Europe Tissue & Hygiene Paper Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Tissue & Hygiene Paper Market Analysis
- The European tissue and hygiene paper market is expected to register a CAGR of 1.62% during 2022-2027. Consolidation is one of the prevalent trends in the European tissue market, as the major players have been growing through sizeable acquisitions and organic growth. The market consolidation also increased due to expansion in the market sizes of the middle-sized and small players.
- Tissue paper products, including paper towels and toilet paper, play an essential role in everyday life. They contribute to improved hygiene, comfort, and convenience. According to the European Tissue Symposium (European Tissue Paper Association), the European market represents around 25% of the global tissue market. The advancements in tissue manufacturing technology and the efficient use of raw materials may improve the design of tissue products and the way they are dispensed.
- The consumption of tissue-paper-related products in Europe is rising due to increasing awareness regarding hygiene, growth in the share of private or retailer labels, high per capita consumption, growing use of tissues in the away-from-home segment, and moderate population growth. In a report published by the German Süddeutsche Zeitung, the average annual toilet paper consumption in Germany was estimated at 93 rolls per household.
- In Europe, the Tuscan industry (Italy) is one of the pillars of the tissue paper sector. In this region, 80% of the national tissue paper production occurs, with approximately 1,200,000 metric tons of tissues produced annually. The most important national paper producers for hygienic/sanitary use are located in the Lucca district, which ranks first in Europe, with 21% of production volumes. (Source - A. Celli Group).
- According to a report by the European Tissue Symposium, published in Q2 2020, Essity, Sofidel Group, and the WEPA Group accounted for 27.6%, 12.3%, and 9.6% of the capacity shares in the European tissue market, respectively, almost 50% of the overall market.
- The large presence of locally organized and unorganized manufacturers of tissue products affects the businesses of the prominent associated companies. Moreover, sudden disruption of the supply chain and trade restrictions faced by several countries limit the business expansion for the companies in the international markets and can hinder market growth.
- COVID-19 and panic-buying had a little bit of a down-sided impact on the tissue and hygiene industry. Due to increased sales in the retail sector, orders increased significantly in March and April 2021 across Europe, especially in Germany. Temporarily, the demand for toilet paper in 2021 was nearly twice as high as usual, but that has since leveled off in 2021.
- Moreover, companies such as Essity announced that its sales suffered an 11% drop in second-quarter sales, hit by coronavirus lockdowns and adverse effects of bulk buying in the early stages of the crisis.
Europe Tissue & Hygiene Paper Industry Segments
Tissue paper is manufactured using the mash of hardwood and softwood trees, water, and synthetic compounds. The method for producing tissue paper includes pulping and retting, adding color or components to strengthen or soften and improve the water-holding limit, and finally, squeezing the item to form into the necessary shape. The European tissue and hygiene paper market is divided into six segments, i.e., toilet paper, paper tissues, household paper, feminine hygiene, diapers, and incontinence. The scope of the market includes retail sales and wholesale distribution. The market is further segmented by type (at home and away from home) across different countries in the region.
|Raw Material (Qualitative Analysis)|
|Other Raw Materials|
|Away from Home|
|Rest of Europe|
Europe Tissue & Hygiene Paper Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Europe Tissue & Hygiene Paper Market according to our research experts:
Toilet Paper to Drive the Market Growth
- Toilet paper holds a prominent share in both away-from-home and home utilities, such as tissue and hygiene products. It is used widely in almost all business establishments, commercial places, and households. Kimberly-Clark leads the toilet paper business in the European market, followed by Essity. The United Kingdom remains an important European growth market despite COVID-19 and Brexit.
- Toilet paper sales increased dramatically during the pandemic in most European countries. According to an article published in Forbes, in October 2020, 10% of German consumers stocked toilet paper due to the ongoing lockdown in the country. Such instances were witnessed across several other countries as manufacturers faced a huge upsurge in demand for toilet paper.
- The ongoing demand compelled several companies to increase their production capacities to meet the spiking demand. For instance, in September 2020, Wepa, one of Europe's leading toilet paper manufacturers, expanded its Bridgend Factory. It invested in a new paper machine with an annual production capacity of 65,000 metric tons. Moreover, WEPA UK secured GBP 6 million from the Welsh government to support its expansion plans.
- Many companies are working on innovative solutions to improve customer experience. For instance, in March 2021, The Navigator Company launched a new generation of tissue paper integrated with a soap called Amoos Aquactive. Its innovative technology, Aquactive, is activated when the paper comes in contact with water, immediately producing soap foam.
- Moreover, in September 2021, Metsä Tissue, the tissue paper business of the forest industry Metsä Group, announced its plans to invest in a new tissue mill in the United Kingdom. The company plans to increase tissue paper production capacity to 240,000 tons in several phases during the coming years. The plans are part of the company’s Future Mill program to drive world-class environmental performance in tissue production.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The United Kingdom to Witness Significant Growth
- The United Kingdom is one of the major markets in Europe, where the use of hygiene products and toiletries is significantly high. The country is also one of the main markets for diapers. According to various studies, about 7.5-8 million nappies are used in the United Kingdom.
- According to the Office for National Statistics (UK), the country's population aged between 0 and 9 years stood at 8.01 million in 2019, according to the Office for National Statistics (UK). There were 640,370 live births in the country during the year, a decrease of 2.5%. The country's birth rate has been declining steadily since the last decade, and the aging population is increasing, which is expected to impact the diaper market in the country.
- With a growing and aging population in the United Kingdom, the demand for hygiene products continues to increase. Manufacturers in the country make products for all market sections, from branded premium products focusing on quality to generic grades of tissues costing less. Many mills in the country have de-inking plants to process recycled paper fiber to produce tissues.
- According to a report by the UK Office for National Statistics (2021), the manufacturer sales of paper for household and sanitary goods and toilet requisites in the region accounted for GBP 2,266 million in 2020. The sales of toilet paper and hand towels amounted to 855,717 and 281,699 metric tons, respectively.
- The average weekly household expenditure on toilet paper in the United Kingdom in 2020 by people aged less than 30 years, 30 to 49 years, 50 to 64 years, 65 to 74 years, and all households accounted for GBP 0.8, 1.1, 1, 0.9, and 1, respectively. (Source: Office for National Statistics, March 2021). All the above factors will likely contribute to the market's growth during the forecast period. Pampers held a major share of the market in the country.
- According to a study (sample size of 6218) by Swagbucks in the United Kingdom, about 21% of the respondents mentioned that Pampers was their favorite brand for baby diapers, followed by Huggies (5%) and Asda Diapers (4%).
- The United Kingdom is among the countries in Western Europe with high penetration rates for disposable hygiene products, especially wipes, baby diapers, and femcare pads. With Brexit, the country's need to manufacture these products is expected to increase over the next two years.
- Also, in recent times, private labels are emerging as major brands in these product categories. For example, diapers from Asda, Tesco, and Sainsbury, which are major grocery and retail chains in the country, hold a lower single-digit share of the market and are rapidly growing.
- The demand for women's hygiene products has also reached the maturity stage in the country, as its female population is slightly higher than that of the male population.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Tissue & Hygiene Paper Market Competitor Analysis
The tissue and hygiene paper market is moderately competitive, with new firms entering the market and the existing firms holding a part of the market share. The firms engage in strategic partnerships and innovate new products to retain their market share.
- July 2022 - Santander UK provided a multi-million-pound funding package to Malvern-based Lucart Hygiene to support its growth in the ‘away from home’ tissue paper industry. The company - formerly Essential Supply Products - was acquired by Italian paper manufacturing giant Lucart SpA in March 2021, marking the group’s entrance into the UK market.
- June 2021 - In pursuit of its 2030 ambition to reduce the use of fossil fuel-based plastics by half before the end of the decade, Kimberly-Clark announced a partnership with the biotech company, RWDC Industries, to advance sustainable technology for consumer products that provide much-needed solutions to the world's single-use plastics problem.
- April 2021 - Lucart S.p.A, an Italian producer of machine glazed (MG) paper and products, acquired a British manufacturer of tissue paper products to grow its presence in the UK. The company intends to increase the production of toilet paper, rolls and hand towels, kitchen paper, and napkins for its main clients: hospitals, schools, hotels, and restaurants.
Europe Tissue & Hygiene Paper Market Top Players
WEPA Industrieholding SE
Kimberly Clark Corporation
Industrie Cartarie Tronchetti SPA
Cartiere Carrara SpA
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Tissue & Hygiene Paper Market Recent Developments
- August 2022 - The WEPA Group invested in a new converting line at its Leuna location. The highly efficient line was recently put into operation and enables the production of very soft and absorbent paper while using little raw material thanks to innovative technology. The new converting line from manufacturer Gambini can produce high-quality hygiene paper at production speeds of 700 meters per minute and is geared towards kitchen towels.
- April 2022 - Ontex, one of the leading international providers of personal hygiene products, announced the official opening of its Global Excellence Center (GEC) for Process Engineering and Global Platform Innovation. The center was officially opened in Mayen, Germany. Around 180 people will work at the site as operators of development production lines, engineers, and lab technicians.
- September 2021 - Essity started sustainable tissue production based on pulp from wheat straw. The plant in Mannheim, Germany, is the first in Europe and the first large-scale tissue producer globally. The process requires less water and energy with straw instead of wood-based virgin or recovered fibers as raw material.
- April 2021 – Germany’s WEPA Group launched its first eco-friendly brand, Feel Good ecological toilet paper. It is composed of recycled paper of the highest quality, including scrap paper, magazines, and even retail catalogs. The company plans to invest more than GBP 100 million in a new paper line at its Bridgend plant in the next two years.
Europe Tissue & Hygiene Paper Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness – Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
4.5 Market Drivers
4.5.1 Increase in Trend of Take-away Food
4.5.2 Growing Awareness Regarding Hygiene
4.6 Market Restraints
4.6.1 Growing Concerns over Deforestation, Operational Concerns for Manufacturers, and Increasing Raw Material Prices
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Baby Diapers
5.1.2 Feminine Hygiene
5.1.3 Household Paper
5.1.5 Paper Tissues
220.127.116.11 Bathroom Tissues
18.104.22.168 Paper Napkins
22.214.171.124 Paper Towels
126.96.36.199 Facial Tissues
188.8.131.52 Specialty and Wrapping Tissues
5.1.6 Toilet Paper
5.2 Raw Material (Qualitative Analysis)
5.2.4 Other Raw Materials
5.3.1 At Home
5.3.2 Away from Home
5.4.1 United Kingdom
5.4.15 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 WEPA Industrieholding SE
6.1.2 Kimberly-Clark Corporation
6.1.3 Metsa Group
6.1.4 Industrie Cartarie Tronchetti SpA
6.1.5 Sofidel Group
6.1.6 Lucart SpA
6.1.7 Essity AB
6.1.9 Cartiere Carrara SpA
6.1.10 Ontex Group
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Europe Tissue & Hygiene Paper Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper Market?
The Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper Market is growing at a CAGR of 1.62% over the next 5 years.
What is Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper Market size in 2018?
The Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper Market is valued at 49 Billion USD in 2018.
What is Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper Market size in 2028?
The Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper Market is valued at 55 Billion USD in 2028.
Who are the key players in Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper Market?
WEPA Industrieholding SE, Kimberly Clark Corporation, Metsä Group, Industrie Cartarie Tronchetti SPA, Sofidel Group, Lucart SpA, Essity AB, Renova, Cartiere Carrara SpA, Ontex Group are the major companies operating in Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper Market.
Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Europe Tissue and Hygiene Paper report PDF.