Seismic Services Market Size
|Study Period||2019 - 2028|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 5.44 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 6.34 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||3.10 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Middle East and Africa|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Seismic Services Market Analysis
The Seismic Services Market size is expected to grow from USD 5.44 billion in 2023 to USD 6.34 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 3.10% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The COVID-19 pandemic affected the market severely. The pandemic led to a series of lockdowns all over the world, which caused a major slump in demand for crude oil, and as a result, the prices crashed, which made upstream activities economically unfeasible. In terms of market growth, factors such as increasing exploration in the offshore areas such as in West Africa and the Gulf of Mexico, coupled with the strengthening of crude oil prices, making the upstream activities economically feasible, are likely to drive the market. However, a lot of countries are shifting to renewable energy sources and ending their reliance on crude oil, which may restrain the market growth during the forecast period.
The offshore segment accounts for the largest share in the seismic services market due to a number of favorable conditions compared to onshore.
Land-based and shallow-water oil fields have reached their maturity, and there is little scope for any new field discovery in these areas. Therefore, the development of deepwater and ultra-deepwater water reserves is expected to create significant opportunities for the seismic services market in the future.
The African region is expected to witness significant demand in the seismic services market during the forecast period.
Seismic Services Industry Segmentation
Seismic services involve the collecting of seismic data to create a 2D or 3D representation of the Earth's underground layers. Oil and gas businesses use the data to reduce risk in the tedious process.
The seismic services market is segmented by service, location of deployment, and geography. By service, the market is segmented into data acquisition and data processing and interpretation. By location of deployment, the market is segmented into onshore and offshore. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the seismic services market across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on revenue (USD billion).
|Data Processing and Interpretation|
|Location of Deployment|
Seismic Services Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Offshore Oil and Gas Industry
- The offshore segment accounts for the largest share of the seismic services market. Offshore seismic data usually has much higher quality than onshore due to several favorable conditions, including repeatable and consistent sources, good conditions for coupling at sources and receivers, and the uniform property of water as the medium.
- According to Baker Hughes, the total world average rig count was 1,747 in 2022, more significant than the world average of 1,361 in 2021. With the increasing number of rigs, exploration activities will grow, which, in turn, is expected to drive the seismic services demand in the world.
- In January 2022, Shell PLC announced the discovery of a substantial offshore oil and gas well in Namibia. Early analysis of the exploratory drilling estimates that the newly discovered well could contain 250 to 300 million barrels of oil and gas. After this discovery, the reservoir development work necessary for commercial petroleum production will likely drive the market.
- Furthermore, the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate has estimated that around 47% of all the remaining resources on the shelf must be discovered. Around 350 undeveloped discoveries in the United Kingdom Continental Shelf (UKCS) contain 3.2 billion barrels of oil equivalent (bboe).
- Therefore, increasing exploration and production (E&P) activities in the deepwater and ultra-deepwater reserves and increasing efforts by the oil and gas majors to tap into the undiscovered resources are expected to drive the offshore seismic services market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Middle-East and Africa is Likely to Experience Significant Growth
- The Offshore Seismic Survey is the least expensive method of mapping oil and gas deposits. This approach locates subsurface structures and records data on refraction and reflection. Because the survey requires more than one source, several WGs are employed to collect data.
- Middle-East and Africa is witnessing increasing offshore exploration in regions such as offshore West Africa, which has widespread untapped resources, creating opportunities for the oil and gas exploration companies. Thus, explorations in this region are likely to drive the seismic services market.
- In January 2022, Shell PLC made a significant oil and gas discovery in the Graff-1 well in offshore Namibia, which can spark a wave of investment in Namibia. The drilling results have shown one layer of at least 60 meters deep of hydrocarbons, holding an estimated 250 to 300 million barrels of oil and gas equivalent. The field expects to go into production by 2026 after its development, including seismic surveys, which are expected to drive the market.
- Furthermore, in January 2022, the Australian geoscience company Searcher started its seismic survey off the West Coast of South Africa for a multi-client survey program that covers a number of petroleum license blocks. The permit area is approximately 297,087 m2, and the permit provides for the undertaking of a two-dimensional and three-dimensional speculative seismic survey program. This is likely to aid the growth of the market in the region.
- Therefore, the above-mentioned factors, such as new oil and gas discoveries and approvals for seismic testing, are expected to drive the seismic services market in the Middle-East and Africa region over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Seismic Services Industry Overview
The seismic services market is highly concentrated. Some of the major companies include (not in a particular order ) Schlumberger NV, CGG SA, PGS ASA, TGS ASA, and Halliburton Company, among others.
Seismic Services Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Seismic Services Market News
- In February 2022, Abu Dhabi’s state-owned oil and gas company ADNOC announced the discovery of between 1.5 to 2 trillion standard cubic feet of gas in an offshore area located in the Emirate’s Northwest.
- In January 2022, Shearwater GeoServices secured contracts for two multicomponent surveys in offshore Western Australia with the oil and gas company Santos. The two-month program covers the Keraudren North Extension with an area of approximately 680 sq. km in the Bedout Basin and the Petrel Sub-Basin 3D survey of roughly 1,100 sq. km.
Seismic Services Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2028
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
188.8.131.52 Increasing Exploration in Offshore Areas
184.108.40.206 The Strengthening of Crude Oil Prices, Making the Upstream Activities Economically Feasible
220.127.116.11 Shifting to Renewable Energy Sources
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Data Acquisition
5.1.2 Data Processing and Interpretation
5.2 Location of Deployment
5.3.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States of America
22.214.171.124 Rest of North America
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of the South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 United Arab Emirates
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 Rest of the Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Halliburton Company
6.3.2 Briscoe Group Limited
6.3.3 CGG SA
6.3.4 Fugro NV
6.3.5 ION Geophysical Corporation
6.3.6 PGS ASA
6.3.7 Polarcus Ltd
6.3.8 SAExploration Holdings Inc.
6.3.9 Schlumberger NV
6.3.10 SeaBird Exploration PLC
6.3.11 Shearwater GeoServices Holding AS
6.3.12 TGS ASA
6.3.13 Magseis Fairfield ASA (WGP Group Ltd)
6.3.14 China Oilfield Services Limited
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Availability of Deepwater and Ultra-Deepwater Water Reserves
Seismic Services Market Research FAQs
How big is the Seismic Services Market?
The Seismic Services Market size is expected to reach USD 5.44 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 3.10% to reach USD 6.34 billion by 2028.
What is the current Seismic Services Market size?
In 2023, the Seismic Services Market size is expected to reach USD 5.44 billion.
Who are the key players in Seismic Services Market?
Halliburton Company, CGG SA, PGS ASA, TGS ASA and Schlumberger NV are the major companies operating in the Seismic Services Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Seismic Services Market?
Middle East and Africa is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Seismic Services Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the Seismic Services Market.
Seismic Services Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Seismic Services market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Seismic Services analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.