APAC Contract Logistics Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 246.69 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 318.59 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||5.25 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
APAC Contract Logistics Market Analysis
The Asia Pacific (APAC) Contract Logistics Market size is estimated at USD 246.69 billion in 2023, and is expected to reach USD 318.59 billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 5.25% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- China's logistics demand increased at a rather quick rate in the first three quarters of 2021, 9.4% higher than in the same period in 2020, despite the reappearance of COVID-19 and power disruptions. The market for contract logistics services benefits from the growth of e-commerce due to the rise in demand for these services brought on by the retail e-commerce boom. Moreover, services offered by e-commerce companies are growing in the area. This is expected to drive the market as e-commerce companies will benefit from the improved technology solutions, reduced risk, and scalability that contract logistics offers.
- To stay competitive and meet increasing consumer expectations for on-time and accurate deliveries, e-commerce retailers are outsourcing mission-critical components of their distribution and fulfillment operations to logistics companies. The degree of outsourcing in contract logistics is low indicating that there are opportunities for the growth of this industry. Going forward, China and India are two significant potential markets for outsourcing in the Asia Pacific region.
- Due to its rapid economic growth and vibrant business environment, Asia-Pacific is the fastest-emerging region in this market. Asia-Pacific has surpassed Europe to take the lead in the worldwide market for contract logistics. Strong economic growth, expanding retail enactment, and rising disposable income are all driving the growth in this region.
- In addition, an increase in the middle class population and urbanization have boosted domestic consumption of luxury products, household goods, and fast-moving consumer goods. As a result, the expansion of the contract logistics market in Asia-Pacific is being aided by an increase in retail sales in the region. Numerous new non-asset companies and established players are being drawn to this region by the booming e-commerce sector followed by the increase of foreign direct investment is boosting the contract logistics market.
APAC Contract Logistics Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the APAC Contract Logistics Market according to our research experts:
Demand from the Automotive Sector is Driving the Contract Logistics Services
Automotive is one of the most important areas in contract logistics, especially in places such as China, which has the world's largest automotive industry. Kuehne+Nagel has been steadily expanding its presence in China. India, the world's fourth-largest automotive industry, is expected to grow by 10% in 2022 due to solid underlying demand reflecting the economic growth of the country and customers' preference for personal vehicles over public transportation. In 2021, India grew at a rate of 27%.
In 2021, new vehicle sales in the Chinese market increased by 3.8% Y-o-Y to 26,275,000 units (on a factory-shipped basis, including exports), marking the first full-year increase in four years, despite a monthly Y-o-Y decline since May 2021. Despite the pandemic, carmakers in the region have kept pace going with the introduction of new models.
Nissan and Mazda also launched new cars amid the restricted movement in Indonesia, while Honda saw launches in Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Toyota was not one to be outdone with launches in Vietnam, Malaysia, and the Philippines. Meanwhile, the growing interest in electric cars was spotted in Singapore, as the netizens actively participated in discussions comparing the offerings of electric car manufacturers such as Tesla and BYD, besides the new launches of traditional manufacturers such as BMW. These factors are expected to play a key role in driving the market for APAC contract logistics market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Bolstering E-commerce in the Region is Stimulating the Demand for Contract Logistics Services
APAC is leading the global e-commerce market with high internet and mobile penetration coupled with a largely young and middle-class population. The region is also home to many small and medium enterprises that are going online to increase their business opportunities. Contract logistics offers e-commerce businesses advantages such as easy management of the business, advanced technological solutions, reduced risk, and scalability.
Asia is at the forefront of global e-commerce, and this trend is expected to continue in 2022. Asia accounted for roughly 60% of online retail sales worldwide in early 2021, with Chinese consumers making more than a third of all online transactions worldwide.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, internet platforms have become the key medium to perform business. In addition to the advent of new trade agreements like the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, which went into force in 2022, rising disposable incomes and increasing internet access across APAC are supporting the region's rapid e-commerce boom and burgeoning digital economy.
Since the COVID-19 outbreak, online shopping has grown dramatically, with an additional 70 million digital consumers added in Southeast Asia alone. By 2027, digital transformation is anticipated to be worth more than USD1.3 trillion in Asia alone. The rapid growth in e-commerce is also resulting in high demand for warehousing space. Moreover, the contract logistic operators are spending millions of dollars to secure a warehouse in a strategic location, reduce delivery times, and increase their respective market share.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
APAC Contract Logistics Industry Overview
The Asia-Pacific Contract logistics market is fragmented in nature, with a mix of major international and local companies. Some of the countries in the region, like Indonesia and the Philippines, are moderately growing, with the presence of a large number of local players and some major international players. However, Singapore, Vietnam, and Thailand are highly competitive markets, with the presence of a large number of international players. Companies are constantly under pressure to minimize costs and optimize operational efficiency. In the wake of investment shifts and diversification of global supply chains, international investors are increasingly interested in mergers and acquisitions in the APAC logistics market.
APAC Contract Logistics Market Leaders
Deutsche Post DHL Group (DHL Supply Chain)
Hitachi Transport System Ltd.
Yusen Logistics Co., Ltd.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
APAC Contract Logistics Market News
- August 2022: A.P. Moller - Maersk (Maersk) announced the successful completion of its acquisition of LF Logistics, a contract logistics firm with premium capabilities in omnichannel fulfillment services, e-commerce, and inland shipping in the Asia-Pacific area. Following the acquisition, Maersk will expand its current portfolio by 223 warehouses, increasing the total number of facilities, spread across 9.5 million square meters, to 549.
- April 2022: Geodis will acquire Keppel Logistics, to expand its contract logistics presence and e-commerce fulfillment services in Singapore and Southeast Asia. With around 500 people and a Singapore base, Keppel Logistics specializes in contract logistics. Keppel Logistics, which operates in Southeast Asia, has more than 200,000 square meters of warehouse space in Singapore, Malaysia, and Australia.
APAC Contract Logistics Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1 Analysis Methodology
2.2 Research Phases
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS AND INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Dynamics
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.4 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Value Chain / Supply Chain Analysis
4.4 Government Regulations and Initiatives
4.5 Technological Trends
4.6 Insights into E-Commerce Industry in the Region (Domestic and Cross-Border)
4.7 Insights into Contract Logistics in the Context of After-Sales/Reverse Logistics
4.8 Brief on Different Services Provided by Contract Logistics Players (Integrated Warehousing and Transportation, Supply Chain Services, and Other Value-added Services)
4.9 Spotlight on Freight Transportation Costs/Freight Rates for Key Routes
4.10 Brief on Freight Transport Corridors
4.11 Insights into Key Special Economic Zones (SEZs) and Manufacturing Hubs
4.12 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Type
5.2 By End User
5.2.1 Manufacturing and Automotive
5.2.2 Consumer Goods and Retail
5.2.4 Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals
5.2.5 Other End Users
5.3 By Country
5.3.4 South Korea
5.3.10 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Overview (Market Concentration, Major Players)
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 Deutsche Post DHL Group (DHL Supply Chain)
6.2.2 Kuehne + Nagel International AG
6.2.3 Schenker AG (DB Schenker)
6.2.4 CEVA Logistics
6.2.5 United Parcel Service Inc. (UPS Supply Chain Solutions)
6.2.6 Hitachi Transport System Ltd
6.2.7 CJ Logistics
6.2.8 Nippon Express Co. Ltd
6.2.9 Toll Group
6.2.10 Yusen Logistics Co. Ltd*
- *List Not Exhaustive
6.3 Other companies (Key Information/Overview)
6.3.1 Hellmann Worldwide Logistics, S.F.Holding Co. Ltd, Kerry Logistics Network Limited, Yamato holdings Co. Ltd, Leschaco Japan K.K., Agility Logistics Ltd, Rhenus Logistics, GAC, Geodis, Linc Group, BCR Australia Pty Ltd, Silk Contract Logistics, DSV A/S*
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
8.1 GDP Distribution, By Activity and By Region
8.2 Insights on Capital Flows
8.3 External Trade Statistics - Export and Import, By Product For Key Countries
8.4 Insights on Key Export Destinations of Key Countries
8.5 Insight on Key Import Origins of Key Countries
APAC Contract Logistics Market Research FAQs
How big is the APAC Contract Logistics Market?
The APAC Contract Logistics Market size is expected to reach USD 246.69 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 5.25% to reach USD 318.59 billion by 2028.
What is the current APAC Contract Logistics Market size?
In 2023, the APAC Contract Logistics Market size is expected to reach USD 246.69 billion.
Who are the key players in APAC Contract Logistics Market?
Deutsche Post DHL Group (DHL Supply Chain), CJ Logistics, Hitachi Transport System Ltd., DB Schenker and Yusen Logistics Co., Ltd. are the major companies operating in the APAC Contract Logistics Market.
APAC Contract Logistics Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Asia Pacific (APAC) Contract Logistics market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Asia Pacific (APAC) Contract Logistics analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.