Gas Engine Market Size
|Study Period||2019 - 2028|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 5.59 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 7.39 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||5.74 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Europe|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Gas Engine Market Analysis
The Gas Engine Market size is estimated at USD 5.59 billion in 2023, and is expected to reach USD 7.39 billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 5.74% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- Over the medium term, the gas engine market is largely driven by high natural gas supply at the global level and the demand for the emissions-free fuel system in the power generation and automotive sector.
- On the other hand, the thriving future of gas engines is thwarted by the growing inclination towards renewable sources of energy.
- Nevertheless, the technical advancements to produce the better versions of gas engines create ample opportunities for market development. Recently, the German company MAN Energy Solutions Engines introduced a new MAN E3872 gas-engine series for the first time at Biogas Convention & Trade Fair in Nuremberg. It is designed as a four-stroke spark-ignition gas engine with a displacement of 29.6 liters, a bore of 138mm, and a stroke of 165mm. It has 44% greater efficiency from just 12 cylinders.
Gas Engine Market Trends
Power Utilities Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- Electric Utilities prefer gas engines to serve base electrical loads. In addition, the use of gas engine generators is also considered highly useful for handling peak load demand. Several utilities worldwide have faced a rapid spike in the peak load demand, especially during the morning and evening time periods.
- Natural gas-based power generation stands at second place in the global electricity generation mix, after coal. The output was recorded as 6631.39 TWh in 2022, making around 23% of total power generation. The most highlighted reason for such a huge deployment of gas-based engines was the decarbonization of the power sector. Many gas-to-power projects are still on the way to be added to the global power generation portfolio.
- According to global energy monitor, over 600 gigawatts of natural gas power plants are in the development stage worldwide as of 2022, of which 160 gigawatts have already been constructed.
- In Nomeber 2022, Wartsila announced to receive order for two 34SG gas engines by the Tamilnadu Petroproducts Limited (TPL) for 15.5 MW captive power plant in Chennai, India.
- In October 2023, Jineng (Zhoushan) Gas Power Generation Co. placed an order with GE Vernova for two of its 9HA.02 combined-cycle gas turbines in collaboration with Harbin Electric Corporation. China's state-owned utility Jineng (Zhoushan) Gas Power Generation Co. announced starting construction of a new combined-cycle power plant on Zhoushan, the archipelago's largest island. Scheduled to begin operations by the end of 2025, the plant is expected to deliver a total of nearly 1.7 gigawatts (GW) of electricity for Zhoushan. The 9HA.02 DLN2.6e combustion system is designed to operate on up to 50% hydrogen by volume, well above the plant's initial goal to operate on up to 10% hydrogen.
- Owing to such kind of developments, the power utility segment is expected to have a significant share among all the applications of gas engine systems during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Expected to Have a Significant Growth
- The European region has the maximum potential to allow high deployment of gas engines in various applications. The government policies to have a greener energy transition act as a catalyst for the growth of the market, as hydrogen and natural-gas-based technologies render an emission-free environment.
- Furthermore, the presence of industry-leading companies in the region propels a higher techno-growth of the gas engine industry. Many companies have come out with better gas engine systems with more versatility for new applications.
- In April 2023, Clarke Energy recieved order to deliver 50MW of hydrogen ready INNIO Jenbacher gas engines to VPI's expansion at Immingham energy hub. A 50MW gas reciprocating peaking facility installed by Clarke Energy, scheduled to begin operation early next year, and a 299MW open cycle gas turbine (OCGT), scheduled to begin operation by summer 2025, represent VPI's investment in capacity essential to the success of the energy transition.
- In January 2023, Rolls-Royce announced that it had conducted successful tests of a 12-cylinder gas variant of the mtu Series 4000 L64 engine running on 100% hydrogen fuel. In the tests carried out by the Power Systems business unit, the company stated that the engine showed excellent characteristics in terms of efficiency, performance, emissions, and combustion.
- Owing to such developments, the European region is expected to ace the market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Gas Engine Industry Overview
The gas engine market is semi-consolidated. The key players in this market include (in not particula order) General Electric Company, Wartsila Oyj Abp, Rolls-Royce Holdings PLC, Caterpillar Inc., and Cummins Inc., among others.
Cummins Inc claims to participate in healthy competition with a variety of independent engine manufacturers and generator set assemblers as well as OEMs who manufacture engines for their own products. Some of the company’s major competitors in the region include CAT, MTU (Rolls Royce Power Systems Group) and Kohler/SDMO (Kohler Group), Generac, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI), etc.
Gas Engine Market Leaders
Wartsila Oyj Abp
Rolls-Royce Holdings PLC
General Electric Company
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Gas Engine Market News
- In March 2023, ITP Aero, a Spanish aircraft engine company, has announced that it is leading a national consortium to test and develop the first hydrogen-fueled commercial aircraft engine developed locally. As part of the Spanish Ministry of Science agency's Aeronautical Technology Plan, managed by CDTI, the Spanish Center for Technological Development and Innovation, the USD 13 million Cryogenics, Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Combustion in Air Transport project is co-funded by European Union Next Gen strategic investment funding.
- In November 2022, the Weichai Group launched a commercial natural gas engine with a base engine thermal efficiency of 54.16%. The natural gas engine is likely based on Westport high-pressure direct injection (HPDI) technology. Technical improvements in the 54.16% BTE natural gas engine include high thermal efficiency technologies used in diesel engines, such as high-efficiency turbocharging and low friction technologies. The engine utilizes a ‘dual-step’ (or ‘two-step’) combustion chamber system, which could mean a stepped lip bowl.
Gas Engine Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2028
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
126.96.36.199 Increasing Supply and Consumption of Gas-based Systems in Various End-user Industry
188.8.131.52 Implementation of stricter emission regulations worldwide
184.108.40.206 Growing Inclination towards Renewable Sources
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Power Utilities
5.2 Fuel Type
5.2.1 Natural Gas
5.2.3 Other Fuel Types
5.3.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 Rest of North America
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 United Arab Emirates
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Caterpillar Inc.
6.3.2 Cummins Inc.
6.3.3 Siemens AG
6.3.4 Rolls-Royce Holdings PLC
6.3.5 Wartsila Oyj Abp
6.3.6 Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd
6.3.7 Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd
6.3.8 Man SE
6.3.9 General Electric Company
6.3.10 Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd
6.3.11 JFE Engineering Corporation
6.3.12 Liebherr Group
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 The Technical Advancements to Produce the Better Versions of Gas Engines
Gas Engine Market Research FAQs
How big is the Gas Engine Market?
The Gas Engine Market size is expected to reach USD 5.59 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 5.74% to reach USD 7.39 billion by 2028.
What is the current Gas Engine Market size?
In 2023, the Gas Engine Market size is expected to reach USD 5.59 billion.
Who are the key players in Gas Engine Market?
Wartsila Oyj Abp, Rolls-Royce Holdings PLC, Caterpillar Inc., Cummins Inc. and General Electric Company are the major companies operating in the Gas Engine Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Gas Engine Market?
Europe is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Gas Engine Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Gas Engine Market.
Gas Engine Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Gas Engine market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Gas Engine analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.