Electronic Article Surveillance Market Size
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Electronic Article Surveillance Market Analysis
The global market for electronic article surveillance is expected to register a CAGR of 3.20 percent over the next few years.With the rise in the adoption of Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS) devices, especially in retail stores throughout the globe, and the high adoption of acoustic-magnetic systems for broader protection in retail stores, the demand for EAS systems is expected to grow and expand throughout the forecast period.
- Organized retail crime remains a growing threat throughout the globe. From brazen merchandise heists by aggressive gangs to sophisticated e-commerce fraud teams, organized retail crime is an increasing concern for retailers. Hence, the protection against inventory losses, shoplifting, and theft is becoming a primary issue for retail stores, creating demand for EAS products and thus driving the market's growth significantly.
- Shoplifting is a significant cause of shrinkage for the retail business. Hence, owing to the increasing number of shoplifting cases globally, there is a growing demand for electronic article surveillance systems, mainly in the retail sector. The application of EAS reduces the need for extensive surveillance in every area, saving a significant investment and providing maximum safety and security for the products. Moreover, the increased inclination toward digital operations and the augmented growth potential in emerging economies are some of the principal opportunities for EAS providers. The clothing and fashion accessory stores are anticipated to have a significant market share of the EAS technology.
- Further, companies are investing heavily in this technology of smart labels. For instance, ThinFilm from Oslo launched a smart label for electronic product security to improve traditional Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS) technology. The result was a new category of anti-shoplifting brands that are easy to incorporate into merchandise and compatible with the world’s 8.2 MHz radiofrequency EAS infrastructure.
- However, aspects like the requirement of additional investment to implement EAS systems and the disruption in the retail sector affecting demand could be significant factors hindering market growth throughout the forecasted period.
- The COVID-19 outbreak affected international trade and supply chains of essential and non-essential services and goods. With the spread of COVID-19 across the world, businesses suffered significantly. The market growth slowed due to the temporary shutdown of retail outlets around the globe, such as clothing and fashion stores, among other types of department stores. Additionally, because of the significant effects of demand distribution across the semiconductor sector, manufacturers of new EAS solutions needed help keeping up with demand.
Electronic Article Surveillance Industry Segmentation
Tags and Antennas are components available in the electronic article surveillance (EAS) market.The technological procedure prevents shoplifting from retail establishments such as clothing and fashion accessories stores, supermarkets, and so on.The report's scope covers components such as tags, antennas, deactivators and detachers, and end-users catering to clothing and fashion accessories, cosmetics and pharmacies, supermarkets, and mass merchandise stores; it also covers the major geographical regions.
The electronic article surveillance market is segmented by component (tags, antennas, and deactivators/detachers), end-user (clothing and fashion accessories, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, supermarkets, and mass merchandise stores), and geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Rest of the World).
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|Other Components (Labels and Safers)|
|Clothing & Fashion Accessories|
|Supermarkets and Mass Merchandise Stores|
|Rest of the World|
Electronic Article Surveillance Market Trends
Tags to Witness Significant Market Growth
- Tags are expected to witness significant demand during the forecasted period. The labels are usually offered in various designs and sizes according to their different applications. Vendors all across the world innovate and launch new tags at regular intervals so that the products can contain the latest technology involved in them.
- For instance, in the first quarter of last year, Prosegur Security introduced DoubleLock, a new EAS tag that reduced the number of tag defeats by 60% in a use case. The Double Lock EAS tag has a hook and magnet release mechanism that is protected by a patent. This makes it hard to defeat.
- The EAS tags primarily come in multiple format types. The most common type is a pin that goes through the item, which is generally attached to the product’s tags with a looping wire. These EAS tags are compatible with AM and RF systems, and some work with RFID technology. The benefits of EAS in clothing and fashion accessories, such as ease of application, reduced labor, open merchandising and brand enhancement, speed of delivery on the shop floor, and an improved customer experience, are driving further adoption.
- Source tagging is a good way for stores to keep their goods safe and prevent theft. It is now a common practice.In the process, electronic security tags are put directly on consumer products when they are made and packaged.
- According to the Office for National Statistics (UK), the police in England and Wales recorded about 275 thousand shoplifting crimes in the last financial year, but only about 228 thousand in the following year. This big rise in shoplifting in general will drive the market to grow and expand over the next few years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Hold a Significant Market Share
- In the EAS market, North America is anticipated to have a sizable market share. The increasing number of retail stores in the apparel, supermarket, and mass merchandise sectors is anticipated to create a considerable demand for EAS systems.
- During the time frame of the forecast, the United States is expected to have the largest market share in North America. The country has been witnessing various retail store expansions. For instance, Ulta Beauty announced its plan to open 40 new stores last year with an investment of USD 70 million. In addition, the company planned to relocate ten stores and remodel 11 stores in the United States. Such investments have been driving opportunities for the EAS market in the region.
- Also, the market is seeing mergers, acquisitions, and investments by key players as part of a vital strategy to improve business and their presence to reach customers and meet their needs for different applications. For example, in the first quarter of 2016, Johnson Controls announced that its leading global retail solutions portfolio, Sensormatic Solutions, had teamed up with Intel Corporation to help retailers find new ways to do business.The collaboration would enable customers to make informed business decisions that drive positive outcomes.
- Also, since the opportunities have been growing, many companies have put a lot of effort into getting into the business of electronic article surveillance.For example, in the first quarter of 2016, ADT Commercial, which offers commercial security, life safety, fire, and risk consulting services, announced its new venture into electronic article surveillance through a strategic alliance with WG Security Products, Inc.This means that ADT can install and service WG Security EAS products in the United States. This includes the full range of detection systems, specialty tags, hard tags, disposable labels, detachers, and deactivation devices.
- Also, more and more customers in the area are asking for EAS tags to have ARC (associate in regulation and compliance) certification, so many vendors have put money into getting the certification. For example, Checkpoint was the first company to make radio-frequency identification (RFID) inlays with UCODE 9 IC that were certified by Auburn University's ARC Laboratory in the second quarter of last year. The certification matches every part of the retail supply chain and shows that the reading distance has grown by 11%. It also cuts down on the amount of time it takes to count the stock in both crowded and empty places.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Electronic Article Surveillance Industry Overview
The global market for electronic article surveillance (EAS) systems is moderately competitive, with many regional and global players. The rise in investments in R&D activities and innovations is expected to enhance market growth shortly and offer potential growth opportunities for new entrants in the coming few years.
In April 2022, Mainetti, an RFID retail solutions provider, declared its partnership with MishiPay, the premier scan-and-go technology provider. Shoppers worldwide will benefit from seamless checkout due to their combined efforts. With this new agreement, Mainetti can offer frictionless shopping to its apparel customers with the additional benefit of integrating MishiPay's patent-pending technology into its RFID and EAS solution and utilizing it on purchased items.
In January 2022, Securitas Electronic Security, Inc., an industry-leading expert in retail security, declared a strategic partnership with Nedap to deliver leading RFID, retail, and cloud-based loss prevention solutions. This partnership extends SES offerings to involve Nedap's portfolio of retail offerings, mainly focused on inventory visibility and seamless shopping experiences; it contains EAS solutions for retail stores, end-to-end supply chain visibility, unified omnichannel customer experiences, and seamless loss prevention.
Electronic Article Surveillance Market Leaders
Sensormatic Solutions (Johnson Controls International plc)
Gunnebo Gateway AB
Checkpoint Systems, Inc. (CCL Industries Inc.)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Electronic Article Surveillance Market News
- October 2022: Century, the provider of innovative RFID and EAS products, systems, and solutions, launched the RFID+EAS multi-alarm cable tag T313, the first dual-frequency multi-alarm cable tag. It is mainly designed to improve security and inventory management. The Century RFID+EAS multi-alarm cable tag provides additional protection by using a unique dual lanyard. These tags are portable and reusable objects that make open-merchandising simpler and require less help from salespeople.
- July 2022: Checkpoint Systems, a global provider of source-to-shopper solutions for the retail sector, declared the introduction of the OPAL tag. The new pinless article surveillance solution makes protecting articles like shoes, sportswear, outdoor gear, and other delicate items easier. The one-piece OPAL tag features a unique locking system with little rubber pads created by Checkpoint's Alpha High Theft Solutions group. This pinless solution ensures that the device does not damage the items when attached or withdrawn, making it suitable for various products, such as footwear, sportswear, outdoor clothes, and athletic equipment.
Electronic Article Surveillance Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHT
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Protection Against Inventory Losses, Shoplifting, and Theft
5.1.2 High Adoption of Acousto Magnetic System for Wider Protection in Retail Stores
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Requirement of Additional Investment to Implement EAS Systems
5.2.2 Disruption in Retail Sector Affecting the Demand
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Component
6.1.4 Other Components (Labels and Safers)
6.2 By End-User
6.2.1 Clothing & Fashion Accessories
6.2.3 Supermarkets and Mass Merchandise Stores
6.2.4 Other End-Users
6.3.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.3.4 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Sensormatic Solutions (Johnson Controls International plc)
7.1.2 Nedap N.V.
7.1.3 Gunnebo Gateway AB
7.1.4 Ketec, Inc.
7.1.5 Checkpoint Systems, Inc. (CCL Industries Inc.)
7.1.6 Agon Systems
7.1.7 All-Tag Corporation
7.1.8 Shenzhen Emeno Technology
7.1.9 Dexilon Automation S.L.
7.1.10 Tag Company (UK) Ltd.
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Electronic Article Surveillance Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Electronic Article Surveillance Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Electronic Article Surveillance Market?
The Electronic Article Surveillance Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.2% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Electronic Article Surveillance Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018-2028.
Which region has largest share in Electronic Article Surveillance Market?
North America holds highest share in 2022.
Who are the key players in Electronic Article Surveillance Market?
Sensormatic Solutions (Johnson Controls International plc), Nedap N.V., Gunnebo Gateway AB, Ketec, Inc., Checkpoint Systems, Inc. (CCL Industries Inc.) are the major companies operating in Electronic Article Surveillance Market.
Electronic Article Surveillance Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Electronic Article Surveillance market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Electronic Article Surveillance analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.