Bioenergy Market Size
|Study Period:||2019 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Bioenergy Market Analysis
The installed capacity for bioenergy is expected to reach 220.4 GW by 2027, registering a CAGR of more than 6.8% during 2022 to 2027. Energy generated using bio-based renewable sources such as biofuel, biogas, biomass, and other bio-organic wastes is known as bioenergy. Lockdowns imposed across the world in 2020 and the first quarter of 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic resulted in a temporary ban on import and export and manufacturing and processing activities across various industries, which decreased the demand for bioenergy and related products from these consumers. The demand has been recovering since the second quarter of 2021. The growth in the bioenergy market can be attributed to the increasing shift toward renewables and other non-fossil fuel-based energy sources, such as solid biomass, biogas, and others. Factors such as the increasing demand for energy, advancements in bioenergy conversion technologies, increasing investments in bioenergy, and declining electricity generation costs from bioenergy facilities are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Solid biomass dominated the bioenergy market in 2021, and it is expected to continue its dominance during the forecast period, owing to its cost competitiveness in the production of bioenergy.
- Emerging waste-to-energy technologies, such as Dendro Liquid Energy (DLE), a recent German innovation in the biological treatment of waste, present high potential in the bioenergy field, being a close to ‘zero-waste’ technology.
- Europe dominated the market across the world, with the majority of the demand coming from countries such as Norway, Germany, and the United Kingdom.
Bioenergy Industry Segmentation
The bioenergy market report includes:
|Middle-East and Africa|
Bioenergy Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Bioenergy Market according to our research experts:
Biomass is Expected to Dominate the Market
- Bioenergy is energy derived from biological materials that are characterized as organic materials with stored chemical energy like wood and manure.
- According to the International Renewable Association, the annual global demand for biofuels is set to grow by 28% by 2026, reaching 186 billion liters.
- In 2020, bioenergy electricity generation increased by 53 TWh (+8%) from 2019, and it has accounted for more than 70% of the bioenergy installed capacity across the world.
- Biomass supply comes from a variety of feedstock – wood fuel, forestry residues, charcoal, pellets, agri-culture crops and residues, municipal and industrial waste, biogas, biofuels, etc. Broadly, the supply can be classified into three main sectors – forestry, agriculture, and waste.
- In 2020, more than 60% of the biopower generation in Europe came from solid biomass sources, such as wood chips and wood pellets, and around 20% came from municipal waste, followed by 15% from biogas. Similarly, electricity generated from biomass and waste accounted for approximately 2% of the total electricity generation in the United States.
- Adding to this, a similar trend has been witnessed in emerging countries, such as India and Indonesia. The biomass power generation capacity in India has rapidly grown over the last few years as the Indian government focuses on increasing power generation through renewable energy sources.
- Therefore, with the increasing demand for renewable energy sources across the world, biomass-based electricity generation is expected to witness a significant growth rate during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Europe is Expected to Dominate the Market
- As of 2020, Europe is the world leader in producing heat from biomass in power plants, with a share of 87% globally, followed by Asia at 8%.
- Bioenergy is expected to remain crucial over the next decade to reach renewable energy targets in 2030, which is why the European Union (EU) member states incorporated the bioenergy option in their National Renewable Energy Action Plans (NREAPs).
- Biomass is an essential renewable energy source and is a key factor in reaching the European climate targets in 2020 and toward 2030, where 32% of the energy consumption within the EU must originate from renewable energy sources.
- Bioenergy contributed to 6% of the total renewable energy power generation in Europe in 2020. Germany produced 7.5% of its total electricity from biomass or bioenergy in 2020.
- Germany is one of the leading countries in bioenergy, which had more than 8000 biogas plants till 2020, and it is expected to operate more plants during the forecast period. By 2022, the country has plans to procure nearly 40,000 MWh of electricity from 86 biogas cogeneration units.
- Further, countries like Italy are likely to support the region's growth in the bioenergy sector. In July 2020, BTS Biogas Srl, one of the market leaders in the biogas sector, and Engie signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) under which the two companies are planning to share expertise and resources to expand decarbonization efforts starting in Italy and expanding throughout Europe. The agreement is expected to create a shared project pipeline for the two companies, allowing both to maximize their considerable experience in developing, constructing, and managing facilities that create renewable natural gas from organic waste.
- Hence, with the upcoming projects and the targets to achieve a carbon-neutral environment during the upcoming years, the region is expected to have dominancy during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Bioenergy Industry Overview
The bioenergy market is moderately fragmented. Some of the major bioenergy technology providers and plant owners include Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd, Hitachi Zosen Corp., BTG Biomass Technology Group, Babcock & Wilcox Volund AS, Biomass Engineering Ltd, and Orsted AS.
Bioenergy Market Leaders
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd
BTG Biomass Technology Group
Hitachi Zosen Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Bioenergy Market News
- In July 2021, EnviTec Biogas AG signed an agreement with Liquind 24/7 GmbH to transport and distribute bio-LNG produced by EnviTec Biogas AG at Gustrow to heavy-duty customers at its truck fueling stations in Germany.
- In 2021, EnviTec Biogas AG started the operations for its biogas project in China, following a construction period of just 12 months. Input for the 1,570 Nm³ biogas plant located in Shanxi province would include maize stover silage, turkey litter, and dairy cattle manure.
Bioenergy Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Bioenergy Installed Capacity Historic and Forecast in GW, till 2027
4.3 Bioenergy Power Generation Historic and Forecast in TWh, till 2027
4.4 Recent Trends and Developments
4.5 Government Policies and Regulations
4.6 Market Dynamics
4.7 Supply Chain Analysis
4.8 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.8.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.8.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.8.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.8.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.8.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Solid Biomass
5.1.3 Renewable Waste
5.1.4 Other Types
5.2.2 Fast Pyrolysis
5.2.4 Other Technologies
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd
6.3.2 MVV Energie AG
6.3.3 A2A SpA
6.3.4 Hitachi Zosen Corp.
6.3.5 BTG Biomass Technology Group
6.3.6 Babcock & Wilcox Volund AS
6.3.7 Biomass Engineering Ltd
6.3.8 Orsted AS
6.3.10 Fortum Oyj
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Bioenergy Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Bioenergy Market is studied from 2019 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Bioenergy Market?
The Bioenergy Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.8% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Bioenergy Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2019 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Bioenergy Market?
Europe holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Bioenergy Market?
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd, BTG Biomass Technology Group, Orsted A/S, Fortum Oyj, Hitachi Zosen Corporation are the major companies operating in Bioenergy Market.
Bioenergy Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Bioenergy market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Bioenergy analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.