Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market Size
|Study Period:||2019 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market Analysis
The micro combined heat & power (CHP) market was valued at USD 541.15 million in 2020, and it is expected to reach USD 1,708 million by 2027, registering a CAGR of about 18.14% during the forecast period of 2022-2027. In 2020, few manufacturers/installers of the micro-CHP experienced a significant fall in H1 2020 compared to the previous year in 2019, which stalled the market growth of the global micro-CHP industry in H1 2020 due to the COVID-19 outbreak. For instance, 2G energy, one of the leading manufacturers of micro combined heat and power (CHP), witnessed a sharp decline in CHP system sales by more than 25% in H1 2020 compared to H1 2019. Factors such as low natural gas prices and increase in demand for decentralised energy systems along with supportive government policies are expected to drive the number of installations of micro CHP systems across the world. Although several efforts have been made over the years to remove technical and regulatory barriers and to have higher adoption of micro CHP systems, factors such as higher installation cost compared to conventional heating systems are likely to hinder the market growth during the forecast period.
- Residential segment held the largest share of the market in 2021, and is expected to dominate the market growth during the forecast period.
- Technological advancements of micro CHP systems would create an opportunity for the market to grow in the near future. For instance, in September 2021, Alkaline Fuel Cell Power Corp.(AFCP), a leading developer and manufacturer of micro-CHP systems, announced plans to commence testing of next-generation power units with Gaskatel GmbH. The collaboration is currently doing efforts to introduce micro-CHP systems based on alkaline fuel cell technology powered by hydrogen.
- Asia-Pacific is likely to dominate the market during the forecast period, with the majority of the demand coming from the Japan and China.
Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Industry Segmentation
The micro combined heat & power (CHP) market report includes:
|Other Fuel Types|
|Middle-East and Africa|
Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market according to our research experts:
Residential Segment Expected to Dominate the Market
- Due to the smaller size of micro-CHP systems, they provide an effective solution for sectors with relatively lower energy demands, such as domestic households. These systems also can reduce fuel usage, which leads to lower emissions and reduced costs. Smaller micro-CHP systems have high capacity factors (less than or equal to 95%). They can be powered by traditional fuels such as natural gas, liquified petroleum gas (LPG), or oil. They can also be integrated with low-carbon fuels like biogas, renewable natural gas (RNG), hydrogen, or biodiesel.
- Moreover, residential micro-CHP provides a local energy source, which provides an additional layer of resiliency for remote households and communities susceptible to power loss due to grid outages or severe natural disasters.
- One of the main advantages of micro-CHP systems for residential applications is the low space requirement, as these systems are of a similar size and shape to a standard residential boiler system, they can be wall-mounted or placed on the floor. Moreover, though the initial capital outlay for a residential micro-CHP system is greater than that of a similarly-sized steam boiler system, the process and costs of micro-CHP installation are similar. Additionally, maintenance and service costs are equivalent to standard boilers, although the maintenance of micro-CHP systems requires skilled specialists.
- Due to existing natural gas infrastructure for heating, micro-CHP systems have been most successful in high-income countries with cold winters, such as Europe and Japan. In contrast, the market is being driven moderately in other countries such as Canada, the United States, and China over the past few years owing to few pilot projects at residential scale.
- Moreover, United States also offers several federal and state-level incentives in the form of grants, and tax credits, and are eligible for receiving financing from various governmental schemes, in addition to net metering policies for residential micro-CHP users. Though the deployment of residential micro-CHP systems in the country has been limited, the sector has considerable potential. The residential sector consists of 122 million households that require 21% of the nation’s total energy consumption. Moreover, as most families depend on traditional systems such as conventional boilers and the grid for their energy, and micro-CHP systems provide an economical, efficient, and resilient alternative.
- Therefore, owing to the above points, residential sector is expected to dominate the micro combined heat & power (CHP) market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Expected to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is the largest market for micro CHP in the world and is expected to maintain its dominance during the forecast period as well. The region’s micro-CHP market is mainly dominated by Japan and few emerging countries, such as China, and South Korea.
- In Japan, fuel cell-based micro-CHP have become a widely preferred form of heat and electricity generation in residential and commercial segments, such as hotels, public facilities, hospitals, Institutions, to incur power savings and for reliable energy supply. The sales of micro-CHP by Ene-Farm program began in 2009 in the country, much ahead of the rest of the world.
- Apart from a shift towards grid-independent power generation, favorable government policies are also a major driver for the adoption of micro-CHP in the country. Foreign Direct Investments and special measure laws for new energy use were implemented to fasten the growth of the CHP market in Japan. Also, in the wake of the Tohoku earthquake and Fukushima nuclear crisis, the Japanese government is promoting the industrial CHP system as safer and cost-effective electricity generation. Hence, these are the major factors driving the micro-CHP market in the country.
- Japan implemented one of the most successful fuel cell commercialization programs, the Ene-farm program, in 2015. As of 2019, the program led to the deployment of about 306,000 fuel cell-based micro-CHP systems, of which around 90% were in the residential sector. Each system has up to 5 kW of capacity. The country plans to deploy about 5.3 million of these residential units by 2030.
- South Korea has also been an early adopter of fuel cell-based micro-CHP, just like Japan. Residential CHPs were being installed in the country as early as 2012 when around 350 micro-CHPs were installed and have continued to grow since then, supported by favorable government policies.
- According to the South Korean government's Hydrogen Economy Roadmap announced in 2019, South Korea plans to produce around 2.1 GW of micro fuel cells for households and buildings by 2040, which is expected to significantly drive the market being studied during the forecast period.
- Therefore, owing to the above points, Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the micro combined heat and power (CHP) market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Industry Overview
The micro CHP market is moderately fragmented. Some of the key players in the market include Vaillant Group, Viessmann Group, Yanmar Holdings Co. Ltd, EC Power A/S, and Axiom Energy Group, LLC.
Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market Leaders
Axiom Energy Group, LLC.
EC Power A/S
Yanmar Holdings Co. Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market News
- A micro-CHP project worth EUR 199,956.88 was launched on November 2021, during a public engagement event held at the EsploraPlanetarium at Esplora Interactive Science Centre in Kalkara, under the MCST Fusion R&I Programme. This programme is a collaboration between the University of Malta and Abertax Kemtronics Ltd. The launched project has an efficiency of more than 85%, thus, enabling the development of a compact, efficient, and low-cost unit of combined heat and power system ideal for small homes.
- In April 2020, Magnex and Elcogen signed LOI commercial agreement for SOFC commercialization. Magnex Co. Ltd is developing a 250 W SOFC portable system, 1 kW SOFC cell stack, and 1-5 kW SOFC combined heat and power generation (CHP) system, which is fueled by bio-gas or ethanol. The company is targeting Japanese and Korean markets with the help of Elcogen’s low operating temperature technology, thus, allowing the use of low-cost materials and cost-efficient system design.
- In August 2020, the Axiom Energy Group planned to launch distributed micro combined heat and power (mCHP) systems. This distribution of mCHP systems was made through ATCO Group, thus bringing affordable, clean energy to customers throughout the North American region. The mCHP systems produce electricity as a by-product of heat generated for hot water or open space heating. This process is highly efficient (more than 93%) and with near-zero emissions.
Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Fuel Type
5.1.1 Natural Gas
5.1.3 Other Fuel Types
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Navien Inc
6.3.2 Biomass Engineering Limited
6.3.4 Enexor Bioenergy
6.3.5 Helbio S.A.
6.3.6 Enginuity Power Systems
6.3.7 GRIDIRON LLC
6.3.8 Vaillant Group
6.3.9 Viessmann Group
6.3.10 Yanmar Holdings Co Ltd
6.3.11 ATCO Ltd
6.3.12 EC Power A/S
6.3.13 TEDOM A.S
6.3.14 2G Energy Inc.
6.3.16 Axiom Energy Group, LLC.
6.3.17 SOLIDpower Group
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market is studied from 2019 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market?
The Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market is growing at a CAGR of 18.14% over the next 5 years.
What is Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market size in 2019?
The Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market is valued at 541 Million USD in 2019.
What is Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market size in 2028?
The Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market is valued at 1708 Million USD in 2028.
Which region has highest growth rate in Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2019 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market?
Viessmann Group, Axiom Energy Group, LLC., EC Power A/S, Yanmar Holdings Co. Ltd, Vaillant Group are the major companies operating in Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Market.
Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Micro Combined Heat & Power (CHP) analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.