|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The global calcite market is projected to register a CAGR of more than 5% in terms of the forecast period (2021-2026).
The global calcite market is hampered by the COVID-19 pandemic. The construction industry came to a standstill due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of laborers, and disruption in the supply chain. Due to prolonged construction inactivity, over 65% of companies in the construction sector have been severely affected. Additionally, the global pulp producers have witnessed a decline in the operating earnings by around 10%, along with a decline in consumption of around 2-4% in the global paper and forest products has impacted the calcite market. However, the condition is expected to recover in 2021, thereby, restoring the growth trajectory of the market studied.
- Over the medium term, the growth of the calcite market is likely to be driven by the growing demand for the paper and plastics packaging industry and the increasing demand from the building and construction industry.
- The building and construction industry is expected to dominate the global calcite market over the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific represents the largest market, and it is also expected to be the fastest-growing market over the forecast period, owing to the increasing consumption from countries, such as China, India, and Japan.
Scope of the Report
Calcite is a mineral that forms rocks and has the chemical formula CaCO3. It is extremely common and can be found in sedimentary, metamorphic, and igneous rocks, worldwide. Some geologists consider it a 'ubiquitous mineral,' as it can be found anywhere. Calcite is the main component of limestone and marble. These rocks are extremely common and account for a huge percentage of the Earth's crust. They are one of the world's largest carbon repositories. The calcite market is segmented by type, end-user industry, and geography. By type, the market is segmented into Precipitated and Grounded. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into building and construction, paper and pulp, paints and coatings, plastics and polymers, adhesives, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the Calcite market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on revenue (USD million).
|By End-user Industry|
|Building and Construction|
|Paper and Pulp|
|Paints and Coatings|
|Plastics and Polymers|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Growing Demand for the Building and Construction Industry
- Calcite mineral is widely used in building and construction, and it is expected to be the fastest-growing market during the forecast period.
- Calcite is abundantly available, primarily as limestone and in metamorphic form as marble. Calcite is formed in the earth’s crust due to the chemical precipitation of calcium carbonate and the transformation of shells, coral, and algal debris into calcite.
- In modern construction, calcite in the form of limestone is used to produce cement and concrete. Marbles impart beauty to the home, which is available in a variety of colors and patterns. The increasing demand for marble flooring, kitchen tabletops, and bathroom countertops is expected to drive market growth. They are used in commercial as well as in residential buildings.
- United States holds the world’s largest construction industry, which recorded an annual expenditure of over USD 1,306 million in 2019 (a decline of 0.1%, when compared to 2018). According to the survey ‘Non-residential building spending to grow through 2020’ by the American Institute of Architects, the overall non-residential sector is expected to increase by 0.9% in 2020 and 1.5% in 2021. However, the construction of hotels is expected to dip by 1% in 2020 and 0.7% in 2021. Moreover, the construction of office spaces is expected to increase by 0.5% in 2020 and further by 3% in 2021.
- In Saudi Arabia, the construction industry is facing a shortage of affordable housing as a result of the growing population and an influx of immigrants. The construction industry contributes to nearly 6-7% of the total GDP of the country. In March of 2020, the Ministry of Housing announced the Sakani housing program, which can provide 120,000 housing units through 70 projects across neighborhoods all over the country.
- Furthermore, the construction industry in India has received a major boost by the investment of USD 1.4 billion, through private equity and venture capital investments, during October 2019. In India, the construction industry in revenue terms is expected to record a CAGR of 15.7% to reach USD 738.5 billion by 2022.
- The growing need for infrastructure development in emerging economies is expected to drive the calcite market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific to Dominate the Market Studied
- Asia Pacific is expected to dominate the calcite market, during the forecast period, due to the rapid increase in demand from countries, like China and India.
- Calcite as grounded calcium carbonate is mainly used as a filler for papermaking due to its high brightness, light scattering characteristics, abundant availability, and low cost, as compared to kaolin.
- The growing demand for paper packaging and tissue products in countries, like China and India, is expected to drive the market.
- According to the Chinese National Bureau of Statistics, paper and paperboard production increased 8% Y-o-Y to 11.83 million metric tons in November 2020. The country's total paper output increased by 0.5% Y-o-Y to 105.08 million metric tons in the first 11 months of 2020. Additionally, the country's newsprint output witnessed a growth of 13.5% Y-o-Y to 84,000 million metric tons in November 2020.
- Apart from paper, growing infrastructure demands are expected to contribute to the growth of the calcite market. Moreover, according to the National Development and Reform Commission of China, the Chinese government approved 26 infrastructure projects at an estimated investment of about USD 142 billion in 2019, which are expected to be completed by 2023.
- Currently, China has numerous airport construction projects, which are either in the development or planning stage. The Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) aims to construct 216 new airports by 2035 to meet the growing demands for air travel. China had a total of 234 civil airports at the end of October, and this number is likely to hit 450 by 2035. Additionally, the government rolled out massive construction plans for the movement of 250 million people to its new megacities over the next 10 years.
- The Indian government has allocated USD 63 billion for the infrastructure sector in 2019-2020, and it is planning to spend USD 1.4 trillion over the next five years. In the residential segment, the government is pushing huge projects in the next few years. The government’s ‘Housing for All’ initiative aims to build more than 20 million affordable homes for the urban poor by 2022. This is expected to provide a significant boost to residential construction (the market’s largest category), which will account for a third of the industry’s total value by 2023.
- Therefore, the factors mentioned above, coupled with government support, contribute to the increasing demand for the calcite market in Asia-Pacific during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The global calcite market is partially fragmented, with players accounting for a marginal share of the market studied. Few companies in the market include Mineral Technologies Inc., Nordkalk Corporation, AKJ Minchem, Imerys, and Omya AG, among others.
- In May 2020, Minerals Technologies Inc. announced that it had signed an agreement with Satia Industries Limited to build a 42,000 metric ton per year satellite precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC) plant at its paper mill in Sri Muktsar Sahib, Punjab District in India. The facility is scheduled to begin operation in the second quarter of 2021.
- In February 2020, Omya International AG and Idwala Industrial Holdings Ltd. formed a joint venture in South Africa, ‘Omya Idwala SA’. The joint venture is expected to have access to a high-quality and broad portfolio of Calcium Carbonate and Specialty Chemical products.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Demand for the Paper and Plastics Packaging Industry
4.1.2 Increasing Demand from the Building and Construction Industry
4.2.1 Unfavorable Conditions Arising due to the COVID-19 Outbreak
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Type
5.2 By End-user Industry
5.2.1 Building and Construction
5.2.2 Paper and Pulp
5.2.3 Paints and Coatings
5.2.4 Plastics and Polymers
5.2.6 Other End-user Industries
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 Asia Pacific
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 AKJ Minchem
6.4.2 ARANTHAANGI CHEMICAL PRODUCTS LTD
6.4.3 Ashirwad Minerals & Marbles
6.4.4 Celtic Chemicals Ltd
6.4.5 Earth MineChem
6.4.6 Fujian Sanmu Nano Calcium Carbonate Co. Ltd
6.4.7 Guangdong Qiangda New Materials Technology Co. Ltd
6.4.8 Gulshan Polyols Ltd
6.4.9 Huber Engineered Materials
6.4.11 Jay Minerals
6.4.12 Krishna Minerals
6.4.13 Mewar Microns
6.4.14 Minerals Technologies Inc.
6.4.15 Nghe An Mineral Joint Stock Company
6.4.16 Nordkalk Corporation
6.4.17 Omya AG
6.4.18 Shanghai Calcium Carbonate Factory Co. Ltd
6.4.20 Weifang Santi Chemical Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Calcite Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Calcite Market?
The Calcite Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Calcite Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Calcite Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Calcite Market?
Mineral Technologies Inc., Nordkalk Corporation, Omya AG, AKJ Minchem, Imerys are the major companies operating in Calcite Market.