Large Scale LNG Terminals Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|CAGR||> 5.00 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Large Scale LNG Terminals Market Analysis
The Large-Scale LNG Terminals Market is expected to record a CAGR of approximately 5% during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19. Presently the market has now reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Natural gas is a cleaner fuel than crude oil, helps to reduce air pollution, and thereby helps in reducing air-spread diseases that get spread through multiple toxic macro particles. On the other hand, trading takes place on the ground of requirements. The power, fertilizers, city gas distribution networks, and refineries majorly drive the liquefied natural gas market within a country.
- However, fluctuating natural gas price increases the risk associated with large-scale LNG terminal construction and, therefore, is expected to hinder the market's growth.
- The supply imbalance in the region would result in increased dependency on the other regions, which is expected to create an opportunity for the LNG terminal companies.
- The Asia-Pacific is dominating the large-scale LNG terminals market with the presence of both liquefaction and regasification terminals. Australia, Indonesia, and Malaysia have the highest capacity liquefaction terminals, while Japan, South Korea, China, and India have the highest capacity infrastructure for the regasification of LNG.
Large Scale LNG Terminals Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Large Scale LNG Terminals Market according to our research experts:
Regasification LNG Terminals to Dominate the Market
- In 2021, Japan, South Korea, China, and Spain dominated the market with a large capacity of LNG regasification terminals. Japan's regasification capacity for LNG accounted for 211.4 million metric tons per year in 2021, the highest in the world.
- In 2021, the total consumption of natural gas in Europe amounted to 412 billion cubic meters, up by 4% (17 billion cubic meters) compared to 2020. In 2021, the EU imported 24% of its total natural gas through LNG, with the remaining coming from pipelines, primarily from Russia, Norway, the UK, and Algeria.
- Moreover, In February 2022, 21 terminals were operating in Europe, with a combined regasification capacity of 160 bcm/year and a combined storage capacity of 7.65 million m3 LNG.
- There were five more projects (including expansion at existing terminals) under construction in Europe, adding up to an additional 19.5 bcm/year of regasification capacity overall. Thus, with the above projects and increasing LNG consumption in Europe, the LNG regasification terminals segment is expected to grow in the forecast period.
- With the increasing demand for natural gas, especially in the power sector, it is expected that more large-scale LNG is expected to get commissioned during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- In 2021, According to the BP World Energy Review, the region accounted for 72% of the global capacity in LNG imports. In addition to urbanization and rapid economic growth, the construction of new LNG regasification terminals has played a key role.
- LNG imports accounted for 371.8 Billion cubic meters in Asia-Pacific in 2021. With an annual growth rate of 7.7%, imports are expected to increase in the future, which, in turn, will create demand for large-scale LNG terminals in the forecast period.
- China had 24 terminals under construction with a total capacity of 85 million tons per year. Additionally, By 2024, Singapore-based Atlantic, Gulf, and Pacific seek to open its first liquefied natural gas port in India, however, it is considering other locations in addition to the southern part of the nation as a potential site.
- Thus, with the upcoming LNG terminal projects and increasing LNG import capacity, the region is expected to dominate the market in the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Large Scale LNG Terminals Industry Overview
The Large-Scale LNG Terminal Market is fragmented. Some of the key players in the market ( not in a particular order ) include TotalEnergies SE, Exxon Mobil Corporation, Shell PLC, Chevron Corporation, and BP PLC.
Large Scale LNG Terminals Market Leaders
Exxon Mobil Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Large Scale LNG Terminals Market News
- November 2022: Germany finished the construction of its first floating LNG terminal at the North Sea port of Wilhelmshaven, as the country scrambles to obtain additional LNG and transition away from Russian pipeline gas.
- November 2022: China has begun expanding its liquefied natural gas facility in Shanghai's Yangshan port, with a total investment of approximately USD 2.37 billion. The project includes a new 150,000-tonne LNG ship port and 3.1 million cubic meters of storage capacity, approximately 3.5 times the capacity of existing storage tanks.
Large Scale LNG Terminals Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 List of LNG Terminals by Capacity, and by Location, 2022
4.3 List of Upcoming Terminals by Capcity and Location
4.4 CAPEX Forecast for LNG Terminals Market in USD billion, till 2027
4.5 Recent Trends and Developments
4.6 Government Policies and Regulations
4.7 Market Dynamics
4.8 Supply Chain Analysis
4.9 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.9.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.9.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.9.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.9.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.9.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Location of Deployment
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 South America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Cheniere Energy Inc.
6.3.2 China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC)
6.3.3 TotalEnergies SE
6.3.4 Exxon Mobil Corporation
6.3.5 Shell PLC
6.3.6 Chevron Corporation
6.3.7 British Petroleum (BP) PLC
6.3.8 Tokyo Electric Power Company Holding Inc.
6.3.9 Tokyo Gas Co. Ltd
6.3.10 Petronet LNG Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Large Scale LNG Terminals Market Research FAQs
What is the current Large Scale LNG Terminals Market size?
The Large Scale LNG Terminals Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 5% during the forecast period (2023-2027).
Who are the key players in Large Scale LNG Terminals Market?
Exxon Mobil Corporation, TotalEnergies SE, Shell PLC, BP plc and Chevron Corporation are the major companies operating in the Large Scale LNG Terminals Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Large Scale LNG Terminals Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2027).
Which region has the biggest share in Large Scale LNG Terminals Market?
In 2023, the Asia Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Large Scale LNG Terminals Market.
Large Scale LNG Terminals Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Large Scale LNG Terminals market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Large Scale LNG Terminals analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.