The Thailand seed sector was valued at approximately USD 565 million in the year 2015, and is estimated to grow at a CAGR of around 11.5% during the forecast period. The Thai Seed Trade Association (THASTA) established in 2002, and Seed Association of Thailand (SAT) play a significant role in the Thai seed industry. In 2017, a partnership was established between East-West Seed Company and the Thai government to invest in R&D activities for the development of new varieties of quality seeds and cultivars for producing quality output.
Thailand Seed Sector - Attractive Hub for Seed Production
The favorable factors making Thailand an attractive hub for seed production are good climate, which ensures seed production all year, skilled farmers, and excellent connectivity. As of 2015, there were 184 seed companies in Thailand, out of which only 34 seed companies had seed research and development units. By 2020, Thailand seed sector envisages to produce good quality of rice, leguminous crops, and forage crop seeds, to meet the global demand and to increase its export value through export of Thai developed varieties. Thailand is the second biggest exporter and it exports its vegetable seeds to India, Vietnam, and China. Outside Asia, the main importers of Thai vegetable seeds are the United States, Netherlands, and France. Majority of Thai corn seed is exported to Vietnam, followed by Myanmar, Pakistan, Indonesia and Sri Lanka.
Analysis of Seed Sector Policies and Regulations
The Eleventh National Development Plan (2012—2016) encourages smart farmer programs, where modern and efficient farming practices are adopted. The main aim of the plan includes the standardization of food products and increasing the efficiency of agricultural production in the country. The production policy, a part of this plan, deals with the promotion of quality management system, focused on the goal of achieving high-quality agricultural produce. Similarly, the price intervention policies allow provisions, such as agricultural crop insurance, revenue assurance measure for farmers, and pledging programs. Under the pledging program, participants pledge the crops with the government and opt to sell the crops later for a higher price. The pledging schemes are introduced from time to time for crops, such as cassava, maize, garlic, and rice.
Maize Dominates the Seed Sector
Maize is an important agricultural product in Thailand, owing to its significant impact on the food industry and its vital role as an input in the poultry industry. In the Northeast, maize is often grown on rubber plantations and competes for space with rubber production. As rubber trees grow large, the area available for maize cultivation decreases. The recent agricultural policy related to maize was income guarantee scheme versus pledging scheme. Government played a vital role in the early phases of improvement of the maize seed industry. The success of the maize seed industry in Thailand is significantly due to government’s promotion of maize as an alternative crop. Public-private partnership (PPP) and the competition, and cooperation among industry stakeholders make maize seed, in Thailand, one of the most developed seed industries in the developing world. Large multinational companies, namely Charoen Pokphand, Monsanto, Pacific Seeds, Pioneer Hi-Bred, and Syngenta, contribute to a great deal of progressive development of hybrid maize and sweet corn research.
Key Developments in the Market
- January 2018: In order to deliver quality genetics at a faster rate to the farmers to create a more sustainable and profitable profession that helps to feed this ever evolving population, HM.CLAUSE inaugurated its new Research and Development Station in Khon Kaen, North East of Thailand.
- February 2018: East West Seed Company used CRISPR genetic technology to reduce seed production prices by a factor of 10.
Major Key Players: Monsanto Thailand Ltd, Chia Tai Co. Ltd, Syngenta Thailand, Pacific Seeds (Thai) Ltd, Pioneer Hi-Bred (Thailand) Co. Ltd, East-West Seed (Thailand) Co. Ltd, among others.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- To understand the growth trends of the Thailand seed market. Growth forecast is provided for period 2018–2023. These information are crucial in identifying prospective markets with greater growth potential
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of market dynamics
- To understand the crops that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Market Definition
1.2 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Scope and Methodology
2.1 Study Deliverables
2.2 Market Segmentation
2.3 Study Assumptions
2.4 Research Methodology
2.5 Research Phases
3. Seed Sector Overview
4. Policies and Regulatory environment
5. Market Dynamics
5.1.1 Availability of Highly Trained Plant Scientists
5.1.2 Investment from Foreign Governments and Multinational Companies and Agencies
5.1.3 Technological Innovations in Agriculture
5.2.1 Low Production Efficiency of Crops
5.2.2 Short Land Tenure for Crop Cultivation
5.2.3 Lack of Marketing Initiatives and Low Farm Prices
5.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
5.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
5.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
5.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
5.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
5.3.5 Degree of Competition
6. Key Crops Under Cultivation (Overview, Area harvested and Production)
6.5 Chilli and Pepper, Dry
6.6 Cucumber and Gherkin
6.8 Sesame Seed
6.10 Seed Cotton
7. Market Segmentation
7.1 By Crop type
7.1.1 Grains and Cereals
8. Competitive Landscape
9. Company Profiles
9.1 Monsanto Thailand Ltd.
9.2 Chia Tai Co. Ltd
9.3 Syngenta Thailand
9.4 Pacific Seeds (Thai) Ltd.
9.5 Pioneer Hi-Bred (Thailand) Co. Ltd.
9.6 East-West Seed (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
9.7 Known-You Seed (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
9.8 Namdhari Seeds (Thailand) Co., Ltd
9.9 Lion Seeds Co., Ltd.
9.10 Advance Seeds Co., Ltd.
9.11 Siam Hi-Tech Seed