|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The calcium carbonate market size was estimated at over 90 million ton in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19. The disruption in the global supply chain coupled with reduced demand from various end-user industries has negatively impacted the demand for calcium carbonate. The global automotive end-use industry witnessed a decline in sales in 2020, which was approximately 64 million units, much below 80 million units sold in 2017. Additionally, reduced demand from the paints and coatings industry, owing to a decline in the manufacturing and service industry, has impacted the demand for calcium carbonate.
- Over the medium term, growing construction activities and demand from industries, such as paper and pulp, plastic, and construction in Asia-Pacific are driving the growth of the calcium carbonate market.
- The Asia-Pacific region, which includes the major consuming countries, such as China, India, and Japan, dominated the global market.
- Rising consumer awareness regarding the environmental impact of automobiles coupled with rising demand for the electric automobile in the region is likely to propel the market growth in the region.
- Health hazards associated with calcium carbonate are expected to hinder the market growth during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Calcium carbonate is a naturally occurring substance found in rocks as minerals aragonite and calcite. Calcium carbonate is insoluble in water and generally appears in odorless white powder. The market is segmented on the basis of type, application, end-user, and geography. By type, the market is segmented into ground calcium carbonate and precipitated calcium carbonate. By application, the market is segmented into raw substance for construction material, dietary supplement, additive for thermoplastics, filler and pigment, component of adhesives, desulfurization of fuel gas, neutralizing agent in soil, and other applications. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into paper, plastic, adhesives and sealants, construction, paints and coatings, pharmaceutical, automotive, agriculture, rubber, and other end-user industry. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the calcium carbonate market in 18 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kiloton).
|Ground Calcium Carbonate|
|Precipitated Calcium Carbonate|
|Raw Substance for Construction Material|
|Additive for Thermoplastics|
|Filler and Pigment|
|Component of Adhesives|
|Desulfurization of Fuel Gas|
|Neutralizing Agent in Soil|
|Adhesives and Sealants|
|Paints and Coatings|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Paper Industry
- Calcium carbonate is widely used in the paper mill as a filler material in the alkaline paper-making process. Growing demand for brighter and bulkier paper is the key driver behind the preference for calcium carbonate in the paper industry.
- In the paper industry, calcium carbonate is valued worldwide for its high brightness and light scattering characteristics, and it is used as an inexpensive filler to make bright opaque paper. The filler is used at the wet-end of paper-making machines, and calcium carbonate filler makes the paper bright and smooth.
- Additionally, countries like China, India, Canada, the United States, and European Union Countries banning the single-use plastic packaging products is driving the demand for paper for packaging solution in the grocery store, food delivery system, clothing stores, and others, positively impacting the demand for calcium carbonate in the paper end-use industry.
- Both types of calcium carbonate, i.e., ground calcium carbonate (GCC) and precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC), are used in the paper industry. GCC filler material is used in the alkaline wood-free paper-making process. The brightness of GCC is 86%-95%. However, PCC is preferred over GCC in paper mills since it provides better gloss and opacity properties for the paper, and the brightness of PCC is 90%-97%. PCC is the most cost-effective mineral for producing high-quality paper and paperboard via substitution of more expensive wood pulp, additives, or other minerals.
- Currently, Asia-Pacific leads the market, in terms of the demand for calcium carbonate in the paper industry, with China being the leading consumer. Increasing demand for paper packaging and tissue products is expected to drive the market in the Asia-Pacific region. The packaging demand is driven by rapid economic upticks and growing food consumption in the region. The tissue demand is driven by population growth and improving hygiene standards.
- All the aforementioned factors, in turn, are expected to increase the demand for calcium carbonate during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Lead the Calcium Carbonate Market
- Asia-Pacific is projected to lead the market for calcium carbonate, owing to the increasing construction activities in the region. China is the largest economy in the Asia-Pacific region, and it registered a growth of 1.9% in 2020, and it is expected to grow by 8.2% in 2021.
- Besides the growing construction industry in the region, the demand for calcium carbonate is expected to be driven by the increasing economic activities and new investment opportunities in the emerging economies, such as China, India, Indonesia, and other countries.
- China is the largest pulp and paper producing country in the world, owing to large forest reserves (22.5% of the land area). The industry is modern, highly mechanized, and the labor is cheap. Forest cover is increasing in China, owing to the government afforestation initiatives.
- China is the largest manufacturer and consumer of plastics, adhesives and sealants, rubber, and paints and coatings, globally. The majority of plastics, adhesives, and sealants, and paints and coatings are consumed by the automotive and construction industry. The automotive industry is the major consumer of rubber.
- Overall, with the demand increasing from various end-user industries in the region, the market for calcium carbonate is projected to increase at a high rate during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The calcium carbonate market is partially consolidated in nature. Some of the major players in the market include Omya AG, Mineral Technologies Inc., Imerys, OKUTAMA KOGYO CO. LTD, and SCHAEFER KALK GmbH & Co. KG.
- In April 2020, Imerys started supplying ground calcium carbonate (GCC) for the manufacturing of medicals gloves. This initiative was intended to cater to the sudden increase in demand for medical gloves and bring down the cost of manufacturing medical gloves.
- In January 2020, Omya AG announced an increase in the price of calcium carbonate by 8% in the United States and Canada. The increase in the price of calcium carbonate is a result of the rising cost of raw materials, chemicals, labor, energy, and transportation in the region.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Construction Activities in the Asia-Pacific Region
4.1.2 Growth of the Packaging and Tissue Paper Market
4.1.3 Replacement of Kaolin by Calcium Carbonate in the Paper Industry
4.2.1 Health Hazards Associated with Calcium Carbonate
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Volume)
5.1.1 Ground Calcium Carbonate
5.1.2 Precipitated Calcium Carbonate
5.2.1 Raw Substance for Construction Material
5.2.2 Dietary Supplement
5.2.3 Additive for Thermoplastics
5.2.4 Filler and Pigment
5.2.5 Component of Adhesives
5.2.6 Desulfurization of Fuel Gas
5.2.7 Neutralizing Agent in Soil
5.2.8 Other Applications
5.3 End-user Industry
5.3.3 Adhesives and Sealants
5.3.5 Paints and Coatings
5.3.10 Other End-user Industries
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 ASEAN Countries
184.108.40.206 Australia & New Zealand
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.4.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 Chemical & Mineral Industries Pvt. Ltd
6.4.3 FUJIAN SANMU NANO CALCIUM CARBONATE CO. LTD
6.4.4 Gulshan Polyols Ltd
6.4.5 GLC Minerals LLC
6.4.6 Huber Engineered Materials
6.4.10 MARUO CALCIUM CO. LTD
6.4.11 Minerals Technologies Inc.
6.4.12 Mississippi Lime Company
6.4.13 Newpark Resources Inc.
6.4.14 OKUTAMA KOGYO CO. LTD
6.4.15 Omya AG
6.4.16 Provale Holding S/A
6.4.17 SCHAEFER KALK GmbH & Co. KG.
6.4.18 Shiraishi Kogyo Kaisha Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Demand from the Plastic and Rubber Industry for Nano-calcium Carbonate
7.2 Emergence of Green Applications
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Calcium Carbonate Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Calcium Carbonate Market?
The Calcium Carbonate Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Calcium Carbonate Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Calcium Carbonate Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Calcium Carbonate Market?
Omya AG, Mineral Technologies Inc., Imerys , OKUTAMA KOGYO CO.,LTD., SCHAEFER KALK GmbH & Co. KG are the major companies operating in Calcium Carbonate Market.