Calcium Hydroxide Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|CAGR||> 4.00 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Calcium Hydroxide Market Analysis
The market for calcium hydroxide is expected to register at a CAGR of greater than 4% during the forecast period.
COVID-19 significantly impacted the construction, water treatment, and pulp and paper industries, thus hampering the market growth. However, the industry recovered from that time onwards, and the market is driven by steady expansion in the construction, pulp, paper, and wastewater treatment industries.
- One of the major factors driving the market studied is the growing investment in the United States construction sector. Due to strict drinking water regulations, the wastewater treatment industry dominated the market globally and is expected to grow during the forecast period.
- However, the increasing renewable sources adoption for power generation in utility plants, as they avoid the need for flue gas treatment, is expected to restrain the market growth.
- The latest developments in FGD (Flue Gas Desulfurization) technology result in higher efficiency. It is expected to act as an opportunity in the coming future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the global market, with enormous consumption from China and followed by India.
Calcium Hydroxide Industry Segmentation
Calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2, also known as slaked lime, is obtained through the action of water on calcium oxide. It may appear as an odorless white powder or in granular form and is slightly bitter and alkaline in taste. If mixed with water, it dissolves in a small proportion, giving a solution called limewater. The calcium hydroxide market is segmented by end-user and geography. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into water treatment, construction, environmental gas treatment, food and beverages, pulp and paper, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts in 15 countries across major regions. The market sizing and forecasts are based on each segment's value (USD million).
|Environmental Gas Treatment|
|Food & Beverages|
|Pulp & Paper|
|Other End-user Industries|
Calcium Hydroxide Market Trends
Wastewater Treatment to Dominate the Market
- Calcium hydroxide is used as a flocculant in wastewater treatment to clean industrial and drinking water. It can also be used to lower the water's hardness. One of the most successful and cost-effective alkaline products used in drinking water production, wastewater treatment, and sludge is calcium hydroxide, sometimes known as slaked lime.
- It improves drinking water quality by softening, neutralizing, and removing suspended contaminants. Water can also be disinfected by treating it with calcium hydroxide. The bacteria and viruses present in the water are primarily removed when the pH of the water is raised to 10.5 - 11 by adding calcium hydroxide over 24-72 hours. Also, the presence of dissolved heavy metals is eliminated.
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends using calcium hydroxide in wastewater treatment in the United States and Europe. Various ordinances govern sludge treatment. The therapy specifies the utilization of calcium hydroxide for treating and cleaning sludges.
- According to Stabel, the Belgian statistical office, Belgium's revenue from wastewater treatment was approximately EUR 612 million (~USD 650 million) as of the end of 2022, an increase of 8% over the same period the year before. Wastewater treatment generated about EUR 1.7 billion (USD 1.8 billion) in total revenue in 2022.
- The United States, which provides services for millions of Americans, is expected to increase the number of wastewater treatment plants in the coming years. It is owing to the funds granted by the government as part of the Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (WIFIA).
- According to the US Census Bureau, the total capital expenditures for water, sewage, and other system utilities in the United States in 2021 were close to USD 6 billion, an increase of 8% over the expenditures in the prior year, which were close to USD 5.5 billion.
- As per the various company reports, BASF SE accounted for the highest revenue in 2021 at approximately USD 89.4 billion in water and wastewater treatment revenue. It was followed by Dow at around USD 55 billion, and 3M at around USD 35.5 billion.
- Water and wastewater treatment is growing in importance due to rising populations, water scarcity, and declining water quality, owing to which countries like the United Kingdom, Germany, and France, established stringent regulations regarding wastewater treatment. This increased focus on wastewater treatment will likely boost the demand for calcium hydroxide.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share globally. With growing construction activities, increasing food and beverage, water treatment, and pulp and paper industry in countries such as China and India, calcium hydroxide usage is increasing in the region. Calcium hydroxide includes multiple applications in construction as a critical ingredient in the preparation of asphalt and mortars.
- Just 6% to 7% of the world's freshwater is found in China, despite the country having around 20% of the global population. According to the International Trade Administration, China intends to construct or upgrade 80,000 km of sewage collection pipeline networks between 2021 and 2025, increasing sewage treatment capacity by 20 million cubic m/day. Additionally, the development of wastewater treatment facilities in second and third-tier cities and chances for sewage pipeline maintenance will be made possible by China's strong regulatory backing and investment focus.
- In India, under the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) 2.0 launched in October 2021, INR 15,883 crore (~USD 2.16 billion) was being allocated to States/UTs for wastewater/used water management. It also includes setting up STPs and FSTPs (fecal sludge treatment plants).
- In addition, China's building industry is expanding dramatically. The fourth quarter of 2022 saw an increase in China's construction output of around 50% over the previous quarter (USD 27.6 billion), reaching an estimated CNY 276 billion (about USD 40 billion), according to the National Bureau of Statistics of China.
- The Indian government, in its Union Budget 2022-23 as well allocated INR 48,000 crores (~USD 5.8 billion) for its PM Aawas Yojana scheme, reiterating its commitment to building affordable homes for the urban poor.
- The building and construction sector in Japan also saw significant growth. According to Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT), total investments in the construction sector are expected to total over JPY 66,990 billion (USD 508,16 billion) in 2022, up roughly 0.6% from the previous year.
- The ASEAN building and construction sector's rising investment is projected to fuel market expansion in this area. In addition, the rapid urbanization of Southeast Asia may fuel the expansion of the industrial water treatment sector, which in turn may increase the region's need for calcium hydroxide.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Calcium Hydroxide Industry Overview
The calcium hydroxide market is partially fragmented, with the top players accounting for a small market share. Some major companies in this market include Carmeuse, Graymont Limited, Lhoist, Hydrite Chemical, and Mississippi Lime Company, among others.
Calcium Hydroxide Market Leaders
Mississippi Lime Company
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Calcium Hydroxide Market News
- The full report will cover recent developments in the market studied.
Calcium Hydroxide Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Private Investment in US Construction Sector
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Adoption of Renewable Sources for Power Generation in Utility Plants
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Trade Analysis
4.6 Price Trends
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value)
5.1 End-user Industry
5.1.1 Water Treatment
5.1.3 Environmental Gas Treatment
5.1.4 Food & Beverages
5.1.5 Pulp & Paper
5.1.6 Other End-user Industries
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.2.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.2.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.2.5 Middle East & Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)** / Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 CAO Industries Sdn Bhd.
6.4.3 GFS Chemicals, Inc.
6.4.4 Graymont Limited
6.4.5 Hydrite Chemical
6.4.6 Innova Corporate
6.4.7 Jost Chemical Co.
6.4.9 Mississippi Lime Company
6.4.10 United States Lime & Minerals, Inc.
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Developments in FGD (Flue Gas Desulfurization) technology
Calcium Hydroxide Market Research FAQs
What is the current Calcium Hydroxide Market size?
The Calcium Hydroxide Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 4% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Calcium Hydroxide Market?
Graymont Limited, Lhoist, Mississippi Lime Company, Hydrite Chemical and Carmeuse are the major companies operating in the Calcium Hydroxide Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Calcium Hydroxide Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Calcium Hydroxide Market?
In 2023, the Asia Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Calcium Hydroxide Market.
Calcium Hydroxide Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Calcium Hydroxide market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Calcium Hydroxide analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.