Europe Shampoo Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Europe Shampoo Market Analysis
The Europe Shampoo Market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.1% over the next five years.
- The demand for different types of shampoos for various hair-related problems with multifunctionality is expected to drive the shampoo market owing to the increasing prevalence of hair disorders such as hair fall, oily hair, and many others, thus meeting the consumer's challenges. The players have started customizing and introducing shampoo according to consumer needs, further boosting the market revenue.
- Additionally, companies are reaching out to consumers through various distribution channels, such as online and other distribution channels. For instance, according to an e-commerce database organization (2021), amazon is by far the biggest online store in Germany. Approximately 50% of all beauty brands in the country have their own online stores, and some also operate through Amazon stores.
- One of the key elements that are leading to the growth of the Europes dry shampoo market has the unique selling point of removing oil from the scalp without the use of water is fueled by fast-paced lifestyles, long workdays, cold climate, particularly across Northern Europe and a preference for living in heavily polluted cities.
- Moreover, consumers increasingly prefer items made with natural components. As a result of linking synthetic compounds such as sulfates and parabens to frizzy hair, flaky scalps, and split ends, they are being avoided by consumers. For instance, in January 2021, the Estée Lauder Companies Inc. (Aveda), the plant-powered hair care brand, announced that all of its hair care, hair color, body care, makeup, and aroma products are 100% vegan in response to the growing demand for cruelty-free hair care products.
Europe Shampoo Industry Segments
The most popular hair care cosmetics category is shampoo, a basic hair care product. The shampoo is used to wash the scalp and hair by eliminating surplus sebum, dandruff, environmental dust, and product residue.
The Europe shampoo market is segmented by form, functionality, category, end user, distribution channel, and geography. By form, the market is segmented into Liquid Shampoo, Dry Shampoo, and shampoo bars). By functionality, the market is segmented into anti-hair fall, antidandruff, multifunctionality, and other functionalities. By category, the market is segmented into conventional and free-from). By end user, the market is segmented into adults and kids. By distribution channels, the market is segmented into supermarkets/hypermarkets, specialty stores, convenience stores, pharmacies and drug stores, online stores, and other distribution channels. By geography, the market is segmented into the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Russia, and the rest of Europe.
For each segment, the market sizing and forecast have been done based on value (in USD million).
|Natural/Free-Form (vegan, organic etc.)|
|Online Retail Stores|
|Other Distribution Channels|
|Rest of Europe|
Europe Shampoo Market Trends
Rising Popularity of Natural and Organic Shampoos
- A high percentage of European consumers base their purchase decisions on the type of ingredients available in hair care formulations. Over the past few years, consumers worldwide have been increasing their awareness of the harmful effects of certain compounds, such as paraben and aluminum compounds, present in hair care products. These compounds tend to disturb the scalp's natural pH levels, resulting in hair damage, breakout, dry scalp, and improper growth, among other problems.
- However, organic and natural shampoos do not interfere with the alkaline acid levels in the scalp, thus preventing damage to the hair. This factor has increased the demand for natural and organic hair care products and is expected to boost the market's growth in the coming years.
- Furthermore, purchases are made based on a product's efficacy, duration of protection, and clinical properties. As a result, several hair care product manufacturers have been focused on incorporating nature-inspired ingredients, such as plant-inspired and premium botanical ingredients, coupled with multi-functional properties to increase the appeal of their formulations among consumers.
- Organic and natural products are emerging as significant product segments in the European hair care market. With rising awareness regarding scalp-related issues and hair fall, consumers are increasingly inclined towards herbal and natural hair care solutions.
- Data from the National Health Statistics from 2022 indicate that about 8 million women in the United Kingdom experience hair loss. Manufacturers continuously expand their product portfolio with evolving consumer needs for shampoo products comprising natural ingredients.
- For example, in February 2021, Hain Celestial Group's brand Jason launched plant-based shampoo plus conditioner for men. Moreover, consumers are looking for shampoos infused with oils, including blended formulations and pure organics, thus, providing healthy fixes for dry and damaged hair.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Germany Holds a Significant Share in the Market
- Consumers in the country face varied hair care-related problems, among which hair loss and oily scalp are the most common. Moreover, according to the National Health Science (2022), 96 to 93% of consumers in Germany, France, and Italy are concerned regarding environmental pollution in their country, which affects hair health, and 36% of European consumers identify pollution as a major source of aggression on skin and hair damage.
- These problems are mainly due to weather conditions and pollution, which lead consumers to shampoo their hair daily, removing the natural oils in the hair or scalp. Thus, the sebum glands produce more oil, turning the scalp oily. This creates immense demand for damage control and thinning control hair care products, like shampoo, conditioner, hair oil, and diverse portfolio.
- As a result, various international hair care brands, like Procter and Gamble and Unilever PLC, compete to capture a significant share in the segment studied by retailing a wide range of damage-control hair care products. Additionally, the market has witnessed a steady increase in consumer demand for zero-waste or recyclable products owing to growing awareness regarding climate change and an increased desire to improve sustainability. Younger consumers are driving interest in sustainability and eco-friendliness, while consumers across demographics and a large section of the ex-pat population are concerned about potential health risks from using chemicals in products. Furthermore, the manufacturers leverage online platforms optimally by selling their products through their own websites and listing the products on popular e-retailing websites to improve their brand visibility and reachability.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Shampoo Market Competitor Analysis
The Europe Shampoo market is highly competitive, with various international and domestic players. Some major global shampoo market players are L'Oréal SA, Unilever PLC, The Procter & Gamble Company, and Kao Corporation, among others. The key players have been embarking on partnerships, mergers and acquisitions, and product innovations as their key strategies to achieve consolidation and optimize their offerings. These players have been merging with local players to gain dominance in the local markets. In the market studied, established major brands that claim to be natural, organic, and involved in sustainable practices have been witnessed to achieve higher penetration across retail shelves and online channels.
Europe Shampoo Market Top Players
The Procter & Gamble Company
The Estee Lauder Companies Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Shampoo Market Recent Developments
- September 2022, Estée Lauder Companies and Balmain entered a partnership to launch Balmain beauty, a line of luxury beauty products. Under the agreement, the companies will work together to develop, produce and distribute the product line that appeals to affluent consumers worldwide, including in Europe.
- September 2021: Shiseido’s Drunk Elephant expanded its distribution channels by introducing its product lines to Ulta beauty stores online and offline. The product line includes the brand’s skincare range and hair care products, including CocominoGlossing Shampoo, CocominoMarula Cream Conditioner, and Wild Marula Tangle Spray, among others.
- In August 2021, TRESemmé (Unilever PLC) announced the launch of its natural hair care range, Pro Pure, in the United Kingdom, available in three shampoo and conditioner pairings: Damage Recovery, Radiant Colour, and AirlightVolume. The company’s United Kingdom website lists the ingredients for the Damage Recovery products, which include Macadamia Oil and Wheat Protein, to help repair hair damage and impart shine. The products are also dye-free and paraben-free.
Europe Shampoo Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Liquid Shampoo
5.1.2 Dry Shampoo
5.1.3 Shampoo Bars
5.2.4 Other Functionalities
5.3.2 Natural/Free-Form (vegan, organic etc.)
5.5 Distribution Channel
5.5.2 Specialty Stores
5.5.4 Pharmacies/Drug Stores
5.5.5 Convenience Stores
5.5.6 Online Retail Stores
5.5.7 Other Distribution Channels
5.6.1 United Kingdom
5.6.7 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 L'Oreal S.A
6.3.2 Wella Company (Briogeo Hair Care)
6.3.3 The Procter & Gamble Company
6.3.4 Unilever PLC
6.3.5 The Estee Lauder Companies Inc.
6.3.6 Kao Corporation
6.3.7 Henkel AG & Company. KGaA
6.3.8 Shiseido Co., Ltd.
6.3.9 Beiersdorf AG
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe Shampoo Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Shampoo Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Europe Shampoo Market ?
The Europe Shampoo Market is growing at a CAGR of 4.1% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Europe Shampoo Market ?
L'Oreal SA, The Procter & Gamble Company, Kao Corporation, Unilever PLC, The Estee Lauder Companies Inc. are the major companies operating in Europe Shampoo Market .
Europe Shampoo Industry Report
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Europe Shampoo Market sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Europe Shampoo Market research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Europe Shampoo Market report PDF.