Africa Small Cell Market Size
|Study Period:||2018- 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Africa Small Cell Market Analysis
Africa's small cell market is expected to register a CAGR of 17% over the forecast period. Small cells are ideal for utilization where macro-antennas cannot reach them. They also provide a way to rapidly deploy the power of a network with precision and customization for outdoor environments, from sports venues and school campuses to downtown street "canyons" and rural neighborhoods.
- Small cells are projected to make up most of the 5G networks. Small cells are necessary to run 5G networks because they only make the additional data capacity that 5G requires possible.Additionally, by eliminating pricey rooftop systems and installation fees, they aid carriers in cutting expenses. They are also anticipated to aid in improving functionality and battery life.
- Moreover, 5G would be implemented on already-used cellular radio frequencies. Still, it might allow operators to expand and address higher radio frequencies (beyond 20 GHz) to make them functional for mobile services. Moreover, because the signal cannot pass through walls, these frequencies can only be deployed in limited spaces. This encourages tiny cells for in-building applications since they provide superior connectivity for smartphones and Internet of Things (IoT) gadgets.
- The global increase in demand for mobile devices and the advancement of network technology and connected devices are pushing the market. Such demand has been driving the change in the delivery of IT services and has given the market's players a substantial opportunity to strengthen their position there.
- Small cell deployment has introduced new difficulties, such as the backhaul development of small cell networks, even though tiny cells can provide better network coverage at a lower cost.
The COVID-19 pandemic increased demand for wireless internet as people were restricted to their homes all day (due to lockdowns in many countries) and forced to work from home, connect remotely with their peers, and use the internet services for both work and entertainment. This led to a surge in online traffic, which acted as a key factor driving the growth of small cell networks, which are easy to install and cost-effective.
Africa Small Cell Industry Segmentation
Small cell towers are low-power, short-range wireless transmission systems to cover a small geographical area or indoor or outdoor applications. In 5G deployments, small cell towers play a significant role in providing high-speed mobile broadband and other low-latency applications efficiently.
The study analyzes the current deployment scenario of small cell towers in Africa and provides market forecasts based on the key indicators and deployment plans of the key network providers operating in the region. The study also draws a distinction between indoor and outdoor-based deployments and tracks key vendor activity and collaborations.
The Africa small cell market is segmented by application (outdoor, indoor) and by region (North and West Africa, South Africa, and the Rest of Africa).
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|North & West Africa|
|Rest of Africa|
Africa Small Cell Market Trends
Outdoor to Have Significant Share
- A tiny cell is linked to the main mobile network via the internet, either through the cloud indoors or wirelessly outside, utilizing broadband technologies. This strategy aids in preserving optimal coverage and capacity across both the current fourth-generation (4G) LTE networks and the developing 5G networks.
- Increasingly, small cell technologies are enabling the densification of outdoor networks rather than only providing coverage inside structures like arenas or buildings. Every significant communications service provider (CSP) has stated ambitions for network densification, and several have even begun integrating tiny cells into their networks. Such circumstances are likely to encourage the installation of a tiny cell in an outdoor setting.
- Also, networks grow to satisfy the demand for better and quicker coverage as 5G services and devices see an increase in demand. Small outdoor cells are therefore an essential component of these service-improving deployments.
- As transmission resources are a key bottleneck for the deployment of small outdoor cells across densely populated urban areas, it is, therefore, difficult to achieve wired transmission for all sites across the region.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
South Africa is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The Africa region is growing in terms of 5G deployment and strategic partnerships with global small cell companies, which are significant drivers for the market in the area.
- Vendors in Africa are working to increase mobile network coverage, which will drive demand for the small cell market in the region. Vodafone is actively trialing open RAN technology in Mozambique and the Democratic Republic of the Congo to broaden its potential base of suppliers and extend rural Internet access.
- In addition, various global companies are stepping into the country to drive 5G experiences for consumers by creating a dense environment for indoor coverage with the required speed, capacity, and low latency.
The growth in private networks in the region is also a significant trend that is assisting in the development of the market in the area. A private network uses a localized network infrastructure using small cells to provide coverage and connectivity for private use.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Africa Small Cell Industry Overview
Africa's small cell market is moderately competitive. The companies operating in the market are executing mergers and acquisitions, strategic partnerships, and product development to introduce new products. Significant players include Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Parallel Wireless Inc., and Airspan Networks Inc.
In November 2022, Parallel Wireless Inc., Türk Telekom, and Juniper Networks announced a collaboration to launch an open radio access network (Open RAN) pilot project. This initiative aims to speed TT Mobil's transition to a next-generation mobile network and broaden its supplier partnerships. TT Mobil was expected to be able to test Open RAN technology that can support different mobile operating generations, from 2G to 5G, thanks to the USTDA-funded trial. The pilot was expected to involve both a site trial of Open RAN technology at Türk Telekom field sites and a lab trial for 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G Open RAN technologies.
In July 2022, Airspan Networks announced it would collaborate with several Tier-1 mobile networks to simplify small cell deployment and automate their management systems to extend this collaboration into open RAN technology. The main focus is to increase the intelligence and automation related to performance, deployment, and management of an open RAN architecture by implementing a fully O-RAN Alliance-standardized RAN Intelligent Controller (RIC) together with A1 and O1 interfaces. This collaboration is estimated to further improve the development of the open RAN ecosystem.
Africa Small Cell Market Leaders
Parallel Wireless Inc.
Airspan Networks Inc.
T&W Electronics Co Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Africa Small Cell Market News
- November 2022: Airspan Networks Inc. announced the commercial availability of new 5G indoor and outdoor products. Airspan’s latest additions to its 5G portfolio are based on a flexible all-in-one (AIO) software platform, further upgradeable to a completely disaggregated vRAN and open RAN architecture (CU, DU, and RU). The flexible design philosophy supports future network growth and resource pooling features, all accessible using additional software.
- September 2022: Parallel Wireless announced it would work with AWS to deploy its cloud-native Any G (2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G) wireless network solution leveraging Amazon EKS anywhere. This collaboration accelerates Open RAN innovation by allowing us to share our real-world 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G macro deployment experience with AWS and leverage an R&D effort that is deployable across multiple topologies. The integration of Amazon EKS Anywhere and the scale of AWS will help us better address the diverse network architecture requirements of mobile network operators and accelerate open RAN market adoption.
Africa Small Cell Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2.5 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3 Industry Stakeholder Analysis
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Rapid Increase in Mobile Data Traffic in the Region
5.1.2 Growing Emphasis on Operational Efficiency and Reduction of Capital Expenditure through Replacement of Older Networks with Small Cell Towers
5.1.3 Steady Growth in Installations by Market Incumbents
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Concerns with State Regulations and Operatonal Challenges Related to Deployment in 5G Networks
5.3 Industry Standards & Regulations
5.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Small Cell Deployments and Connectivity
5.5 Major Implications and Technical Considerations Related to Installation of Small Cell Towers
5.6 Current Ownership Models and Emergence of Small Cell Leasing/Sharing Mechanism
5.7 Current Breakdown of the Connectivity Technology in Africa (3G, 4G & 5G)
6. ANALYSIS OF 5G ROADMAP IN AFRICA
7. MARKET SEGMENTATION
7.1 By Application
7.2 By Region
7.2.1 North & West Africa
7.2.2 South Africa
7.2.3 Rest of Africa
8. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
8.1 Company Profiles
8.1.1 Parallel Wireless Inc.
8.1.2 Airspan Networks Inc.
8.1.3 T&W Electronics Co Ltd.
8.1.4 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
8.1.5 Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson
8.1.6 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
8.1.7 ZTE Corporation
8.1.8 Baicells Technologies Co., Ltd.
8.1.9 NEC Corporation
8.1.10 Nokia Corporation
- *List Not Exhaustive
9. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS AND MARKET OUTLOOK
Africa Small Cell Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Africa Small Cell Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Africa Small Cell Market?
The Africa Small Cell Market is growing at a CAGR of 17% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Africa Small Cell Market?
Parallel Wireless Inc., Airspan Networks Inc., T&W Electronics Co Ltd., Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson are the major companies operating in Africa Small Cell Market.
Africa Small Cell Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Africa Small Cell market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Africa Small Cell analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.