North America Power Sector Gas Turbine MRO Market Size
|CAGR:||> 3 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
North America Power Sector Gas Turbine MRO Market Analysis
The North American Gas Turbine MRO Market in the Power Sector is expected to register a CAGR of more than 3% during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Currently. The market has reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Over the long term, Factors such as an aging fleet of gas turbines, the need to maintain operational efficiency, and stringent emissions norms from power plants are expected to be the major drivers of the market.
- On the other hand, an increasing shift towards renewable energy for power generation, lack of retention of skilled labor, and increased durability of modern gas turbines may restrain the market's growth during the forecast period.
- Nevertheless, the increasing demand for electrical energy to sustain regional development requires heavy investment in power supply generation. These investments result in capacity enhancement, reduction of emissions, and better efficiency. As the region is going towards net-zero emissions, several opportunities are likely to come to the players involved in the market soon.
- The United States is expected to dominate the North American Gas Turbine MRO Market in the power sector during the forecast period.
North America Power Sector Gas Turbine MRO Industry Segmentation
A gas turbine is a combustion engine that converts natural gas or other liquid fuels to mechanical energy in the heart of a power plant. This energy then powers a generator, which generates the electrical energy distributed to homes and businesses via power lines. MRO is an abbreviation for gas turbine Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul. The gas turbine requires regular maintenance, repair, and overhaul to achieve optimum performance.
The market is segmented by service type. By service type, the market is segmented into maintenance, repair, and overhaul. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the North America Gas Turbine MRO Market in the Power Sector across the major countries. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts are based on the revenue (USD Billion).
|Rest of North America|
North America Power Sector Gas Turbine MRO Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the North America Power Sector Gas Turbine MRO Market according to our research experts:
Maintenance Service Type Segment to Dominate the Market
- The increase in natural gas production has shifted the focus on developing gas-fired power plants. The greenhouse gases emitted from gas-fired power plants are comparatively lower than those from coal-fired power plants. Moreover, the demand for peak power is increasing, which can be most effectively met by gas-based power generation.
- Moreover, natural gas-based electricity generation increased significantly, reaching almost 36.6% (1973 TWh) of electricity generation by fuel in 2021 in North America. Due to clean fuel properties, its demand is growing in almost every major country. But only deploying gas turbines does not guarantee any flexibility in operations for the long term, and here, MRO services come into the picture. Thus, many companies have started using maintenance services, either at the beginning of the plant commencement or after crossing a certain period.
- For instance, in May 2022, J-POWER USA Development Co. Ltd. put the first two Mitsubishi Power M501JAC gas turbines made in North America into service at its Jackson Generation Project, a 1,200 megawatt (MW) combined-cycle power plant in Elwood, Illinois.
- Furthermore, in August 2022, GE's TM2500 trailer-mounted turbine and GE's LM2500XPRESS are constructed in modules for on-site installation. The company announced plans to expand its manufacturing facilities in Greenville, South Carolina, to accommodate more units. GE will invest up to USD 5 million in its Greenville Global Technology Center to increase the output of its TM2500 and LM2500XPRESS aero-derivative units. Therefore, the existing fleet and the recently commissioned fleet of gas turbines are expected to act as significant drivers for the maintenance segment during the forecast period.
- Thus, based on the above-mentioned factors, the maintenance sector is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period, owing to increased gas-powered power plants, aging existing power plants, and rising concerns over greenhouse gas emissions.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United States to Dominate in the Market
- The United States market is driven by the aging fleet of coal-based power plants and their subsequent replacement with gas-based power plants to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Also, the development of new natural gas power plants and combined heat and power (CHP) plants are expected to drive the gas turbine MRO services market in the country.
- The majority of the coal-based power plants in the United States became operational between 1960 and 1990. As of September 2021, 212 GW of utility-scale coal-fired electric-generating capacity was operating in the United States, most of which were built in the 1970s and 1980s, with the average operating coal-fired generating unit in the United States being 45 years old.
- Furthermore, according to Energy Information Agency (EIA), around 59 GW of the coal-fired capacity is currently operating in the United States and is expected to be retired by 2035. The increasing retirement of coal-based power plants has paved the way for increasing investments in gas-based power plants, which also require significant MRO services.
- In 2021, around 61% of utility-scale electricity generation in the United States was generated from fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and petroleum), 19% from nuclear energy, and 20% from renewable energy sources. Moreover, the share of natural gas-fired electricity generating capacity increased from 17% in 1990 to 43% in 2021, and its share of electricity generation more than tripled from 12% in 1990 to 38% in 2021.
- In 2021, electricity generation from natural gas accounted for 1693.8 TWh in North America. The total capacity for generating power in the United States from natural gas-fired technologies surpassed coal as the primary capacity resource more than 15 years ago.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, the United States is likely to dominate the North American gas turbine MRO market in the power sector during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
North America Power Sector Gas Turbine MRO Industry Overview
The North American Gas Turbine MRO Market in the Power Sector is partially consolidated, with major players holding a big market share. Some of the major companies ( not in particular order ) include General Electric Company, Siemens Energy AG, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd, Fluor Corporation, and Power Services Group.
North America Power Sector Gas Turbine MRO Market Leaders
General Electric Company
Siemens Energy AG
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.
Power Services Group
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
North America Power Sector Gas Turbine MRO Market News
- August 2022: Duke Energy's Lincoln Combustion Turbine Station, powered by Siemens Energy's SGT6-9000HL (60Hz) turbine, has been certified as the "highest powerful simple-cycle gas power plant" with an output of 410.9 megawatts by Guinness World Records. Siemens Energy installed and is now testing its SGT6-9000HL turbine at Duke Energy's Lincoln Combustion Turbine Station near Denver, N.C., some 25 miles north of Charlotte, N.C., as part of an innovative partnership.
- May 2022: The first two Mitsubishi Power M501JAC gas turbines made in North America reached commercial operation at J-POWER USA Development Co. Ltd.'s (J-POWER USA) Jackson Generation Project, a 1,200 megawatt (MW) combined-cycle power plant in Elwood, Illinois.
North America Power Sector Gas Turbine MRO Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumption
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Thret of Substitute Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Service Type
5.2.1 United States
5.2.3 Rest of North America
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 General Electric Company
6.3.2 Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd
6.3.3 Bechtel Corporation
6.3.4 Flour Corporation
6.3.5 Siemens Energy AG
6.3.6 Sulzer AG
6.3.7 Babcock & Wilcox Enterprises Inc.
6.3.8 Weg SA
6.3.9 Power Services Group
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
North America Power Sector Gas Turbine MRO Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The North America Gas Turbine MRO Market in the Power Sector market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of North America Gas Turbine MRO Market in the Power Sector?
The North America Gas Turbine MRO Market in the Power Sector is growing at a CAGR of >3% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in North America Gas Turbine MRO Market in the Power Sector?
General Electric Company, Siemens Energy AG, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd., Fluor Corporation, Power Services Group are the major companies operating in North America Gas Turbine MRO Market in the Power Sector.
North America Gas Turbine MRO Market in the Power Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 North America Gas Turbine MRO in the Power Sector market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. North America Gas Turbine MRO in the Power Sector analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.