Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market Size
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market Analysis
Europe's arthroscopy devices market is expected to register at a CAGR of 5.4% over the forecast period.
- COVID-19 has presented unexpected challenges to healthcare institutions worldwide and had an impact on European healthcare institutions. This virus also impacted the European arthroscopy devices market. For instance, an article published by the European Federation of National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (EFORT), in February 2022, reported that the COVID-19 pandemic led to the near-total shutdown of total joint arthroplasty surgeries in Europe. The source also reported that arthroplasty surgeries in Europe decreased by 28.7% in 2020 compared to the previous year. Only life-threatening pathologies like periprosthetic fractures and acute septic arthroplasty had undergone surgical treatment. Thus, the cancellation and postponement of arthroplasty surgical procedures in Europe have impacted the growth of the studied market. In the current, as the government restriction became flexible with a decrease in the number of COVID-19 cases, the number of surgical procedures performed in Europe has increased compared to the beginning of the pandemic, and thus the market is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period.
- The factors that are driving the growth of this market are increasing incidences of sports injuries, a rising geriatric population, and technological advancements in arthroscopic implants.
- The incidence of sports injuries has increased over the last few years, primarily due to the growing participation in sports as well as active participation in fitness activities. For instance, an article published in the journal Sec. Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation, in June 2021, reported that the 1-year prevalence of a severe sports injury episode was 31%. The most common injury locations for these injuries were the knee (25%), ankle (20%), and hip/groin (15%). The prevalence of an ongoing injury episode was 19%. Thus, the large number of sports-related injuries is increasing the demand for arthroplasty services, thereby fueling the growth of the market studied.
- Furthermore, the technological advancements in arthroscopic implants are another reason for fuelling the growth of the market in the region. For instance, in June 2022, NGMedical GmbH, a medical device manufacturer exclusively focused on creating innovative technologies for spinal applications, launched its new product, ART Fixation System, in Europe. Similarly, in May 2021, Safe launched the CE marking of Sycamore, an implant designed to secure the treatment of vertebral fractures and reduce the risk of adjacent fractures. Thus, such product launches are driving the growth of the studied market.
- European countries have a large section of geriatric population in their total population. The population aged 65 years and above is highly prevalent in arthroplasty surgeries. For instance, in July 2022, United Nations Projection reported that 9.6 million population in Spain aged above 65 years in the year 2022, and this population is expected to increase to 11.4 million by 2030 and to 13.8 million in 2040. Thus, a high number of arthroscopic surgeries among the increasing number of geriatric individuals is driving the growth of the studied market.
- Thus, due to the increasing incidences of sports injuries, a rising geriatric population, and technological advancements in arthroscopic implants, the market is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period. However, the lack of skilled surgeons and stringent regulatory requirements may slow the growth of the market over the forecast period.
Europe Arthroscopy Devices Industry Segmentation
As per the scope of the report, arthroscopy devices are used to examine the bone joints for specific conditions, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, tendinitis, and bone tumor.
The European Arthroscopy Devices Market is Segmented by Application (Knee Arthroscopy, Hip Arthroscopy, Spine Arthroscopy, Shoulder and Elbow Arthroscopy, Other Arthroscopy Applications), Product (Arthroscope, Arthroscopic Implant, Fluid Management System, Radiofrequency (RF) System, Visualization System, and Other Products), and Geography (Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Spain and the Rest of Europe). The report offers the market size and forecasts in value (USD million) for the above segments.
|Shoulder and Elbow Arthroscopy|
|Other Arthroscopy Applications|
|Fluid Management System|
|Radiofrequency (RF) System|
|Rest of Europe|
Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market according to our research experts:
Knee Arthroscopy is Expected to Witness a Significant Growth Over the Forecast Period.
- Knee arthroscopy is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period due to an increase in the geriatric population, technological development in Europe, and degenerative knee disease is largely increasing in prevalence. For instance, Euro Stats 2022 factsheet reported that the region is marked by the presence of a high number of geriatric individuals and about 129.8 million people will be aged 65 and above by 2050. Thus, a high geriatric population is expected to increase the demand for arthroscopic surgery, thereby driving the studied market.
- Arthroscopic knee surgery for degenerative knee disease is the most common orthopedic procedure in European countries. The demand for knee arthroscopy is increasing in the region due to the growing prevalence of sports injuries, particularly those acquired through contact sports. For instance, an article published in the journal Sports Medicine, in January 2022, carried out a retrospective study of 7,809 athletes from Germany, Switzerland, and Austria who were competing in competitive or recreational levels of sports. For them, the knee and shoulder were more common injury areas, with a prevalence of 28% and 14%, respectively. Thus, high knee injuries in sports may increase the demand for knee implantology surgery.
- The companies are advancing their technology on absorbable polymers, such as the development of calcium polymer composite materials for making these implants. For instance, in September 2022, Image Navigation Ltd launched its second-generation Image Guided Implantology (IGI) system during the European Association for Osseointegration (EAO) Congress in Geneva.
- Similarly, in May 2022, European Research and Innovation magazine reported the new technology of using spinning silk in the next generation of eye and knee implants. The silk protein implant provides a scaffold for bone and connective tissue to grow on so that even slow-repairing cartilage begins to regenerate. Currently, the study is under clinical trial. Such technological advancements are expected to offer unprecedented growth opportunities for segment expansion over the forecast period.
- Thus, due to the increase in the geriatric population, technological development in Europe, and degenerative knee disease largely increasing in prevalence, the segment is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Germany is Expected to Dominate the Market Over the Forecast Period.
- Germany is expected to dominate the market over the forecast period due to the increasing geriatric population and the presence of technological advancements. Moreover, the rising number of medical centers and growing investment in the development of sports injury surgeries are anticipated to result in rapid product adoption throughout the country.
- Key players dealing in the German market have built a vast product portfolio and created their presence in all major European countries. For instance, in June 2022, NGMedical GmbH, a medical device manufacturer exclusively focused on creating innovative technologies for spinal applications, launched its new product, the ART fixation system, in Europe.
- Also, the report published by the German Knee Society in January 2022, reported that between May 2020 to April 2021, more than 13,000 knee surgical procedures were performed and the majority of them were among the geriatric population of the country. Thus, a high number of knee surgeries is contributing to the market growth in the country.
- Furthermore, the research and clinical studies are also fueling the growth of the market in the country. For instance, an article published in the journal Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy, in May 2021, reported that the arthroscopic popliteus bypass (PB) graft technique provided good-to-excellent clinical results in the mid-term follow-up in patients with posterolateral rotational instability (PLRI) and a concomitant posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injury of the knee.
- Thus, due to the increasing geriatric population, the presence of technological advancements, the rising number of medical centers, and growing investment in the development of sports injury surgeries, the region is expected to show significant growth over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Arthroscopy Devices Industry Overview
The European arthroscopy devices market is highly competitive and fragmented. It consists of several major players like Arthrex Inc., Conmed Corporation, Johnson & Johnson, Karl Storz GmbH & Co. KG, Medtronic PLC, Richard Wolf GmbH, Smith & Nephew PLC, Stryker Corporation, Henke Sass Wolf GmbH, Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc., Sklar Corporation, Millennium Surgical, GPC Medical, and B. Braun Melsungen AG.
Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market Leaders
Johnson & Johnson (DePuy Synthes)
Richard Wolf GmbH
Karl Storz GmbH & Co. KG
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market News
- September 2022: Olympus Corporation launched VISERA ELITE III, the new surgical visualization platform. VISERA ELITE III offers various imaging functions. It has been launched in Europe, Japan, and many other parts of the world.
- April 2022: Smith & Nephew PLC launched the latest JOURNEY II Unicompartmental Knee (UK) System during the European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery & Arthroscopy 2022 Congress that was held in Paris, France. This device has the next generation of advanced designs with customized sizing options.
Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Incidences of Sports Injuries
4.2.2 Rising Geriatric Population
4.2.3 Technological Advancements in Arthroscopic Implants
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Lack of Skilled Surgeons
4.3.2 Stringent Regulatory Requirements
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Value - USD million)
5.1 By Application
5.1.1 Knee Arthroscopy
5.1.2 Hip Arthroscopy
5.1.3 Spine Arthroscopy
5.1.4 Shoulder and Elbow Arthroscopy
5.1.5 Other Arthroscopy Applications
5.2 By Product
5.2.2 Arthroscopic Implant
5.2.3 Fluid Management System
5.2.4 Radiofrequency (RF) System
5.2.5 Visualization System
5.2.6 Other Products
5.3 By Geography
5.3.2 United Kingdom
5.3.6 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Arthrex Inc.
6.1.2 Conmed Corporation
6.1.3 Johnson & Johnson
6.1.4 Karl Storz GmbH & Co. KG
6.1.5 Medtronic PLC
6.1.6 Richard Wolf GmbH
6.1.7 Smith & Nephew PLC
6.1.8 Stryker Corporation
6.1.9 Henke Sass Wolf GmbH
6.1.10 Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc.
6.1.11 Sklar Corporation
6.1.12 Millennium Surgical
6.1.13 GPC Medical
6.1.14 B. Braun Melsungen AG
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market?
The Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.4% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market?
Johnson & Johnson (DePuy Synthes), Arthrex Inc., Conmed Corporation, Richard Wolf GmbH, Karl Storz GmbH & Co. KG are the major companies operating in Europe Arthroscopy Devices Market.
Europe Arthroscopy Devices Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Arthroscopy Devices market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Arthroscopy Devices analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.