Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The primary battery market is expected to register a CAGR of more than 4.4% during the forecast period of 2021 – 2026, reaching approximately USD 18 billion by 2026, up from USD 12 billion in 2019. With the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, there is a sharp pullback in economic activity due to mandatory lockdowns and other containment measures. The COVID-19 impact on the energy, battery, automobile industries has already been profound. The demand for primary batteries remains high across the world, owing to the numerous advantages of primary batteries, such as low cost, wide application across consumer electronics, including flashlights, calculators, clocks, and smoke alarms. Also, factors such as rising demand for primary batteries in military applications and increased demand for consumer electronics are expected to drive the market over the forecast period. There has been an increase in the need for a battery that can meet heavy discharge requirements as consumer electronics power requirement increases. This is also expected to increase the demand for secondary batteries, which, in turn, is likely to have a negative impact on the growth of the primary battery market over the forecast period.
- The primary alkaline battery is expected to dominate the market and account for more than half of the market share.
- The increasing popularity of primary batteries in portable medical devices offers a significant growth opportunity for the primary battery market.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the market, with a majority of the demand coming from the countries such as China and India.
Scope of the Report
The primary battery market report includes:
|Primary Alkaline Battery|
|Primary Lithium Battery|
|Middle-East and Africa|
Key Market Trends
Primary Alkaline Battery to Dominate the Market
- The primary alkaline battery is expected to dominate the market in 2019 and is expected to continue its dominance over the forecast period. These types of batteries have high specific energy and are cost-effective, environment-friendly, and leak-proof, even when fully discharged. Alkaline can be stored for up to 10 years, has a good safety record, and can be carried on an aircraft without being subject to the United Nations transport and other regulations.
- Alkaline batteries offer higher energy output, longer shelf life, and last longer than carbon-zinc batteries, and have emerged as a replacement for carbon-zinc batteries since 1960.
- Over the years, the North American and European regions have accounted for the major demand for alkaline batteries. However, owing to factors, such as the shift from carbon-zinc batteries, the demand for alkaline batteries in Asia-Pacific and South America is expected to remain high.
- There have been major advancements in alkaline cell performance over the recent decades. These advancements have been a result of changes in packaging and manufacturing techniques rather than any improvements to the basic chemical system.
- Moreover, alkaline batteries are environment-friendly, which can be disposed of as trash. Also, they do not require active collection and recycling. However, the batteries that were made are mercury-free and hence, do not pose any environmental pollution or hazard on disposal. This creates a positive demand for these batteries since other rechargeable consumer batteries need to be properly collected and recycled.
- Therefore, based on these factors, a primary alkaline battery is likely to witness significant demand over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific has accounted for the largest share in the global primary battery market in 2019. The region is expected to continue its dominance in the forecast period as well.
- On a country level, China dominated the entire global battery market for a very long time and is expected to maintain the leading position in the market during the forecast period as well. China’s rise as a manufacturing powerhouse and its bullish consumer electronic product manufacturing growth are expected to drive the country's primary battery market soon.
- The sale of primary batteries is anticipated to increase, but at a slower rate than secondary batteries, through 2019. Further, alkaline batteries are expected to strengthen their dominance in the primary battery market and continue to witness the fastest growth, primarily due to the growing demand for zinc-based batteries. Alkaline batteries are favored for their higher power and a longer lifespan than zinc-carbon/chloride batteries.
- Japan’s purchasing parity increased consistently during 2009-2017. The growing purchasing parity, combined with the introduction of the new primary battery-powered electronic devices, has led to the growing demand for primary batteries for consumer electronics in Japan. The local manufacturers meet most of the demand for batteries.
- India is the fifth-largest country in the world in terms of military spending. Due to geopolitical tensions with the neighboring countries, mainly Pakistan and China, India is expected to continue increasing its military spending during the forecast period, driving the demand for primary batteries in the defense sector.
- Therefore, based on the demand coming from countries such as India, China, and Japan, the Asia-Pacific region is likely to dominate the primary battery market over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The primary battery market is highly fragmented. Some of the major players operating in this market include Duracell Inc., Excell Battery Co., FDK Corporation, Panasonic Corporation, and Toshiba Corporation.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected the battery supply chain as most of the batteries are manufactured in China, thereby highlighting the overwhelming dependence on China and the associated supply chain risks. This has spurred interest among various stakeholders for localization/regionalization of the supply chain in the United States and European regions to mitigate the supply chain risks.
Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast, in USD billion, till 2026
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Primary Alkaline Battery
5.1.2 Primary Lithium Battery
5.1.3 Other Types
5.2.1 North America
5.2.4 South America
5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Camelion Battery Co. Ltd
6.3.2 Duracell Inc.
6.3.3 Energizer Holdings Inc.
6.3.4 Excell Battery Co.
6.3.5 FDK Corporation
6.3.6 GP Batteries International Ltd
6.3.7 Panasonic Corporation
6.3.8 Saft Groupe SA
6.3.9 Toshiba Corporation
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Primary Battery Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Primary Battery Market?
The Primary Battery Market is growing at a CAGR of >4.4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Primary Battery Market?
South America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Primary Battery Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Primary Battery Market?
- Duracell Inc.
- Excell Battery Co.
- FDK Corporation
- Panasonic Corporation
- Toshiba Corporation
Are the major companies operating in Primary Battery Market.