The North America proximity sensor market was valued at USD 1.42 billion in 2017, and is expected to reach a value of USD 2.15 billion by 2023, at a CAGR of 7.17% over the forecast period (2018 - 2023). The scope of the report includes technologies, like inductive, capacitive, and photoelectric, and is limited to end users, like aerospace & defense, industrial, automotive, and marine. The countries considered in the scope of the report include the United States and Canada.
Growth in Industrial Automation - One of the Major Drivers of the Market
The industrial automation segment has been emerging to be a relatively more attractive space for investment by organizations across the globe. The dependence on robots in industrial controller mechanisms is an established trend, paving the way for a larger and wider adoption of the industrial control and automation equipment. However, limitations in sensing capabilities and availability of other sensors at a lower cost might hinder the growth of the market.
Automotive Industry to Have the Highest Market Share during the Forecast Period
The automotive industry in the region is flourishing due to the advent of self-driving cars, and increasing demand for advanced and better vehicles, like SUVs and pickup trucks. The United States is the dominant country in the region, owing to the presence of major industries, established car manufacturers, a booming healthcare industry, etc. From an automotive point of view, the United States houses major players, like General Motors and Ford, while also having manufacturing plants of other manufacturers, like Hyundai and Kia. Around 14.5 million automobiles were sold in North America. In the near future, large area proximity sensing may influence the market growth.
Inductive Proximity Has a Major Market Share Among Other Sensors
The inductive proximity sensors are expected to be a cost-effective and reliable solution for most of the applications in automation equipment and machinery. These sensors are not influenced by vibrations, water, oil, and dust, which makes them suitable for harsh environments. The major applications of these sensors include, machine tools, agriculture, and material handling systems. Inductive sensors play a critical role in obtaining quality and higher productivity from the automated process. As these sensors have no moving parts, their service life is independent of the number of operation cycles.
Inductive proximity sensors are used majorly in the industrial and automotive segments. These sensors are set to witness an increased growth rate in these industries as they are cheaper and efficient, and industries, like the automotive, require such technologies to match the growing consumer demand. In the industrial segment, the harsh environmental resistance, robust nature, and extreme reliability are expected to witness an increased adoption rate for many applications. However, these sensors can only detect metal objects, limiting their functionality in other industries that do not make use of metal, and this can affect the growth of the North America proximity sensor market.
North America houses some of the world’s most-established automobile manufacturers, like General Motors and Ford, who rely on cutting edge technology to deliver the best driving experience to consumers. This involves integrating the latest technological advancements with the automobiles being manufactured, and proximity sensor is one major technology that is being used for parking sensors, gesture recognition to make phone calls, etc.
As consumer demand for safety rises (coupled with technological advancements and development of smart cars), the adoption of proximity sensors is also set to witness a significant rise, boosting the growth of the North America proximity sensor market.
Key Developments in the Market
- August 2017: Honeywell announced the launch of proximity sensors for aircraft. Honeywell has launched a new series of self-diagnosing sensors designed to improve the performance of aircraft systems and reduce maintenance costs by helping to eliminate false readings. Integral health monitoring (IHM) proximity sensors, which detect when a sensor has been damaged or otherwise affected, can be integrated into an aircraft’s thrust reverser actuation system, flight controls, doors, and landing gear, among others.
- May 2017: Turck announced its new range of 8 mm barrel inductive proximity sensors. The technology of the ferrite core sensors has evolved, increasing the sensing range by up to 50%. As a result, flush mounted solutions can now be offered with an extended sensing range of 3 mm, as well as with the conventional sensing range of 2 mm. The non-flush sensors are likewise available with a 3 or 5 mm sensing range. Turck is also now able to produce devices with an ultra-short 15 mm design.
Major Players: General Electric, Eaton Corporation PLC, Rockwell Automation, Inc., Omron Corporation, Panasonic Corporation, NXP Semiconductors N.V., Balluff GmbH, Honeywell International Inc., and Turck, Inc. among others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analysis of how the growing industrial automation act as a driver to the global market scenario
- Analysis of various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The solutions and type of security that are expected to dominate the market
- The regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Key Study Deliverables
1.2 Key Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growing Industrial automation
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Porter’s Five Forces Model – Industry Attractiveness
5. North America Proximity Sensor Market Segmentation - By Technology
6. North America Proximity Sensor Market Segmentation - By Industry
6.1 Aerospace & Defense
6.3 Manufacturing Industry
6.4 Consumer Electronics
7. North America Proximity Sensors Market, Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
7.1 Panasonic Corporation
7.2 Turck Inc
7.3 Rockwell Automation, Inc.
7.4 Omron Corporation
7.5 Honeywell International Inc.
7.6 Broadcom Corporation
7.7 Fargo Controls Inc.
7.8 Omron Corporation
7.9 Ifm Electronic GmbH
7.10 Pepperl + Fuchs GmbH
7.11 Sick AG
8. Investment Analysis
8.1 Recent Mergers and Acquisitions
8.2 Investor Outlook
9. Future of the North America Proximity Sensor Market