|Study Period:||2018 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Photonic Sensors market was valued at USD 13.25 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 26.65 billion by 2026, at a CAGR of 16.93% over the forecast period (2021 - 2026). Physical properties, like reflectance/transmittance, superior levels of sensitivity resulting in precise detection limits, coupled with the sparkling visual quality displayed in the visible range of wavelengths, boosted the significance of photonic sensors in the recent years.
- The advent of and move toward the Industry 4.0 revolution, which is becoming one of the defining themes of the current era, promising the combination of connectivity, flexibility, artificial intelligence, and speed required to deliver next-level industrial productivity, are significantly influencing the market.
- From high-speed optical data links to the versatility of processing of laser materials, and the feedback and intelligent decision-making, made possible by machine vision systems and optical sensors, the smart factories of the near future will also drive the future of photonics.
- Regionally, North America is expected to account for a significant portion of the market demand, owing to the photonics developments in the United States. Recently, the newly funded, American Institute for Manufacturing Integrated Photonics (AIM Photonics) formed the central hub of a USD 610 million public-private effort to advance photonics manufacturing capability in the United States. Thus, the market for photonics in the region is expected to flourish over the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
The photonic sensor is a device that senses light and converts it to an electric signal. The photonic sensing technology integrates emission of light, detection, transmission by fiber optics, optical components. Photonic sensors are used in many applications, such as lidar, ladar, laser induced fluorescence (LIF), calorimetry, scintillation detection, spectroscopy, biological fluorescence detection, and others.
|By Product Type|
|Fiber Optic Sensors|
|Other Product Types|
|Aerospace and Defense|
|Energy and Power|
|Middle East & Africa|
Key Market Trends
Energy and Power to hold Significant Share
- Optical and photonic sensors are specifically used in three very different applications relating to energy harvesting and the production of power, namely solar thermal and PV systems, the oil and gas industry, and wind turbines.
- Electricity generation from wind energy is rapidly growing in the United States and worldwide, and could provide at least 20% of the nation’s electricity by 2030. This trend is driving the need for larger multi-megawatt turbines, for onshore and offshore utility-scale operation, with rotor diameters well exceeding 100 to 120 m.
- As wind turbines increase in size and capital cost, there is a growing need to incorporate early-warning wind shear measurements and turbine structural health monitoring to optimize the design, operation, and maintenance of the wind turbine and to protect it against dangerous wind gusts.
- Also, the oil and gas industry is constantly taking measurements under extreme temperatures and pressures. Additionally, the development and exploitation of oil and gas resources in increasingly difficult operating environments, including deep seawater, raises many technical challenges. Real-time, permanent wellbore, and reservoir monitoring is a critical technology for assuring safety and maximizing the profitability of these fields.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Witness Highest Growth
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to witness the highest growth rate over the forecast period. Growth in the region is fueled by increasing defense/military spending in China and India, and the industrial automation trend in these nations.
- For instance, the Government of China offers substantial military budgets for the incorporation of modern technology, owing to reforms by the Chinese communist party. According to SIPRI, Indian military spending, in 2017, was USD 63.9 billion.
- Countries, such as Korea and China, have recorded the most growth in photonics and lasers in recent years. This is due to the major shift in manufacturing in this region, especially these countries. Automotive, consumer electronics, and industrial manufacturing have been in particular among the faster-growing market sectors.
- In addition, photonics and lasers are witnessing significant growth in Asia-Pacific, primarily due to faster economic growth, and increased usage of lasers for manufacturing.
- Moreover, the demand for fiber optic sensors from the APAC countries will fuel the market’s growth in the region. According to the Fiber Optic Sensing Association (FOSA), China is leading the way, accounting for just over 11% of listed deployments of distributed fiber-optic sensing devices.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Companies are undertaking acquisitions, expansions, and product launches as notable measures to excel in the photonic sensor market. Industry participants are shifting their focus toward the development of eco-efficient products for better sustainability in the market.
- June 2018: Omron announced the construction of the second factory of OMRON (Shanghai) Co. Ltd., in the city of Shanghai, China, to ramp up the capacity of various types of control equipment and thereby, meet the voracious demands for automation on factory floors in the country.
- May 2018: Hamamatsu Photonics announced the construction of a new factory at the main factory site to meet growing sales demand for its opto-semiconductor module products.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growing Automation Demand in Manufacturing Industry
4.2.2 Increasing Requirement for Security and Safety
4.2.3 Increasing Investment in Fiber Optic Communications
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Lack of Industry Standards
4.3.2 High Initial Cost
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.1 Fiber Optic Sensors
5.1.2 Image Sensors
5.1.3 Biophotonic Sensors
5.1.4 Other Product Types
5.2 By Industry
5.2.1 Aerospace and Defense
5.2.5 Energy and Power
5.2.6 Other Industries
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Banner Engineering Corp.
6.1.2 Baumer Holding AG
6.1.3 STMicroelectronics NV
6.1.5 Omron Corporation
6.1.6 Sick AG
6.1.7 Keyence Corporation
6.1.8 Pepperl+Fuchs GmbH
6.1.9 Rockwell Automation
6.1.10 Autonics Corporation
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Photonic Sensors Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Photonic Sensors Market?
The Photonic Sensors Market is growing at a CAGR of 16.93% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Photonic Sensors Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Photonic Sensors Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Photonic Sensors Market?
Omron Corporation, Banner Engineering Corp., Baumer Holding AG, Datalogic S.p.A., SICK Inc. are the major companies operating in Photonic Sensors Market.