Content Delivery Network Market
The content delivery network market (henceforth referred to as CDN) was valued at USD 7.33 billion in 2017, and is expected to reach a value of USD 29.48 billion by 2023 at a CAGR of 26.1%, over the forecast period (2018-2023). The scope of the report is limited to products offered by major players.The end users considered under the scope of the report include media and entertainment, advertising, e-commerce, healthcare, business and financial services, research and education.
With the presence of the CDN market leaders in the region, North America is expected to dominate the market, overthe forecast period. Media content delivery held the major share among content network delivery solutions. Many organizations are adopting various video CDN platforms for sharing their promotional videos and media with their customers.
Rising demand for rich video content among the increasing online users and the trend of digitization among the organizations across the end user verticals, boosts the overall CDN market demand.
Rising Online Users, Per-capita Online Consumption, and Growing Demand for High Quality Video Content
According to Cisco’s visual networking index, IP video is projected to have 79% of the traffic by 2018, which indicates the growing trend of online video services. With the advent of 4K/UHD televisions, high definition supporting smart gadgets and improving connectivity are rising the expectations among the viewers for high quality content. Hence, scalable deliverable capacity and optimized storage mechanisms are becoming more essential for the CDN vendors. The number of internet users have increased by nearly 10 times when compared to the past decade.
The total world population using internet stands at 51.7%, which is responsible for the growing online content. Many gaming services have been adopting online channels for delivering content to the users, which has further enabled the growth of CDN market. One of the major companies, Cisco, has also predicted that the amount of internet traffic is expected to increase by fourfold, emphasizing the need for content delivery networks. It has been identified that 68% of the consumer traffic has been made up by video services, which is expected to rise to about 82%.
Media Delivery is Expected to Have High Market Share.
Rising demand for rich video content among the increasing online users and the trend of digitization among the organizations across the end user verticals, boosts the overall CDN market demand. Online gaming is one of the major areas where CDN is gaining prominence. The gaming companies are increasingly investing in CDN to deliver high-quality content for ensuring better user experience. Many media organizations are making a transition toward digital distribution model. These transitions present a great market opportunity to the CDN vendors. CDN vendors are increasingly focusing on the techniques for web performance optimization, in order to cater the mobile and dynamic content requirements. The amount of mobile traffic for media-related services accounted for about 45%, which is further expected to increase. The need for content to be mobile-compatible is further expected to increase, owing to the expected growth of consumed data to about 4.5 GB per month, which is now at an amount of 900 MB on average.
North America Has the Largest Share in Content Delivery Network Market, Owing to the Prevalence of Various Services.
North America has a high internet penetration rate, which is expected to aid the growth of content in that region. With the presence of the market leaders and early adoption of technologies across various end-user verticals, North America stood as the leading regional market and is expected to continue its dominance, overthe forecast period. The number viewers for online gaming content has also been increasing consistently. The growth of gaming video content has also been increasing, which is further contributing to the growth of CDN around the world.
In the United States, the usage of Paytv has also been reducing and increasing number of consumers have been identified to prefer online media content to Paytv. Off late, cord cutting has been accelerating and about 22.2 million cord cutting are expected to be done in the coming years, emphasizing the shift toward on-demand content.
Key Developments in the Content Delivery Network Market
- February 2017 - Amazon web services has continued its plans for expansion, as a new data center has been planned in a 44-acre space in the Loudon data center campus. Amazon has further planned on expansions in this area.
- January 2018 – Verizon Edgecast has extended the reach of the CDN to South Africa, Mexico, and France. With the extension of this network, CDN now spans over 56 countries for the company. This extension has increased the network capacity for the company by over 200%
- November 2017 - Companies, such as Edgemesh, have joined Google cloud technology, which has further added about six new locations for the delivery of such application services. Google has also enabled Edgemesh to increase the amount of traffic experienced by the company.
Content Delivery Network Market Major Players:
- Amazon Web Services Inc.
- Akamai Technologies, Inc.
- Google Inc.
- Edgecast Networks (VERIZON).
- Level 3 Communications.
- Limelight Networks, Inc.
- Highwinds Network Group.
- Internap Corporation.
Reasons to Purchase Content Delivery Network Market Report
- Growing media deliverable content acts as a driver to the global content delivery network market
- Analyze various perspectives on the market, with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The end-user that is expected to dominate the market is analyzed in detail
- The regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3-month analyst support, along with the market estimate sheet (in excel).
Customize Content Delivery Network Market Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
1.4 Key Study Deliverables
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Content Delivery Network Market Insights
4.1 Content Delivery Network Market Overview
4.2 Indusrty Attractiveness- Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain
5. Content Delivery Network Market Dynamics
5.1 Content Delivery Network Market Drivers
5.1.1 Rising Online Users, Per-Capita Online Consumption, and Rising Demand for High-quality Video Content
5.1.2 Growing Demand from Online Gaming Industry
5.1.3 Rising Number of DDoS Attacks Creating Demand for Cloud Security Services
5.1.4 Growing Demand from Developing Economies In APAC and Latin American Countries
5.2 Content Delivery Network Market Restraints
5.2.1 Larger Organizations Tending to Build Their Own CDNs
5.2.2 Bandwidth Concerns Particularly in Developing and Underdeveloped Economies
6. Global Content Delivery Network Market Segmentation
6.1 Content Delivery Network Market By Solution and Services
6.1.1 Media Delivery
6.1.2 Cloud Security
6.1.3 Web Performance
6.2 Content Delivery Network Market By End-User
6.2.1 Media and Entertainment
6.2.5 Business and Financial Services
6.2.6 Research and Education
6.3 Content Delivery Network Market By Region
6.3.1 North America Content Delivery Network Market Size (2018-2023)
6.3.2 Europe Content Delivery Network Market Size (2018-2023)
6.3.3 Asia-Pacific Content Delivery Network Market Size (2018-2023)
6.3.4 Middle East Content Delivery Network Market Size (2018-2023)
6.3.5 Latin America Content Delivery Network Market Size (2018-2023)
7. Content Delivery Network Market Key Vendor Profiles
7.1 Amazon Web Services Inc.
7.2 Akamai Technologies, Inc.
7.3 Google Inc.
7.4 Edgecast Networks (Verizon)
7.5 Level 3 Communications
7.6 Limelight Networks, Inc.
7.9 Highwinds Network Group
7.10 Internap Corporation
7.14 Hibernia Networks
*List is not Exhaustive
8. Content Delivery Network Market Investment Analysis
8.1 Recent Mergers and Acquisitions
8.2 Investment Scenario and Opportunities
9. Content Delivery Network Market Future Outlook