Femtocells Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Femtocells Market Analysis
Femtocells Market is anticipated to register a CAGR above 16% during the forecast period. Femtocells are cellular base stations used to provide wireless connectivity for mobile devices such as smartphones. It is usually used in areas where the strength of the mobile signal is weak. Femtocell access points facilitate feasible access to voice and data services. They offer benefits such as scalable deployment, backward compatibility with the macrocellular technology, reduced transmission power, portability of devices, low-cost deployment, and improved coverage that results in prolonged mobile battery life, among others.
- There is growth in femtocells due to technological advancements in femtocell technology and decreasing cost of femtocell devices. Additionally, there is high adoption of femtocells in the residential segment coupled with increasing demand from the enterprise segment, which also drives the market.
- The primary driver for the femtocells market is less power consumption. As the transmission power of femtocells is comparatively less than macrocell networks, the former consumes less power than the latter and saves energy. A femtocell consumes less than 7 W and can support several connections in each range.
- The increase in applications of Smartphones for availing value-added services has fueled the growth of the femtocell market. Reductions in the cost of electronic equipment such as mobile phones, laptops, and other internet devices have increased the demand for femtocell.
- The primary factor hindering the growth of the femtocells market is the availability of substitutes in the forms of Wi-Fi and picocells. Flexibility in networking technology trends is also reducing the revenue for the femtocells market.
- The COVID-19 outbreak had a beneficial effect on the femtocell market's expansion because femtocell technologies assist businesses in meeting the high capacity demand of internet traffic. The majority of internet and data service providers noticed an increase in worldwide internet traffic over the past year. The COVID-19 pandemic is predicted to accelerate the adoption of industrial automation across a range of industry verticals, including e-commerce, manufacturing, and transit and logistics, which is predicted to increase demand for femtocells for Internet of Things connectivity.
Femtocells Industry Segmentation
Femtocell is a small, low-power cellular base station designed for use in the home or small business. They are low-power wireless access points that connect mobile devices to operators’ networks using cable broadband or residential DSL connection. With the help of these devices, the network operator can provide high-quality voice and data transmission to its subscribers.
The Femtocells Market is segmented by Application (Commercial, Residential) and Geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Middle East, and Africa).
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|Middle East & Africa|
Femtocells Market Trends
Commercial Segment Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The primary driver for femtocell in the commercial segment is the increased mobile traffic and the lack of network in multitenant buildings, hotels, or office towers. A benefit of this solution is that it can be cheaper and more flexible.
- The advent of IoT had a transformational impact on all industries by reshaping business models, value chains, and entire industry configurations. Femtocells offer indoor coverage and have been able to satisfy the needs of smart devices and provide affordable connectivity throughout the enterprise.
- From manufacturing industries adopting Industry 4.0 to business organizations promoting the BYOD policy, various factors have been augmenting the growth of the market studied. A few significant drivers of the market include smart city initiatives, which have also been instrumental in encouraging vendors to develop products that are specific to smart city applications.
- For instance, NXP Semiconductor introduced a femtocell solution that targets high-bandwidth, low-power baseband applications. The solution is optimized for LTE and WCDMA (HSPA+) to offer optimized cost and power for smart city development.
- Femtocell technology enables carriers to enjoy some immediate benefits, such as fixed mobile substitution, in which consumers stop picking up their landline phones and use more mobile minutes, thereby driving incremental ARPU. Femtocell technology raises the bar in indoor environments and remote locations, such as the suburbs.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The United Kingdom is a front-runner in technology and services and recorded GDP growth of 1.6%. The economy is expected to be modest, owing to the subdued consumer expenditure and the political and economic uncertainty of the outcomes of Brexit negotiations.
- The UK segment is buoyed by the presence of robust technologies and infrastructure, owing to the presence of market leaders like Verizon. It is characterized by intense competition in the mobile and broadband sectors. This is one of the reasons why mobile penetration in the country is higher than the European average, supported by relatively low consumer prices.
- With the increasing smartphone penetration (which is around 80%), advancements in the capabilities of these mobile devices and the penetration of the 4G technology across the region have led to robust data usage. By 2024, nearly 50% of UK households are expected to be smart homes. This trend indicates that there exists a significant potential for the adoption of femtocells.
- The growth of the UK segment is anticipated to be driven by the robust demand for wireless networks in the residential and commercial sectors, robust data usage on mobile devices, and the increasing adoption of smart homes.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Femtocells Industry Overview
The femtocells market is fragmented. The players in the market are bringing many innovations, and there are various mergers and acquisitions taking place. The market players operating in this market can achieve a competitive advantage by providing cost-efficient, consistent, and scalable equipment.
In January 2021, Nokia launched the world's first MulteFire(TM) small cell that enables enterprises, industries, smart cities, and MSPs to leverage global unlicensed spectrum for high-capacity, secure, and high-coverage private LTE networks. The new small cell - the Nokia Flexi Zone MulteFire Multiband Pico BTS - is expected to allow companies and enterprises to connect mobile sensor-enabled 'things' and people more efficiently, thus enabling new business models and paving the way towards future 5G connectivity.
In May 2021, Nokia unveiled the introduction of new products to its portfolio of market-leading AirScale small cells for superior indoor and outdoor 5G coverage. The updated hardware in Nokia's new products supports the majority of frequency bands, including those needed for the C-Band spectrum in the United States.
Femtocells Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Femtocells Market News
- September 2022: To facilitate the transition from 3G to 5G, AT&T launched a new femtocell from Nokia. The operator recently reported shipping 145,000 devices to customers whom the change would impact. The action underlines a continuing plan by wireless carriers to use femtocells to fill in network gaps.
- November 2022: Cisco revealed plans to open a next-generation semiconductor device design center in Spain. Cisco plans to establish an engineering design center to create and prototype next-generation semiconductor devices as part of its global strategy to enable a dependable, scalable, and sustainable global semiconductor supply chain. This will be done within the framework of the Spanish strategic project for the Recovery and Economic Transformation of Microelectronics and Semiconductors.
Femtocells Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Increasing Role of Femtocells in the Continuity of 4G and 5G
4.3.2 Demand for Heterogeneous Networks
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Lack of Skilled Professional Across Industries
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Application
6.2.1 North America
6.2.4 Latin America
6.2.5 Middle East & Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Nokia Corporation
7.1.2 Samsung Electronics
7.1.5 Airvana Inc.
7.1.6 CommScope Inc.
7.1.7 Fujitsu Ltd.
7.1.8 ZTE Corporation
7.1.9 Netgear Inc.
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Femtocells Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Femtocells Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Femtocells Market?
The Femtocells Market is growing at a CAGR of 16% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Femtocells Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021 - 2026.
Which region has largest share in Femtocells Market?
North America holds highest share in 2022.
Who are the key players in Femtocells Market?
Nokia Corporation, Fujitsu Ltd., Samsung Electronics, Cisco, Qualcomm are the major companies operating in Femtocells Market.
Femtocells Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Femtocells market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Femtocells analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.