic's changing the face of selfservice in manufacturing, health care and ancillary industries, with a profound impact on consumer and business behavior. Despite the short-term social lockdown impact, the increase in demand for groceries, general merchandise, medical supplies, and home improvement among shoppers forced businesses to adopt self-assisted technologies for promoting social distancing and contact-free and cashless technologies.
- The increase in automated and self-service devices, wireless connectivity, technological advancements, and remote administration are the key factors impacting the need for self-service technology. Furthermore, One of the reasons for this shift is a persistent labour shortage that affects several sectors, in particular retailers, restaurants and hotels. A number of operators cannot find sufficient staff to cope with the demand because of such a tight labour market. This meant that in order to attract workers, small and medium sized enterprises had to raise wages. This has resulted in an increase of the trend for kiosks.
- The automatic vending machine system is another significant segment of the market. These are mostly used in retail stores or big-scale enterprises wherein the system is used for dispensing food, beverages, or any other product suitable to the system. Vending machines are expected to witness a more comprehensive implementation, owing to language barriers in countries such as Singapore and Malaysia, with a high tourism rates.
- The growth of this market is hampered by security concerns and high costs related to the installation and maintenance of designs. The increasing cyber-attacks worldwide and vulnerabilities in the existing network result in user concerns. Given security concerns and the risk of data loss, a large number of users are now doubtful about using these systems.
- However, the demand for vending machines is likely to fall as several retail chains temporarily closed their stores and a larger customer base moved towards online channels due to the onset of COVID-19 pandemic. For instance, according to company reports, due to the lack of business on the high street caused by the coronavirus epidemic, Arcadia Group, whose brands include Topshop and Dorothy Perkins or Miss Selfridge, could be forced to temporarily shut down some shops.
Self-Service Market Trends
Automated Teller Machine (ATM) to Witness the Growth
- One of the main drivers for this market's growth is an increasing trend towards ATM adoption in banking sectors and elsewhere. The demand for ATMs is growing rapidly as the population grows and banking services become more widely accepted by citizens. The growth of this market is being supported by significant investments in the sector to provide reliable ATM and kiosk systems.
- This is due to the increasing trend of automation and technological advancement. Lower operating costs and the need for development in rural areas are expected to support market growth over the coming years.
- In order to achieve an higher profits margins and provide customers with more convenience in their payment transactions, banks continue to concentrate on lowering operational costs. As a result, they rely on automatic teller machines to perform the essential functions such as fund transfers, account balance enquiries and payment of bills.
- Moroever, The number of ATMs under the National Financial Switch (NFS) network amounted to over 266 thousand as of June 2023. The NFS is India's largest network of ATMs with nearly 1,200 affiliated members and over 300 million transactions.
- Moroever, In order to extend their ATM network across new geographical areas, banks are increasing the number of ATMs. In addition, the need for advanced self service technologies is growing as digitisation increases, more people adopt enterprise mobility solutions and workers are increasingly provided with timely support. In order to facilitate business operations and increase overall performance, this is expected to lead to an increase in the industry's spending on purchasing effective servers, networking technologies and storage systems.
Asia-Pacific to be the Fastest Growing Region
- Due to the increasing adoption of self service technologies by large organisations and SMEs in order to expand their presence and provide more services, During the forecast period, Asia Pacific is projected to develop at a rapid pace. Moreover, increasing consumer purchasing power and better awareness of the country are also supporting the market like India, China or Japan.
- According to IATA, total traffic in April 2023 in RPKs rose 45.8% compared to April 2022, with Asia-Pacific registering the highest share of 170.8% RPK. Airlines such as Vistara, Indigo and Air India introduced selfcheck kiosks to meet the growing number of passengers from their home countries. Demand for these kiosks is also expected to rise as the number of passengers increases every year.
- In addition, the retail sector in India continues to grow and is experiencing positive sales trends recently. According to Reliance Retails, India's retailing market is growing at one of the highest rates in the world and will be worth two trillion dollars by 2032. Also, economic expansion, shifting demography, increasing disposable income, urbanization, and evolving consumer tastes and preferences thus are positively impacting the studied market.
- Further, the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic was the demand for kiosks in food chains is expected to be increased. For instance, Westlife Development, McDonald's owns and operates restaurants in West and South India, which will open with increased security standards due to the pandemic by installing self ordering terminals for its customers.
Self-Service Industry Overview
The self-service market is highly fragmented due to increased demand for self-service in kiosks, vending machines, and ATMs. The rising demand from the consumer is making the market attractive for companies. Stiff competition among the players to cater to the people's needs with minimal cost magnifies the market. Some key players in the market are KIOSK Information Systems Inc., NCR Corporation, Zebra Technologies., Advanced Kiosks., and ProtouchUK, among others.
- November 2023 - MTN Benin, a subsidiary of the MTN Group, has transformed its customer experience by introducing SEDCO's self-service kiosks across its four branches in collaboration with its strategic partner Quality Corporate in Benin. Advanced self service machines now provide customers with 24 hours SIM dispensing, cash in and out transactions, activation of telecom bundles at all times. In order to ensure a seamless experience at all times, customers will be able to access essential telecommunications services in their comfort.
- August 2023 - NCR Corporation In order to provide customers with easy access and cash deposits in trusted retail outlets across the country, USD 6.6 billion asset First Bank has joined NCR's Allpoint Network. NCR also enabled First Bank to bring more selfservice options to First Bank's customers, the bank is upgrading its branches by adding almost 200 interactive teller machines operated byNCR Interactive Teller Machines.
- June 2023 - Retail technology provider 365 Retail Markets announced the launch of MM6 for Markets, its latest kiosk designed to enhance the self-service consumer experience. The countertop kiosk features a 22-inch touchscreen and diverse payment options, making it the right fit for customers in high-touch, high-traffic micro-market locations.
Self-Service Market Leaders
HESS Cash systems GmbH & Co.
Crane Co. (USA)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Self-Service Market News
- In Januray 2024 - NCR Corporation announced the launch of its Next Generation Self-Checkout Solution NCR Voyix commerce platform, WHere the NCR Voyix Next Generation Self-Checkout Solution is a significant evolution in the checkout experience for retailers and shoppers alike. It caters to changing shopper journeys, drives inclusion of demographics and payments, and provides an agile, modern software-as-a-service (SaaS) technology stack with a flexible, fabric-like hardware approach.
- In June 2023 - Gem OpenCube technologies pvt ltd designed the World's 1st Water, Tea, and Coffee (WTC) Automatic vending machine. As an automatic Tea shop at the street corner, these machines are fully automated Water, Tea, Coffee, and biscuit dispensing machines working 24/7 without human intervention.
Self-Service Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Deliverables
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. Market DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing emphasis on ensuring customer satisfaction to drive demand in the Retail & Food sector
5.1.2 High investments in the infrastructure developments (new & refurbishments) and smart city initiatives
5.1.3 Technological investments to enable greater support for the differently abled populace & new users
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Cost and maintenance remains a key consideration
6. MAJOR TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS
6.1 Evolution of Self-Service Kiosks
6.2 Key technological & design developments Barrier-Free Kiosks(Major working groups & standard agencies lending support in Europe & the US) | major features provided by the key self-service kiosk manufacturers
6.3 Major case studies & use-cases related to Self-Service Kiosks(McDonalds, Wendys, etc.) | Key end-user surveys cited by major vendors
7. MARKET SEGMENTATION
7.1.3 Vending Machine
7.2.2 Retail & Fast Food Chain
7.2.5 Travel & Transportation
7.2.6 Other End-users
7.3.1 North America
7.3.4 South America
7.3.5 Middle East and Africa
8. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
8.1 Company Profiles
8.1.1 NCR Corporation
8.1.2 HESS Cash systems GmbH & Co.
8.1.3 Crane Co. (USA)
8.1.4 Fujitsu Ltd.
8.1.5 Advanced Kiosks
8.1.6 Zebra Technologies
8.1.7 Frank Mayer & Associates, Inc.
8.1.8 Advantech Co. Limited
8.1.9 Diebold Nixdorf
8.1.10 IER Group
8.1.13 Azkoyen Group
- *List Not Exhaustive
9. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
10. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Self-Service Market Research FAQs
How big is the Self-Service Market?
The Self-Service Market size is expected to reach USD 38.22 billion in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 7.79% to reach USD 55.62 billion by 2029.
What is the current Self-Service Market size?
In 2024, the Self-Service Market size is expected to reach USD 38.22 billion.
Who are the key players in Self-Service Market?
NCR Corporation, HESS Cash systems GmbH & Co., Crane Co. (USA), Fujitsu Ltd. and Advanced Kiosks are the major companies operating in the Self-Service Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Self-Service Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Self-Service Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Self-Service Market.
What years does this Self-Service Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Self-Service Market size was estimated at USD 35.24 billion. The report covers the Self-Service Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Self-Service Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Self-Service Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Self-Service market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Self-Service analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.