Copper Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|CAGR||> 6.00 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia-Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Copper Market Analysis
During the time frame of the forecast, the copper market is expected to register a CAGR of more than 6%.
The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in lockdowns and shutdowns of industrial activities worldwide. Also, the mining of metals, including copper, slowed down in 2021. These factors negatively impacted the copper market.
- Increasing demand from the construction, electronics, and telecommunication industries is boosting the market’s growth.
- On the other hand, strict rules about mining could make it harder for the market to grow.
- Still, the growing demand for electric vehicles is likely to soon give the global market a chance to grow in a good way.
- During the forecast period, Asia-Pacific is expected to grow the fastest. This is mostly because the electrical and electronics industries in India and ASEAN countries are growing.
Copper Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Copper Market according to our research experts:
Growing Demand for Electrical and Electronics Segment
- Copper is being used for many applications due to its properties. Electronic applications of copper are wires and cables, dynamos, transformers, motors, electromagnets, switches, communication cables, residential electrical circuits, etc.
- Recently, the growth of electric vehicles has increased the demand for copper. Foils, stators, rotors, shaft heads, hollow wires, and motors are used in electrical vehicles consisting of heavy copper.
- According to the JEITA (Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association), the total global production by the electronics and IT industries rose by 11% year over year in 2021 to reach USD 3,415.9 billion. Thus, this factor is expected to increase the demand for copper materials used in the electronics segment.
- In North America, especially in the United States, the electronics industry is expected to grow moderately. According to the Consumer Technology Association (CTA), the US consumer technology sector is expected to grow to USD 505 billion in retail sales revenue by the end of this year, with a 2.8% rise in sales over 2021's growth of 9.6% over 2020. An increase in the demand for new technological products is expected to help expand the market in the future.
- The aforementioned factors are contributing to the increasing demand for copper market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the global market due to China’s highly developed construction and power generation sectors and the continuous investments in the region for advancements in the telecommunications and electronics sectors through the years.
- Copper is the oldest known metal still used in the construction industry. The unique combination of copper's physical properties—conductivity, corrosion resistance, durability, flexibility, and strength—makes it suitable for almost any construction project. Thus, growth in construction activities in Asia-Pacific may boost the copper market in the region.
- According to the National Development and Reform Commission, China, the growing demand for housing is likely to drive residential construction in the country, both in the public and private sectors. The number of new hotel projects in the country increased by about 19% in 2021. The increase in the construction of tall buildings and hotels is driving the market in the region.
- China is the largest consumer of electric vehicles. In 2021, China's electric vehicle sales increased by more than 50% after the modest growth seen in 2020. Thus, increased electric vehicle sales in China are estimated to fuel the Chinese copper market.
- In India, the market for medical devices saw a rise in demand, and the size of the market grew quickly.In September 2021, the Indian government sanctioned a proposal worth INR 5,000 crore (USD 674.36 million) to build a medical devices park in Himachal Pradesh’s industrial township, Nalagarh, in the Solan district. Since copper is a key part of many medical devices, it is expected that the rising demand will help the copper market in India.
- Such factors are boosting the demand for copper in various sectors.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Copper Industry Overview
The copper market is partially consolidated, with a few major players dominating a significant portion of the market. Some of the major players (not in any particular order) include Glencore, BHP, Codelco, Aurubis AG, and KGHM.
Copper Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Copper Market News
- November 2021: Aurubis AG further expanded its activities in recycling metal-bearing materials internationally. It started the construction of a multi metal recycling plant in the US state of Georgia. Circuit boards, copper cable, and other recycling materials containing metals will be processed into 35,000 tons of blister copper annually.
- May 2021: Glencore announced its plans to restart operations at the Mutanda copper and cobalt mine in 2022. The restarted operations at Mutanda could help the company ease shortages in the copper and cobalt markets, which are potentially capping further price gains.
Copper Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Demand from Electronics and Construction Industry
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Stringent Regulations Associated with Mining
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1 End-user Industry
5.1.1 Automotive and Heavy Equipment
5.1.3 Electrical and Electronics
5.1.5 Other End-user Industries (Consumer Products, Medical Devices, Etc.)
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.2.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.2.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Aurubis AG
6.4.3 Chinalco Shanghai Copper
6.4.6 Group Mexico
6.4.8 Southern Copper Corporation
6.4.9 Xstrata Plc
6.4.10 Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Demand from Electric Vehicles
Copper Market Research FAQs
What is the current Copper Market size?
The Copper Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 6% during the forecast period (2023-2027).
Who are the key players in Copper Market?
Glencore, BHP, Codelco, KGHM and Aurubis AG are the major companies operating in the Copper Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Copper Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2027).
Which region has the biggest share in Copper Market?
In 2023, the Asia-Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Copper Market.
Copper Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Copper market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Copper analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.