Calcium Carbonate Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Market Volume (2024)
|164.42 Million tons
|Market Volume (2029)
|191.36 Million tons
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Calcium Carbonate Market Analysis
The Calcium Carbonate Market size is estimated at 164.42 Million tons in 2024, and is expected to reach 191.36 Million tons by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 3.08% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
The outbreak of COVID-19 and resultant lockdowns and social distancing norms led to the complete shutdown of various industries in the automotive, construction, and other manufacturing segments. However, the market is currently estimated to have reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Over the medium term, major factors driving the global calcium carbonate market are growing construction activities in the Asia-Pacific region and the replacement of kaolin with calcium carbonate in the paper industry.
- Health hazards associated with calcium carbonate are expected to hinder the market's growth during the forecast period.
- The emerging importance of green applications is expected to provide new opportunities for the market studied.
- The Asia-Pacific region, which includes the major consumption countries, such as China, India, and Japan, dominates the global market.
Calcium Carbonate Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Calcium Carbonate Market according to our research experts:
Paper Sector to Dominate the Market
- Calcium carbonate is one of the essential ingredients considered for applications in the paper industry, as it is employed as fillers and for coating purposes. The working qualities of CaCO3, like opacity, brightness, and smoothness, make it an ideal component for the manufacturing of writing, printing, and packaging-grade paper.
- It is a mineral filler, which substantially reduces the production cost of paper. As the minerals are easier to be dried than fibers, it also reduces the cost of basic materials. Calcium carbonate is also used in paper coating, as it brings out the brightness and smoothness on the surface of printing paper.
- In the present scenario, CaCO3 is dominant over other papermaking filler materials. The main reason behind the preference for calcium carbonate is the demand for brighter and bulkier paper. There are significant advantages to the use of CaCO3 in the alkaline papermaking process.
- In the paper industry, calcium carbonate is used as a replacement for kaolin. Since the synthesized precipitated calcium carbonate is brighter and whiter than kaolin, many manufacturers have been using it for paper filling and coating purposes. It offers better opacity, gloss, high brightness, surface finishing, and improves printability.
- Calcium carbonate is not only used as a substitute for kaolin but also for wood pulp and additives. In the alkaline papermaking process, calcium carbonate is used in a paper mill as a filler material. Calcium carbonate amounts for 32% of the total share of filler and pigments used in paper production.
- Currently, the Asia-Pacific leads the market demand for calcium carbonate in the paper industry, with China being the leading consumer. Increasing demand for paper packaging and tissue products is expected to drive the market in the Asia-Pacific region. According to the Indian Paper Manufacturers Association (IPMA), the Indian paper industry accounts for about 4% of the world's production of paper. The estimated turnover of the industry is INR 70,000 crore (~USD 8,474.56 million) (domestic market size of INR 80,000 crores (~USD 9,685.21 million)), and its contribution to the exchequer is around INR 5,000 crore (~USD 605.33 million).
- The packaging demand is driven by rapid economic upticks and growing food consumption in the region. The tissue demand is driven by population growth and improving hygiene standards.
- All the aforementioned factors are expected to boost the demand for calcium carbonate during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Expected to Dominate the Global Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is projected to lead the market for calcium carbonate owing to increasing construction activities in the region.
- Along with the growing construction industry in the region, the demand for calcium carbonate is expected to be driven by increasing economic activities and new investment opportunities in emerging economies, such as China, India, and Indonesia, among others.
- China is the largest pulp and paper producing country in the world, owing to large forest reserves, which amount to 22.5% of the land area. The industry is modern and highly mechanized, and labor is cheap. Forest cover is increasing in China owing to the government's afforestation initiatives.
- China is globally the largest manufacturer and consumer of plastics, adhesives and sealants, rubber, and paints and coatings. The majority of plastics, adhesives and sealants, and paints and coatings are consumed by the automotive and construction industries. The automotive industry is the major consumer of rubber.
- The Indian government's 'Housing for All by 2022' scheme is also a major game-changer for the industry. Additionally, the Union Cabinet has approved the setting up of a USD 3.58 billion alternative investment fund (AIF) in order to revive around 1,600 stalled housing projects across the top cities in the country.
- According to the Indian Paper Manufacturers Association (IPMA), even though India's pulp and paper market has been growing around 6-7% per annum, the industry witnessed a drop in production over the past three years. This contrasts with the consumption, which is exhibiting a steady rise.
- Overall, with the demand increasing from various end-user industries in the region, the Asia-Pacific market for calcium carbonate is projected to dominate the global market.
Calcium Carbonate Industry Overview
The calcium carbonate market is partially consolidated in nature. Some of the major players in the market include Omya AG, Mineral Technologies Inc., Imerys, Shiraishi Group, and Sibelco, among others.
Calcium Carbonate Market Leaders
Mineral Technologies Inc.
Shriraishi Calcium Kaisha
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Calcium Carbonate Market News
- August 2022: Cimbar Resources Inc. announced that it had completed acquisitions of Imerys Carbonates USA Inc.'s calcium carbonate manufacturing assets in Sahuarita, Arizona, United States, in a bid to broaden its portfolio and to support its goal of providing a variety of products to customers from multiple locations.
- May 2022: Omya Inc. and its affiliates announced that it would increase prices on all calcium carbonate products by a minimum of 9%, effective November 1, 2022. This price increase is a result of cost escalation in energy, quarrying, and chemicals that the company experienced in the United States and Canada throughout 2022.
- April 2022: Imerys announced plans to expand its calcium carbonate production capacity at the Sylacauga plant, North America, as a part of its three-year site plan to support the growing demand for ground calcium carbonate (GCC) products.
Calcium Carbonate Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Construction Activities in the Asia-Pacific Region
4.1.2 Rapidly Increasing Packaging and Paper Industry
4.1.3 Replacement of Kaolin with Calcium Carbonate in Paper Industry
4.2.1 Health Hazards Associated with Calcium Carbonate
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1.1 Ground Calcium Carbonate (GCC)
5.1.2 Precipitated Calcium Carbonate (PCC)
5.2.1 Raw Substance for Construction Material
5.2.2 Dietary Supplement
5.2.3 Additive for Thermoplastics
5.2.4 Filler and Pigment
5.2.5 Component of Adhesives
5.2.6 Desulfurization of Fuel Gas
5.2.7 Neutralizing Agent in Soil
5.2.8 Other Applications
5.3 End-user Industry
5.3.3 Adhesives and Sealants
5.3.5 Paints and Coatings
5.3.10 Other End-user Industries
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 ASEAN Countries
18.104.22.168 Australia and New Zealand
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.4.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Chemical & Mineral Industries Pvt. Ltd
6.4.2 FUJIAN SANMU NANO CALCIUM CARBONATE CO. LTD
6.4.3 GLC Minerals
6.4.4 Gulshan Polyols Ltd
6.4.5 Huber Engineered Materials
6.4.9 Maruo Calcium Co. Ltd
6.4.10 Minerals Technologies Inc.
6.4.11 Mississippi Lime Company
6.4.12 Newpark Resources Inc.
6.4.13 OKUTAMA KOGYO CO. LTD
6.4.14 Omya AG
6.4.15 Provale Holding SA
6.4.16 SCHAEFER KALK GmbH & Co. KG.
6.4.17 Shiraishi Kogyo Kaisha Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Rising Demand from the Plastic and Rubber Industry for Nano-calcium Carbonate
7.2 Emerging Importance of Green Applications
Calcium Carbonate Market Research FAQs
How big is the Calcium Carbonate Market?
The Calcium Carbonate Market size is expected to reach 164.42 million tons in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 3.08% to reach 191.36 million tons by 2029.
What is the current Calcium Carbonate Market size?
In 2024, the Calcium Carbonate Market size is expected to reach 164.42 million tons.
Who are the key players in Calcium Carbonate Market?
Omya AG, Mineral Technologies Inc., Imerys , Shriraishi Calcium Kaisha and Sibelco are the major companies operating in the Calcium Carbonate Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Calcium Carbonate Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Calcium Carbonate Market?
In 2024, the Asia-Pacific accounts for the largest market share in Calcium Carbonate Market.
What years does this Calcium Carbonate Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Calcium Carbonate Market size was estimated at 159.51 million tons. The report covers the Calcium Carbonate Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Calcium Carbonate Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Calcium Carbonate Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Calcium Carbonate market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Calcium Carbonate analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.