|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The calcium carbide market was estimated at 27.5 million tons in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of about 4% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
Calcium carbide is mostly used for industrial applications and is used to produce acetylene and other chemical products. Chemical and metallurgical industries dominate calcium carbide consumption. The outbreak of COVID-19 has affected many manufacturing industries and general economic activities. The implementation of lockdowns across various countries and disruptions in supply has affected the chemical industry. At the same time, the slump in economic activity has affected the development in infrastructure, the establishment of new industries, and expansions, which has a series impact on demand for metal products, affecting the metallurgical industry.
- Over the short term, the rising demand from the chemical industry is likely to drive the market demand. The chemical industry accounts for the largest share, holding more than 70% of the total volume of the calcium carbide market.
- On the flip side, the detrimental health effects related to calcium carbide are estimated to hinder the market's growth.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market, with China being the largest producer and consumer of calcium carbide globally. The well-established chemical and metallurgical industries in the Asia-Pacific region are dominating the market growth.
Scope of the Report
Calcium carbide is produced industrially by using calcium oxide and coke. Calcium carbide is used for a variety of applications in the chemical industry. The calcium carbide market is segmented by application, end-user industry, and geography. By application, the market is segmented into acetylene gas, calcium cyanamide, reducing and dehydrating agent, desulfurizing and deoxidizing agent, and other applications. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into chemical, metallurgy, food, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size of and forecasts for the calcium carbide market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kiloton).
|Reducing and Dehydrating Agent|
|Desulfurizing and Deoxidizing Agent|
|Other Applications (Modulizing Agent and Finishing Slag)|
|Other End-user Industries (Pyrotechnics, Carbide Lamps, etc.)|
Key Market Trends
Acetylene Gas Application to Dominate the Market
- Acetylene gas is manufactured by reacting calcium carbide with water. It is a combustible gas with a distinctive odor. The gas becomes explosive when it is liquefied, compressed, heated, or mixed with air. For this reason, special precaution is taken while handling the gas.
- One of the most extensive applications of acetylene gas is its use in the preparation of various organic chemicals. One such chemical is 1,4-butanediol, which is widely used in the synthesis of polyurethane and polyester plastics.
- Bulk acetylene can also be used as a raw material to produce acetaldehyde, acetic anhydrite, and acetic acid.
- Acetylene is also used for oxyacetylene cutting, welding, and heat-treating. Acetylene gas flame has the highest flame temperature among many common hydrocarbons because of the presence of a triple bond structure. Combustion with oxygen results in the flame temperature of 3090 °C, releasing 54.8 kJ/liter (1470 BTUs/ft3 ) of energy.
- Acetylene gas is also used for flame cleaning of sheet metal surfaces. By this process, rust, mill scale, and other scales are removed by low-cost flame cleaning. This also results in enhancing the corrosion resistance of the surfaces. For this reason, flame-cleaned surfaces ensure excellent adhesion of paints and coatings.
- With the increasing demand for acetylene gas, the consumption of calcium carbide is projected to increase during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China to Dominate the Market at Asia-Pacific and Global Level
- China is the world’s largest producer and consumer of calcium carbide. The country is the most dominant player in the market, with more than 85% of the share.
- As a result of its large reserves and growing demand for VCM (vinyl chloride monomer), VAM (vinyl acetate monomer), and BDO (butanediol) from acetylene, the consumption of calcium carbide is increasing at a yearly average rate of more than 8%.
- Moreover, the country has the largest consumption of coal. Not only has it been used for power generation, but the Chinese have been using coal for chemical products for a long time. Since the late 19th century, coal tar has been used to synthesize aromatics and special chemical compounds, primarily for the dye industry.
- Lately, the country has been using calcium carbide to convert coal to acetylene. This has led to the increased production of acrylonitrile (ACN), vinyl chloride monomer (VCM), 1,4-butanediol (BDO), and acrylic acid (AA).
- The conversion of CaC2 to polyvinyl chloride (PVC), represents over 80% of China’s total PVC production. Thus, the usage of calcium carbide is expected to play an important role as a raw material to produce acetylene-based chemicals during the forecast period.
- China is also the world’s largest exporter of calcium carbide. The country exports CaC2 to almost every neighboring country as well as other major countries across the world, including Japan, Guinea, Côte d'Ivoire, Mauritania, Sri Lanka, Djibouti, Indonesia, India, Nigeria, etc.
- China is one of the largest producers of steel in the world. Despite the covid outbreak, the country produced 1,052.99 million ton of crude steel in 2020, which increased by 5.2% compared to 1,001.31 million ton in 2019. The growing steel production in the country is indirectly driving the market for calcium carbide in the country.
- The country recovered from the COVID-19 and is getting back on track. The country's economic growth is likely to be moderate, and the demand for calcium carbide is estimated to grow at a healthy rate during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The calcium carbide market is partially fragmented in nature, with intense competition among the top players to increase the shares in the market. The top 7 players account for around 25% of the global market share. China accounts for around 90% of the total production and consumption in the market studied. The major players in the market include Xinjiang Zhongtai Chemical Co., Ltd, Xinjiang Tianye (Group) Co., Ltd, Ningxia Jinhaoyuan Chemical Group Co. Ltd, Inner Mongolia Baiyanhu Chemical Limited Liability Company, and Denka Company Limited.
- In January 2020, AlzChem introduced CacliPro to the Russian steel industry, which is already a well-established product in the European steel industry. CalciPro is used for calcium treatment of molten steel and improves castability and mechanical properties of finished steel products.
- In February 2018, AlzChem introduced CalciPro, a cored wire based on calcium carbide, for calcium treatment in secondary metallurgy. It converts alumina inclusions into calcium aluminates to prevent clogging with high efficiency and improves castability.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Steel Production Across the World
4.1.2 Growing Deamnd from the Chemical Industry
4.2.1 Detrimental Health Effects
4.2.2 Impact of COVID-19
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Trade Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Acetylene Gas
5.1.2 Calcium Cyanamide
5.1.3 Reducing and Dehydrating Agent
5.1.4 Desulfurizing and Deoxidizing Agent
5.1.5 Other Applications (Modulizing Agent and Finishing Slag)
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.4 Other End-user Industries (Pyrotechnics, Carbide Lamps, etc.)
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 AlzChem Group AG
6.4.2 American Elements
6.4.3 Carbide Industries LLC
6.4.4 DCM Shriram
6.4.5 Denka Company Limited
6.4.6 Inner Mongolia Baiyanhu Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.7 MCB INDUSTRIES SDN. BHD.
6.4.8 Merck KGaA
6.4.9 Mil-Spec Industries Corporation
6.4.10 NGO CHEMICAL GROUP LTD
6.4.11 Ningxia Jinhaoyuan Chemical Group Co. Ltd
6.4.12 Ningxia Yinglite Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.13 Xiahuayuan Xuguang Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.14 Xinjiang Tianye (Group) Co. Ltd
6.4.15 Xinjiang Zhongtai Chemical Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Downstrem Application of Acetylene
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Calcium Carbide Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Calcium Carbide Market?
The Calcium Carbide Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Calcium Carbide Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Calcium Carbide Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Calcium Carbide Market?
Xinjiang Zhongtai Chemical Co., Ltd., Xinjiang Tianye (Group) Co., Ltd, Ningxia Jinhaoyuan Chemical Group Co. Ltd, Inner Mongolia Baiyanhu Chemical Co., Ltd., Denka Limited Company are the major companies operating in Calcium Carbide Market.