Netherlands POS Terminal Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Netherlands POS Terminal Market Analysis
The Netherlands point of sale terminal market is expected to grow at a CAGR above 11.7% during the forecast period, 2022-2027. Nearly everyone in the Netherlands has a debit card from their bank that is linked to a payment account. The Dutch Payments Association is committed to the safety of using payment terminals in the Netherlands.
- In the current market scenario, the POS terminal systems have evolved from transaction-oriented devices to systems that support and integrate into businesses' CRM and other financial solutions. This instance allowed companies to leverage captured transactional data through POS terminals for business intelligence.
- In early 2020, a consortium of European banks announced they were taking the first steps to creating a pan-European payment solution. This solution will be based on Instant Payments for use in stores, online, and between individuals. The European Payments Initiative (EPI) consortium intends to start operational activities by the end of 2022. The Netherlands Payment Association is considering how EPI can be fitted into the Dutch payment landscape.
- The efforts by the European Commission to simplify the payment acceptance facilities of merchants are also triggering the market's growth. Till 2023, as part of the retail payments strategy, the European Commission has an action plan to support the modernization and simplification of EU merchants' payment acceptance facilities. This support could be achieved by guidance and awareness-raising amongst national retailers.
- The Netherlands witnessed a strong year in digital transactions and increased consumer interest in interacting with different payment methods, including no-contact POS terminals. Due to the countermeasures related to COVID-19, the share of contactless payments increased enormously. Virtually all payment terminals in the Netherlands accept contactless payment instruments since every cardholder can have a contactless bank card.
Netherlands POS Terminal Industry Segments
The Netherlands PoS Terminal market covers the number of terminals sold in a particular year.
Fixed POS terminals include devices such as PC-based workstations, namely PC-class Processor-based and LAN available terminals. Also, PC on Cash Drawer Devices (PCOCD) and self-checkout (unattended terminals) are part of the scope.
Mobile/Portable devices such as tablets of all sizes, and handheld terminals with or without payment processing capabilities are considered. This specific segment caters to the devices used to process a transaction/information. mPOS systems are linked to traditional transaction peripherals, including credit card machines, receipt printers, or scanners, and run on tablets, allowing the user to process a transaction from anywhere on the floor or open a new lane/terminal quickly. Devices are considered with or without credit/debit readers.
The market is further categorized to include end-users across the Netherlands, such as retail, healthcare, hospitality, etc. Also, a detailed COVID-19 impact on the market studied is made part of the study.
|Fixed Point-of-sale Systems|
|Mobile/Portable Point-of-sale Systems|
|By End-user Industry|
|Other End-user Industries|
Netherlands POS Terminal Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Netherlands POS Terminal Market according to our research experts:
Retail Segment to Hold the Major Market Share
- The retail industry is one of the major users of POS terminals. The segment is expected to hold a significant share in the Netherlands. The retail segment is slowly picking up with the reopening of brick-and-mortar stores in different parts of the country.
- The increasing need for multiple POS systems among big retailers, supermarkets, and departmental stores with a robust and centralized system has propelled the retail sector's steady growth in the POS terminal market. The increased emphasis on consumer behavior has led to increased POS adoption due to its consumer mapping application.
- Retail sales in the Netherlands grew 0.7% year-on-year in May 2022, easing sharply from an upwardly revised 8.2 percent rise in the previous month. It was the 17th straight month of increase in retail sales, but the weakest growth since June 2014, as sales of both food and non-food rose softer.
- Retail businesses, making thousands of dollars in transactions daily, rely on POS terminals to understand the sales performance and to better manage their inventory based on the products/services that attract most customers. With the increasing risk of handling cash, online transactions are gaining popularity, owing to the streamlined processes involved.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Healthcare Segment to Drive the Market Growth
- The healthcare industry is another prominent adopter of POS terminals. The segment is expected to grow rapidly due to several factors such as government initiatives, vendor activities, etc. According to a study by ING Economisch Bureau, the country saw a growth of 4.5% in the healthcare sector. Such instances suggest a growing demand for PoS terminals in the country from the healthcare segment.
- The demand for securing information of patients is one of the major drivers of POS terminals in the healthcare industry. For instance, the established General Data Protection Regulation or GDPR has a framework for data governance and quality to improve healthcare research, innovation, and policy making.
- With the rapid digitization of the healthcare industry in different parts of the region, the need for modern POS terminals is also increasing for processing pandemic-related information, payment processes, and managing patient information.
- In addition, the healthcare sector is creating a demand for POS terminals for contactless payments to ensure patient and staff safety. The growth has also been majorly due to the pandemic. The regional vendors have also launched new products that are concentrated toward improving patient safety—the modern POS terminals with touch screens that can be operated with rubber gloves suitable for healthcare usage.
Netherlands POS Terminal Market Competitor Analysis
The Netherlands point of sale terminals market is moderately fragmented, with major players like Ingenico ePayments, Verifone Payments BV, Spire Corp, etc., occupying most of the market share. Investments in partnerships and alliances are expected to be some of the strategic focus of vendors operating in the market. In addition, the vendors in the market are focusing on expanding their presence in the region to gain new customers.
- July 2022 - Buckaroo, a Utrecht-based online payment service provider, agreed to acquire SEPAY, a Hague-based point-of-sale payment service provider. Most of the stake was acquired with the support of Keensight Capital; a private equity firm focused on pan-European Growth Buyout investments and the majority investor in Buckaroo. The announcement comes more than a year after acquiring payment service provider Sisow in December 2021.
- June 2021 - Urovo, a prominent player offering mobile POS terminals, expanded to the Netherlands. The expansion is in line to support its robust local customer base. The penetration of players in the country also encourages market growth.
Netherlands POS Terminal Market Top Players
Verifone Payments BV
Newland Europe BV
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Netherlands POS Terminal Market Recent Developments
- June 2021 - Samsung Electronics introduced Samsung Kiosk, an all-in-one solution that offers contactless ordering and payment capabilities. Providing customers with easy installation options and a protective coating, the Kiosk is now available in 12 countries worldwide, including the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Austria, Australia, and Singapore. Kiosks have quickly become a part of everyday life, providing customers with a simple and interactive way to purchase items while giving businesses an innovative solution to reimagine the workplace and increase efficiency.
- March 2021 - myPOS released a new payment terminal called myPOS Slim, a payment companion for a wide range of businesses, including logistics and delivery companies/couriers and those in the retail and food & beverage industry. It weighs 240 grams, features a powerful Cortex A53 and ARM processor, and comes with 16GB of Flash and 2 GB RAM, allowing merchants to process payments faster than before.
Netherlands POS Terminal Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2.5 Threat of Substitutes
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Low Total Cost of Ownership Compared to Other Channels of Payments
5.1.2 Significant Rise in the Demand for Contactless and Mobile POS Terminals
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Security Concerns due to the Usage of Critical Information
5.3 Key Regulations and Complaince Standards of PoS Terminals
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Type
6.1.1 Fixed Point-of-sale Systems
6.1.2 Mobile/Portable Point-of-sale Systems
6.2 By End-user Industry
6.2.5 Other End-user Industries
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Ingenico Group
7.1.2 Verifone Payments BV
7.1.3 Spire Corp
7.1.4 Newland Europe BV
7.1.5 myPOS World Ltd.
7.1.6 Stripe, Inc.
7.1.8 Urovo Technology Corp., Ltd.
7.1.9 PayPlaza (CM.com)
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDs
Netherlands POS Terminal Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Netherlands POS Terminal Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Netherlands POS Terminal Market?
The Netherlands POS Terminal Market is growing at a CAGR of 11.7% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Netherlands POS Terminal Market?
Ingenico ePayments, Verifone Payments BV, Spire Corp, Newland Europe BV, myPOS are the major companies operating in Netherlands POS Terminal Market.
Netherlands POS Terminal Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Netherlands POS Terminal sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Netherlands POS Terminal research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Netherlands POS Terminal report PDF.