Smart glasses are special types of glasses, which can change from being clear to translucent or even pellucid to opaque. It is primarily used to block light, heat and glare. This technology is very helpful to reduce the cost of lighting, air conditioning, curtains blinding or heating of the room.
North America has a huge market for the smart glass industry and is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 20.33% to reach USD 1.88 billion by the end of 2021, from the current estimates of USD 0.75 billion in 2016. There are two types of smart glasses: active type and passive type. The active type of smart glass responds to the electrical stimulus to make the glass, while the passive type is triggered by light or heat. Active glasses are used in sectors like architecture, healthcare, and automotive, etc. This type of smart glass uses the technologies like Suspended Particle Devices (SPDs), electrochromic devices among others. Boeing 787 Dreamliner uses smart glass so that the passengers and the in-flight crew can select the amount of sunlight coming through, to their liking. Architects use this type of glass to reduce the energy consumption of the building.
In the recent years, several offices, hotels and residential homes have the smart glass installed in their premises. With more and more companies getting involved in the smart glass market in North America, the market is heating up. This is doing some good for the consumer as they will have a variety of options to choose from.
The main driver for this market is the growing consciousness among individuals, for the conservation of energy. In this day and age, energy conservation has gained a lot of impetus from a wide region of sources. Humans, for several centuries, have exploited the non-renewable resources which, in turn, has led to the depletion of these precious fossil fuels. This major concern helps smart glass to obtain a huge market for themselves, as they help in saving electricity, without harming the environment or its resources. Contrastingly, the major constraint for the smart glass industry is its high expenses compared to the normal glass. Additionally, lack of awareness of smart glass benefits and existence of technical issues with the usage of large size smart glass are some of the key impediments hindering the growth of the market.
The North America smart glass market has been broadly segmented into different technologies (suspended particle devices, liquid crystals, electrochromic glass, passive smart glass, active smart glass and others) and applications such as construction (residential buildings and commercial buildings), transportation (aerospace, rail, automotive and others), energy, consumer electronics and others.
Construction industry held the largest market share in the North America smart glass market in 2015 owing to increasing demand of smart glasses in architecture an improving real estate market in the region. The North American market has also been geographically segmented into the United States and Canada.
Some of the companies mentioned in the report are Scienstry Inc., Saint-Gobain, Hitachi, Nippon, Asahi Glass and Gentex Corporation.
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Market analysis for the North America smart glass market, with country-specific assessments and competition analysis on North America and country scale.
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenario, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a country scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market share.
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the North America smart glass market on a country scale.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- A wide-ranging knowledge and insights about the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
- Insights into the major countries in which this industry is growing and also identify the regions that are still untapped.
1. Key Findings of the Study
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Overview
3.2 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
3.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
3.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.3.4 Threat of Substitute Component and Services
3.3.5 Competitive Rivalry within the Industry
3.4 Industry Policies
4. Market Dynamics
4.2.1 Focus on Energy Conservation and Environment Friendly
4.2.2 Government Regulations
4.2.3 Energy Savings
4.3.1 Lack of Awareness of Smart Glass Benefits
4.3.2 There are Some Technical Issues with the Usage of Large Size Smart Glass
5. Technology Overview
5.1 Technology Snapshot
5.2 Types of Smart Glass Technologies
5.3 Ongoing Developments
5.4 Applications of Smart Glass in Industry Applications
6. Smart Glass Market by Technology
6.1 Suspended Particle Devices
6.2 Liquid Crystals
6.3 Electro-chromic Glass
6.4 Passive Smart glass
6.5 Active Smart glass
7. North America Smart Glass Market by Applications
7.1.1 Residential Buildings
7.1.2 Commercial Buildings
7.4 Consumer Electronics
8. North America Smart Glass Market by Country
8.1 United States
9. Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
9.2 PPG Industries
9.3 Scienstry Inc.
9.5 Pulp Studio
9.8 Smartglass International
9.9 Pro Display
9.10 Gentex Corporation
9.11 Hitachi Chemical
9.12 LTI Smart Glass
9.14 Asahi Glass Corporation
9.15 View, Inc.
10. Investment Analysis
10.1 Recent Mergers and Acquisitions
10.2 Role of Business Accelerators
10.3 Investment Outlook
11. Future of North America Smart Glass Market