|Study Period:||2019- 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Electronic Article Surveillance Market was valued at USD 974.7 million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 1,190.9 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 3.60%, over the forecasted period. Owing to the emergence of the COVID-19 pandemic, the market growth has significantly slowed down due to the temporary shutdown of retail outlets around the globe, such as clothing, fashion stores among other types of departmental stores. Further, with no new expansions in this period, the demand for EAS systems is expected to be sluggish.
- The protection against inventory losses, shoplifting, and theft are the major reasons for the adoption of EAS products, thus driving the market. For instance, according to the NRF (National Retail Federation), organized retail crime (ORC) costs the retail industry around USD 30 billion every year. Also, according to the National Retail Security Survey (NRRS), a major cause of shrinkage for the retail business is shoplifting. All these instances have forced the retailers to implement a solution that can prevent theft, thereby driving the demand for EAS.
- Moreover, the number of shoplifting offenses in England and Wales in 2019-2020 accounted for 359.24 thousand, according to the Office for National Statistics (UK). Owing to the increasing shoplifting cases across the globe, the application of EAS reduces the need for extensive surveillance in every area, which saves a large amount of investment, along with providing maximum safety and security of the products.
- Further, companies are investing hugely in this technology of smart labels. For instance, ThinFilm from Oslo launched a smart label for electronic product security, in order to improve traditional Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS) technology. The result was a new category of anti-shoplifting labels that is easy to incorporate into merchandise and is compatible with the world’s 8.2 MHz radiofrequency EAS infrastructure.
- Moreover, the increased inclination toward digital operations and augmented growth potential in emerging economies are some of the principal opportunities for EAS providers. The clothing & fashion accessories products stores are anticipated to have a major market share of the EAS technology.
Scope of the Report
Electronic article surveillance (EAS) market provides components, such as Tags, Antennas. Through the technological procedure, it prevents shoplifting from retail stores, such as clothing & fashion accessories, supermarkets, etc.
The scope of the report covers components such as Tags, Antennas, deactivators/detachers and end-users catering to clothing & fashion accessories, cosmetics/pharmacy, supermarkets, and mass merchandise stores, and also covers the major geographical regions.
|Other Components (Labels and Safers)|
|Clothing & Fashion Accessories|
|Supermarkets and Mass Merchandise Stores|
|Rest of the World|
Key Market Trends
Tags to Witness Significant Market Growth
- Tags are expected to witness significant demand during the forecasted period. The tags are being offered in various designs and sizes according to their applications. Vendors are innovating and launching new products at regular intervals. For instance, in March 2021, Prosegur Security introduced DoubleLock, a new EAS tag, which reduced the number of tag defeats by 60% in a use case. The Double Lock EAS tag incorporates a patented hook and magnet release mechanism, making this tag difficult to defeat.
- EAS tags come in multiple form factor types. The most common type is a pin that goes through the item, which is generally attached to the product’s tags with a looping wire. These EAS tags are compatible with AM and RF systems, and some work with RFID technology. Further Incorporation of EAS in clothing & fashion accessories is driven by the benefits provided, such as ease of application, reduced labor, open merchandising and brand enhancement, speed of delivery on the shop floor, and better customer experience.
- Source tagging has been an effective security strategy that retailers use to prevent theft, and it has become a commonly accepted practice. The process includes the direct application of electronic security tags to consumer products at the time of manufacturing and/or packaging the product.
- Further players are innovating and expanding existing technology in tags integrating with AM or RF technology to provide solutions for any retail products. For instance, in Jan 2020, Checkpoint Systems added the Alpha ShoeLok to its line of specialized tags to protect against retail footwear theft. It unlocks with an Alpha S3 HandKey, Multi-Detacher, Super S3 Key providing a two-alarm system making it a high-security solution.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Hold a Significant Market Growth
- Asia-Pacific is foreseen to exhibit a significant growth rate in the EAS market. The increasing number of retail stores in the apparel, supermarket, and mass merchandise sector is anticipated to create a significant demand for EAS systems.
- For instance, in Aug 2020, Pomelo, a fashion brand, announced the expansion of retail stores in Southeast Asia, covering countries like Singapore and Malaysia, among others, to enhance the omnichannel customer experience. The company plans to increase footprint by introducing 20 new stores in the region. Such initiatives by fashion retailers drive the demand for EAS solutions in the region.
- Moreover, in 2020 around 12 million kirana stores in India teamed up with mom and pop stores to supply merchandise and upgrade their stores with digital operations to cornerstone the growth of Reliance Retail, Amazon and Walmart Inc-owned Flipkart. Such initiatives are driving the need for various EAS RFID tags in the region.
- The Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry has reached a deal with five major convenience stores, including Seven-Eleven Japan, FamilyMart, Lawson, Ministop, and New Days, to implement electronic tags for all products sold in their stores by 2025, a total of 100 billion products. All these development are expected to boost the studied market growth in the region.
- In addition, according to a study conducted by the China Commerce Association for General Merchandise (CCAGM) in 2020, 84.4% of China's 90 major department store operators planned to explore O2O (Online to Offline) integration. With the growing popularity of O2O integration, shops will primarily focus on adopting EAS solutions, As a result, demand for EAS increased, contributing to the market's expansion.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The Global Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS) system market is is moderately competitive, with a considerable number of regional and global players. The rise in the investments for the R&D activities and innovations is expected to enhance the market growth in the near future and offer potential growth opportunities for the new entrants in the coming few years.
- May 2021 - Johnson Controls announced partnership with VSBLTY Groupe Technologies Corp. to further advance Sensormatic Solutions, its leading global retail solutions portfolio, to offer retailers the ability to increase consumer engagement at the point-of-purchase and discover demographic insights driving those purchase decisions.
- October 2020 - Agon Systems introduced two new Concept Tag sizes, 40 mm and 45 mm. The 40 mm RF “no ink” Concept Tag has all the usual Concept Tag benefits and is clearly visible as a deterrent to attempted theft and well suited to high-end, higher-value retail.
- July 2021 - ADT Commercial announced its expansion into the EAS market through a strategic alliance with WG Security Products Inc., as well as with a team of vertical market players. The company will be installing and servicing WG Security Products’ comprehensive portfolio of EAS solutions in the United States that includes a full range of detection systems, specialty tags, hard tags, disposable labels, deactivation devices, and detachers.
- September 2020 - Avery Dennison announced the launch of its dual-technology AD-362r6-P inlay that primarily combines item-level tracking and digital ID capabilities of a high-performance RAIN RFID (UHF) tag that is suitable for a wide range of retail apparel products and applications, along with the secondary loss prevention functionality of an EAS tag.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHT
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of Impact of Covid-19 on the Industry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Protection Against Inventory Losses, Shoplifting, and Theft
5.1.2 High Adoption of Acousto Magnetic System for Wider Protection in Retail Stores
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Requirement of Additional Investment to Implement EAS Systems
5.2.2 Disruption in Retail Sector Affecting the Demand
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Component
6.1.4 Other Components (Labels and Safers)
6.2 By End-User
6.2.1 Clothing & Fashion Accessories
6.2.3 Supermarkets and Mass Merchandise Stores
6.2.4 Other End-Users
6.3.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia Pacific
6.3.4 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Sensormatic Solutions (Johnson Controls International plc)
7.1.2 Nedap N.V.
7.1.3 Gunnebo Gateway AB
7.1.4 Ketec, Inc.
7.1.5 Checkpoint Systems, Inc. (CCL Industries Inc.)
7.1.6 Agon Systems
7.1.7 All-Tag Corporation
7.1.8 Shenzhen Emeno Technology
7.1.9 Dexilon Automation S.L.
7.1.10 Tag Company (UK) Ltd
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Electronic Article Surveillance Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Electronic Article Surveillance Market?
The Electronic Article Surveillance Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.6% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Electronic Article Surveillance Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Electronic Article Surveillance Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Electronic Article Surveillance Market?
Sensormatic Solutions (Johnson Controls International plc), Nedap N.V., Gunnebo Gateway AB, Ketec, Inc., Checkpoint Systems, Inc. (CCL Industries Inc.) are the major companies operating in Electronic Article Surveillance Market.