The market is expected to reach a market value of USD 11.97 billion by 2022 at a CAGR of 6.8% over 2017-2022. Agricultural films are used extensively for soil protection, greenhouse farming, and mulching. The benefits derived include reduced soil erosion and compaction, temperature control, nutrient conservation, seed germination, weed control and protection against UV rays etc.
Agricultural films are treated as a modern day application used in many innovative agricultural practices. Growing need to elevate agricultural productivity in order to sustain the food demand of an expanding global population is the primary reason behind the commercialization of these specialty products. Shrinking farm lands and cost efficiency further help the market. Biodegradable and bio-based agricultural films would have a greater demand in the future. However, regulations pertaining to environmental safety and wastage are the major obstacles for the market.
Depending on the need and topography, various types of films are applied viz., low-density polyethylene, linear low-density polyethylene, high-density polyethylene, ethyl vinyl acetate (EVA)/ethylene butyl acrylate (EBA) and reclaims etc. Linear low-density polyethylene has the highest market penetration with the fastest growth rate globally. Low-density films are the second largest with more than one-fifth of the market share. By application, the market is segmented into greenhouse, silage, and mulch; out of these, mulching is leading with 45% of the global market share.
Asia-Pacific accounts for the majority market demand, led by China. The country holds the highest usage of agricultural films both in the region and globally. Shifting focus of consumers towards biodegradable films, act as a major driver for mature markets of Europe and North America. Rest of the world involving South America and Africa will experience average growth over the next few years.
Key Industry Players
Owing to the presence of several small-scale and regional players, the global marketplace for agricultural films is highly fragmented. Major companies operating in the global market with considerable market share are:
- BP Industries
- Britton Group
- AEP Industries Inc.
- AB Rani Plast Oy
Investment in R&D for product innovation, mergers and acquisitions and strategic collaboration with biotechnology firms some of the effective approaches employed over the years.
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Market analysis for the global agricultural films market, with region specific assessments and competition analysis on global and regional scales.
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenarios, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a global and regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market shares
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the global agricultural films market on both global and regional scales.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- Wide-ranging knowledge and insights about the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
- Insights into the major countries/regions in which this industry is growing and identifying the regions still untapped.
1.1 Market Definition
1.2 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Scope and Methodology
2.1 Study Deliverables
2.2 Study Assumptions
2.3 Research Methodology
2.4 Research Phases
3. Market Overview
3.2 Market/Technology Trends
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Development of Biodegradable PE Films and Other Innovations
4.1.2 Growing Food Demand and Shrinking Farm Land
4.1.3 Cost Efficiency
4.1.4 Adoption of Modern Farming Practices and Sustainability
4.2.1 Environmental Safety Concerns over Disposables
4.2.2 Government Regulations
5. Industry Analysis
5.1 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
5.1.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
5.1.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
5.1.3 Threat of New Entrants
5.1.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
5.1.5 Degree of Competition
6. Market Segmentation
6.1 By Type
6.1.1 Low-Density Polyethylene
6.1.2 Linear Low-Density Polyethylene
6.1.3 High-Density Polyethylene
6.1.4 Ethyl Vinyl Acetate (EVA)/Ethylene Butyl Acrylate (EBA)
6.1.6 Other Films
6.2 By Application
6.3 By Geography
6.3.1 North America
6.3.4 South America
126.96.36.199 South Africa
7. Competitive Landscape
7.1 Most Adopted Strategies
7.2 Most Active Companies
7.3 Market Share Analysis
8. Company Profiles
8.1 AB Rani Plast Oy
8.2 BASF SE
8.3 Berry Plastics Corporation
8.4 British Polythene Industries PLC
8.5 Britton Group LDC
8.6 The Dow Chemical Company
8.7 Plastika Kritis S.A.
8.8 Novamont S.p.A.
8.9 Hyplast NV
8.10 Trioplast AB
8.11 ExxonMobil Chemical
8.12 Armando Alvarez Group
8.13 AEP Industries Inc.
8.14 Group Barbier
8.15 RKW SE
8.16 INDVECO Group
8.17 Achilles Corporation
8.18 Kuraray Co. Ltd.
8.19 A. Schulman Inc.
8.20 POLIFILM GmbH
9. Future Outlook of the Market