Europe Automated Storage & Retrieval System Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Europe Automated Storage & Retrieval System Market Analysis
The Europe Automated Storage and Retrieval System market were valued at USD 4488 million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 7278 million by 2026 and grow at a CAGR of 8.39% over the forecast period (2021 - 2026). Since May 2020, many of the warehouse sites have been recovering after starting their operations post lockdown. However, the fluctuations caused in the starting four months of 2020 resulted in order delays and led time across the warehouse robotics supply chain throughout the year. Moreover, with the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic last year, robots and automation played a critical role in managing the situation. Furthermore, the situation was likely to bring new opportunities to the market. Ocado, a British online grocer, aimed to make its warehouse robotics and grocery home-delivery technology available to other supermarkets for a licensing fee.
- Europe has been the earliest adopter of industrial automation, owing to increasing investments in the Industry 4.0 revolution. According to the CBI Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Europe accounts for more than one-third of the global Industry 4.0 investments. Western and Northern Europe are its main markets, especially Germany, where the term was initially coined and a frontrunner.
- Northern Europe is traditionally the most developed market in terms of the use of automation in warehouses. Besides the high labor costs, the working conditions at the factory have also prompted the adoption of sophisticated and advanced automation. In Scandinavia, System Logistics has supported essential clients in the food and beverage sector in effectively managing picking, warehousing, and material handling operations.
- Moreover, in warehouses across Europe, man and machine are frequently working more closely together, and a lack of an efficient and skilled workforce could accelerate automation further, according to JLL, an investment management company.
- Additionally, Germany is also increasing the adoption of Industrial Robots due to the growth of various industrial enterprises and increased automation adoption in storage and processing, primarily due to the increasing safety measures and labor costs. For instance, according to IFR, Germany remained the primary user in Europe with an operational stock of about 221,500 units which is about three times the stock of Italy (74,400 units), five times the supply of France (42,000 units), and about ten times the stock of the UK (21,700 units). Also, as per the International Federation of Robotics (IFR), in 2020, Germany has the third-highest robot density globally (346 units per 10,000 workers), after Singapore and South Korea. This increases the need for PLC, MES, HMI, SCADA, DCS, among other industrial control systems.
- Further, expanding cross-border e-commerce, increasing the volume of parcels being handled, and growing awareness among states with lesser automation contribute to faster growth. But, the demand for ASRS is volumetrically lower in other countries than the top nations, like Germany, France, and the United Kingdom in this region.
Europe Automated Storage & Retrieval System Industry Segmentation
The European region is one of the largest markets for automated storage and retrieval systems (ASRS) globally, which the United Kingdom and Germany lead. The market is fragmented due to only many prominent players and is segmented by product type and end-user industries. The report provides vendor profiles operating in the market and the market share of each end-user sector and product type. Further, the market study also comprises details on the impact of COVID-19.
|By Product Type|
|Fixed Aisle System|
|Carousel (Horizontal Carousel + Vertical Carousel)|
|Vertical Lift Module|
|By End-User Industries|
|Food and Beverage|
|Post and Parcel|
|Other End-user Industries|
|Rest of Europe|
Europe Automated Storage & Retrieval System Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Europe Automated Storage & Retrieval System Market according to our research experts:
Automotive is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share
- Smart factory, which includes Automated Storage and Retrieval System that offers the automotive industry opportunities to react faster to the market requirements, reduce manufacturing downtimes, enhance the efficiency of supply chains, and expand production in the region.
- In Europe, leading countries like France and Germany invest heavily in machinery and equipment. The demand from automotive part suppliers increased due to a significant order for industrial robots from the motor vehicle sector. With the modernization and digitalization of production systems, the scope for employing innovative machinery and equipment is increasing.
- Due to the initiatives taken by the European Union, small- and medium-sized enterprises in Europe are also adopting automation to produce affordable, easy-to-install, and modular robots. Collaborative robots are also helpful to the increasing number of SMEs in their manufacturing process while also reducing their production times and labor costs.
- Moreover, Automakers and suppliers are moving toward using collaborative robots, known as cobots, for ASRS. Such devices often are smaller, have more agility, and can be safely deployed alongside human operators. For instance, BMW relies on cobots to improve the safety of workers within its plat and for the quality of goods and components produced. Other companies following the same include Nissan, Ford — specifically in their Cologne, Germany, plant.
- Further, as it has been identified that the auto assembly increased significantly using automation, showing a growth pattern in the number of cars being produced in the region while simultaneously cutting costs, the smart factory implementation in this sector has grown considerably.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United Kingdom Accounts For the Largest Market Share
- In the United Kingdom, the political, economic, and technological developments are impacting the growth of the manufacturing industry proportionally. Although the BREXIT vote sent shockwaves across all sectors, the manufacturing industry remained positive.
- In addition, the predicted labor shortage is strengthening the case for logistics automation as firms seek to make their operations less labor-intensive. High demand and opportunities for further market growth have invoked optimism among automated logistics suppliers.
- Furthermore, out of all the major automated material handling products, the automated storage, and retrieval system (AS/RS) is widely used in the United Kingdom due to the demand from the manufacturing, logistics, and distribution sectors.
- Moreover, in September 2020, the British government has invested GPB 147 million into the second round of "Manufacturing Made Smarter." This should enable UK Manufacturing companies to develop cost-effective, innovative solutions for deployment in the manufacturing sector.
- Further, Industore, an AS/RS solution provider in the United Kingdom, has a comprehensive product line used in warehouses, small storage units, and spacious storage units. ExMac Automation, another market leader in AS/RS solutions, supplies automated storage and retrieval crane systems (from high-capacity mini-load cranes and racking to high-bay warehouse cranes) for several industries sectors in the country.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Automated Storage & Retrieval System Industry Overview
The Europe Automated Storage and Retrieval System market are fragmented and highly competitive. Product launches, high expense on research and development, partnerships and acquisitions, etc., are the prime growth strategies adopted by the companies in the region to sustain the intense competition. Some of the recent developments in the market are -
- March 2021 - Global spirits company Amber Beverage Group (ABG) has signed an agreement with Jungheinrich, the manufacturer of warehousing equipment, to purchase EUR 15.5 million worth of equipment needed to build ABG’s automated high-bay warehouse.
- August 2020 - Kardex has invested in the start-up company Rocket Solution GmbH, based in Unterhaching near Munich. The company develops innovative, standardized automatic storage and retrieval systems of the latest generation. Its innovative technology features open IoT and Web interfaces and can therefore be easily integrated into complete systems. Through Rocket’s innovative technology, Kardex takes another step towards standardized sub-systems and expands its strategically essential light goods area portfolio.
Europe Automated Storage & Retrieval System Market Leaders
Viastore Systems GmbH
Vanderlande Industries BV
Schaefer Holding International Gmbh
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Automated Storage & Retrieval System Market News
- March 2020 - KION, Dematic’s parent organization, has acquired Digital Applications International Limited (DAI) (UK). The addition of DAI significantly expands Dematic’s intralogistics software offerings to support the movement, storage, and distribution of goods through the entire supply chain.
Europe Automated Storage & Retrieval System Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increased Emphasis on Workplace Safety
5.1.2 Increasing Concerns about Labor Costs
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Need for Skilled Workforce and Concerns over Replacement of Manual Labor
5.3 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Product Type
6.1.1 Fixed Aisle System
6.1.2 Carousel (Horizontal Carousel + Vertical Carousel)
6.1.3 Vertical Lift Module
6.2 By End-User Industries
6.2.3 Food and Beverage
6.2.4 General Manufacturing
6.2.5 Post and Parcel
6.2.7 Other End-user Industries
6.3 By Country
6.3.1 United Kingdom
6.3.5 Rest of Europe
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Viastore Systems GmbH
7.1.2 Vanderlande Industries BV
7.1.3 Kardex AG
7.1.4 Schaefer Holding International Gmbh
7.1.5 Mecalux SA
7.1.6 Witron Logistik
7.1.7 KUKA AG
7.1.8 TGW Logistics Group GmbH
7.1.9 System Logistics Spa
7.1.10 Knapp AG
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Europe Automated Storage & Retrieval System Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Automated Storage and Retrieval System Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Europe Automated Storage and Retrieval System Market?
The Europe Automated Storage and Retrieval System Market is growing at a CAGR of 8.39% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Europe Automated Storage and Retrieval System Market?
Viastore Systems GmbH, Vanderlande Industries BV, Kardex AG, Schaefer Holding International Gmbh, Mecalux SA are the major companies operating in Europe Automated Storage and Retrieval System Market.
Europe Automated Storage and Retrieval System Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Automated Storage and Retrieval System market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Automated Storage and Retrieval System analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.